Best screen protector with NO bubbles ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by claire9971, Dec 29, 2010.

1. claire9971

claire9971 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought a screen protector from my local Comet, (now I forget which make it was though) and it is awful, it has left loads of horrible bubbles and it makes my Ipad look so cheap, pictures to show will be posted below. So who can honestly speak good words about a screen protector which they have? Please dont say I heard this ones good, I need you're own personal word because you have had it.

Attached Files:

2. Blackbelt

Blackbelt iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    There is reason Apple does not carry any screen films for Ipad.
  3. kvizzel

kvizzel iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Screen protectors aren't really needed.

Ever go into an Apple store and see their products covered in protectors?

Wonder how many people touch those things, and still just a simple wipe and it's brand new!
  4. iPadUser

iPadUser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want a good and durable one, The Zagg Invisible shield is a good choice. It is very strong and durable. To apply it, takes some time and patience. I suggest if you do get one, go to a local Best-Buy and they will install it for a small fee. Mine came out with no bubbles and looks perfect. This type of screen cover though leaves behind a faint "Orange Peel" effect. Some people say it alters how sensitive the screen works, but it works fine for me. Or you could just leave it without one. Apple made the screen so it doesn't scratch easily but I guess if you want to be extra safe then this would probably be one of the best choices. To get more info just google it, or look through these forums for a thread about it.(There are many)
  5. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Moshi iVisor. This protector goes on in about 10 seconds with no bubbles. If I can put this thing on anybody can.

The iPad screen is made of very rugged glass, but it only takes a grain of sand to make a scratch. Talk to any pro photographer and ask them what the easiest way to scratch a lens is. Chances are, sand will be the answer.
  6. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    +1 for the Zagg Invisible Shield. I opted to have mine installed by BB, and the employee did a fine job. No bubbles whatsoever. I do second that it leaves the apt described "orange peel" look, but faint is a good descriptor. I don't really notice it much, and I like my expensive tablet protected! I come from years of screen protectors on devices, and the Zagg is great. I don't have any issue with it affecting screen sensitivity- my screen is smooth as silk.
  7. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't those bubbles usually come out after a few days of use?

I'd imagine any protector could come with or without bubble depending on how carefully it's applied.
  8. iPadUser

iPadUser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you apply it, there are maybe a few small bubbles, but if you leave your ipad alone for about a day they all go away and it looks perfect. If there are any bubbles that persist after a few days, Best buy will replace it with a new one for no extra charge im almost positive.(if you had them put it on in the first place) But if all goes well there shouldnt be any bubbles.
  9. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Do they cover their lenses with protective film?
  10. iPadUser

iPadUser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually there are some protective films you can put over lenses that won't deteriorate from the image quality that much. Not that it is common by any means.
  11. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I currently use an antiglare protector from Brando for my iPad, although I have also used a Zagg screen protector on the iPhone.

The Brando was very easy to apply and works exactly as advertised - it reduces the reflective glare (a bit like going from the old-style glassy CRT monitors to a LCD screen) and practically eliminates fingerprint marks, with no bubbles at all. The Zagg can be a challenge to apply for some users, partly because it needs to be applied with a bottle of solution which helps the film adhere once it dries out.

In any case, regardless of the make of the protector, you need to keep your environment, filter and device surface as dust-free as you can while installing it - bubbles can form because of specks of dust getting onto the surface.
  12. Rakuen

Rakuen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the ZAGG shield, and it's absolutely great. I don't even notice the "orange peel" effect, in fact the screen works smoothly as if I didn't have a screen shield. I got it installed at a ZAGG kiosk. The rep had told me not to put a case on for a few days so the shield could set properly. I have no bubbles either. Recommended product. :)
  13. TXCheng

TXCheng iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always buy either a skylight or UV protective filters for all my DSLR lenses. Much cheaper to replace a filter than send in your lens.
  14. iPhoneKing

iPhoneKing iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Best Screen protector for my iPad IMHO is: MOSHI iVisor AG. After trying about 3 different brands I finally found the best of the best. Zero bubbles,perfect lining, 1 minute to install, beautiful looking screen, zero smudges and zero fingerprints!!!. Expensive ($30,00),but you are getting the best!!.

Try it...
  15. Last Gladius

Last Gladius iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Somebody earlier said the ZAGG Insvisble shield which is the best choice of screen protectors. It is made of the same material that is put on Military helicopter blades to prevent corrosion. This shield is somewhat difficult to install but if you are careful and know what you are doing, you will be fine. Mine had bubbles right after installation, but they do work themselves out in a night, you just cant cover the screen with anything, like an ipad folio case. The ZAGG shield is a great buy!
  16. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm personally not a fan of Zagg's invisashield. I find it to be a bit too expensive, too thick, and that it damages too easily(shows marring/bunching on the surface upon blunt contact). I also don't like the feel. A bit rubbery for my liking, and it isn't made in in an antiglare version. I know quite a few people who have bought invisashield for their iPhones/iPads who love it, so I'm not knocking it's effectiveness or ability to protect the glass.. Just the properties of the material itself.

Two filmsets I've come across that I do like are iShields ($35) for clear and Brookstone's filmset for iPad for antiglare ($25). iShields come with the same lifetime warranty as Zagg, but is not rubbery to the touch. The one from Brookstone's is my favorite, as I prefer to have antiglare on my iPad, and the antiglare coating allows my finger to glide across the screen like silk. I know everyone will have their favorites, and I'm sure that they will all do what they are advertised to do, but these are the best ones I've seen so far. I have personal experience with the Brookstone, and a friend of mine has the iShield. Both installed with no bubbles.
  17. Last Gladius

Last Gladius iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The ZAGG shield is a good choice is you are only going to be indoors, but obviously you would buy an anti-glare shield if you are going to be outside.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  18. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yeah - with Zagg, if you know a friend who's using one or can get hold of a device with their protective filter installed, it definitely helps to see and touch it firsthand before you decide on it.
  19. lightspeed

lightspeed iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get rid of dust and bubbles the easy way.

Your sort of right, but it depends whats caused the bubbles. If you've just got air pockets and no dust or grease under there then the air-bubbles will usually work their way out over a few days.

But if you've got dust trapped the best way of getting rid of the bubbles is to get some good quality sticky tape, stick it to the corner (nearest to the bubble) and use that to raise the SP as to not damage the edge. Then once the offending dust is exposed you can use another piece of tape to carefully dab off the dust being careful not to touch the underside with your fingers. Then just lay it back down and the air bubbles should be gone.

That technique should work on most good screen protectors, and if you mess it up totally you should be able to wash it.

Hope that helps some of you! :)

Thanks,
    Ed
  20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You must be my brother from another mother. I haven't installed the iVisor yet, but it is on my "I have to get this now, no matter what discount I can or cannot get".

Once I get the skinny on their shipping to Canada, I'll be ordering it that day.

And sand, sand, sand. Our back yard is currently undergoing renos (that will never end..) and there is open sand. that is what scratched my iPad initially. I didn't realize that until I went and got it swapped out, then was like "oh, my..."

It doesn't take much. Dogs bring the sand in. Kids get it on their hands. Hands touch and scratch the screen. That's all it took.

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever use an InvisibleShield product again.

EVER.

best buy was nice and gave me an invisible shield as a replacement when I brought mine back in, instead of installing the replacement I was sent from Zagg.

The put the antiglare shield on. It was the most terrible thing I have ever seen or used. EVER. TERRIBLE.

The fact that the other standard IS are so easy to cause dings/scrapes in... sure, they'll protect your iPad but one scratch on the screen of it and you're done.

Installing them is damn near impossible if you're even lightly OCD, and once they're on it's like they're extra sorts of "gummy"

No thanks. Moshi it is. Good to see someone else is happy with them.