What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exchange E-Mail

Mojo Izzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All -
I have set up my work email (microsoft outlook - exchange) on my iPad and it works (!) through wifi when at work.

It does not, however, work through wifi at home or through 3G.

Is this because at work I am "inside" the firewall?

Do I need to set up the "VPN" tab under network?

Our IT guy says we use "watchguard" ipsec protocol. I notice that there is a tab in VPN configuration ipsec but with the "cisco" logo under it. I am under the assumption that this won't work with "watchguard". Is this correct?

Our IT guy is not real excited about helping me out or setting up L2TP or PPTP on the "watchguard" firewall. Before I push too hard does anybody know anything about this? I am not sure I explained it correctly.

Thank you for helping out a noob!

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whether using Mail with Exchange settings or OWA (Outlook Web Access) you should be able to access from outside your firewall. You'd only need a VPN if using Outlook which is not available on iPad. Ask your IT bods if it's to do with the domain name in the settings. Maybe if you're logging on internally you don't need the domain name but do externally?

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you tell us how it is set up on your iPad? POP3/SMTP or IMAP or Exchange Mode? Is the Exchange Server using security certificates? If, is it a trusted source or home made?

Nate

OP
M

Mojo Izzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Based on your input I played some more with it and got it to work.

I had used the outlook account information from my office. The server name was wrong and only worked inside the fire wall. When I changed it based on the OWA server information it started working (tested by turning off WIFI and using 3G).

Thank you all for your help.

Nate - we use exchange. The ipad says it doesnt trust it but I tell it to proceed and then it seems to work.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mojo Izzo said:
You are lucky to have such an IT department! Do you know what they did?

Nope - when they installed a ssl he also configured it. I would ask him but our IT Guy is not at our local office.

71wrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my work e-mail (Exchange) set up on my iPad. When I set it up it insisted that I have a passcode lock set. It wouldn't work without it. Might be worth a try (although probably doesn't explain the work/out of work issue).

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those companies with OWA, you can use the exchange client on the ipad to get your emal. With OWA setup, port 443 is opened between the OWA and Exchange server. Using your OWA credential, and server name (owa.MyCompanyDomain.com) will usually work.

Most reactions

Latest posts