What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big brother

mlts0807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does going thru a company's exchange server for email allow a company to monitor everything on the device? It's that way with my company blackberry because it goes through the enterprise service. I personally paid for the ipad and am only getting email through the exchange server and not connecting through a vpn etc.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be Exchange, it can be any mail server. Although the reality is most companies don't have the resources to look at everything you do, most companies do have a policy which states that they reserve the right to monitor all employee email and internet activity and will usually have filters set up to monitor for illegal or illicit activites.

They can't tell what else you are doing unless you go through their network to do it.

What are you doing that makes you ask? ;)

OP
M

mlts0807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you doing that makes you ask? ;)

Funny, didn't think about it that way....

I just don't like the idea of them having access to MY ipad. I am fine with anything that goes thru the work email exchange server being monitored. But that should be all that they are able to see (email). Right?

As far as what they wouldn't like, they would probably say i spend too much time on fantasy football.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
every company moniters what is sent through there email server system along with any website that you vist when on the company computer system..

as far them seeing anything that i have on the ipad ..that way i never connect to the company server for any reason ..

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one thing that people fail to understand when they are using an Internet connection provided by their employer (or someone else) is that there is "NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY". Assuming your company has some sort of employee handbook, I would be willing to bet there is a clause something like that in there.

OP
M

mlts0807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one thing that people fail to understand when they are using an Internet connection provided by their employer (or someone else) is that there is "NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY". Assuming your company has some sort of employee handbook, I would be willing to bet there is a clause something like that in there.

I understand that and have no issue with it all. My question is does setting up an email account on their exchange server make EVERYTHING i do go thru that exchange server? I would think it should be just that email address .

Thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The question is what method are you using to connect to your company's Exchange server? If you are at work but using your own 3g connection, then there is no way of knowing what you are doing with your iPad. If, however, you are using your company's Internet connection or VPN, they absolutely have the ability and the right to monitor EVERYTHING you do.

OP
M

mlts0807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The question is what method are you using to connect to your company's Exchange server? If you are at work but using your own 3g connection, then there is no way of knowing what you are doing with your iPad. If, however, you are using your company's Internet connection or VPN, they absolutely have the ability and the right to monitor EVERYTHING you do.

Then i should be good. I will only connect through non-work wifi or 3g. I am not installing vpn or any work programs. Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts