What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad/blackberry inbox sync issue

Jmbb37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am going to post this in both an iPad forum and a blackberry forum, but figured i would do it here first since everyone looks so darn friendly.

My brand loyalty to mobile devices is all over the place. I use an iPad for pretty much everything web surfing and media related, but a blackberry (BIS) as my personal cell phone for talking, texting and personal email. When I got my iPad I set up an exchange account for my gmail, and syncing between the iPad and all my computers (home and work, pc and Mac), works great.

Unfortunately my blackberry is being pretty stubborn. Whenever I receive an email to my gmail account, which usually happens more or less at the same time on both the blackberry and the iPad, unless i open it on the blackberry first, it will show up as an unread message on my home screen even though there are no unread messages in my blackberry inbox. If i delete a new message from my iPad, it gets deleted on my blackberry as well, but the new message indicator never goes away. What that translates to is more or less reconciled inboxes between the two devices, but a new message indicator that is completely out of whack (currently at 2 on my iPad vs. 14 on my blackberry). No amount of restarts or battery pulls will get rid of the indicator. Obviously this is more of a minor inconvenience than it is a real problem, but it does have me pretty curious.

Anybody experienced this and have any advice? Should I just hightail it over to a blackberry forum, since this looks to be more of a blackberry issue than anything else?

Thanks for reading.

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both BlackBerry and iPad and this has never happened to me ...on the other hand , I don't use exchange , maybe your problem comes from there ?

OP
J

Jmbb37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both BlackBerry and iPad and this has never happened to me ...on the other hand , I don't use exchange , maybe your problem comes from there ?

Thanks for the reply. I only set up my gmail account as an exchange account because I wanted email to be pushed to the iPad without having to open the mail application. Without having done a ton of research, it seemed to me that setting up an exchange account on the iPad was the best way to alleviate this problem. I guess I am curious about why the blackberry is the only device having an issue (which of course in and of itself raises some other questions, but I am doing my best to avoid those).

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I set up mine as a regular Gmail and it really works fine , maybe you should try that !? I'm not a computer wiz and I really went for the easy option ;) Sorry if I can't help you more !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You get the push on the iPad with a regular GMail setup. The advantages of setting up as an exchange account are contacts syncing and the ability to sync multiple calendars.

I don't know if switching to a standard GMail (IMAP btw) account will fix your notification issues with the Blackberry, but it's easy to try. You won't lose anything by removing and re-adding accounts.

BTW, it is possible to setup and use both account types. Just make sure that you only turn on each service (email, calendar, contacts, etc) once. If email is turned on in one account, turn it off in the other.

I do this, though the only thing I have turned on in the standard GMail account is Note syncing. I don't know why I bother, since I almost never use the Notes app anyway, and have no reason to sync notes to GMail.

Most reactions