What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best APP to access PC files through my Ipad

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to be able to view and copy files from my laptop and pc to my ipad. What is the best app to use on the ipad to allow access to my files over my home wifi network. My laptop is running windows 7 and my desktop is running xp. I also have some external hd's that are connected to my desktop that I would also like to access.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to be able to view and copy files from my laptop and pc to my ipad. What is the best app to use on the ipad to allow access to my files over my home wifi network. My laptop is running windows 7 and my desktop is running xp. I also have some external hd's that are connected to my desktop that I would also like to access.

GoodReader is the iPad's 'Swiss Army Knife' and its forte is file handling. It can upload files to your iPad over either WiFi or USB - there's no need for iTunes, for example. Once they're in GoodReader you can organise them into a folder structure and then open the files in whatever application supports them.

It's consistently voted the top 'must have' app by Forum members; just read the reviews at the App Store. It's very reasonably priced, very well supported and the Developer is constantly adding new features.

It also has a multitude of other features - excellent PDF reader with markup facility - ability to download files from the web (when Safari can't/won't do it), mp3 player, video player - the list goes on and on.

But, to return to your original question, it's by far the easiest and fastest way to move a file from anywhere your PC can see onto the iPad. No software for the PC required to do this other than a browser. Very clever and very simplet to use.

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I tried goodreader but couldnt get it to connect to my laptop ip address. I have also tried filebrowser which I like but for some reason was not showing all the files on my latop even though I was sharing everything.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I tried goodreader but couldnt get it to connect to my laptop ip address. I have also tried filebrowser which I like but for some reason was not showing all the files on my latop even though I was sharing everything.

OK - I'm probably misunderstanding you - so please don't get cross.....

If you go to the WiFi page in GoodReader it tells you the IP address of the iPad - something like http://192.168.1.108:xxxx.

You need to go to your PC web browser and type that URL exactly into the address field. Your laptop should then 'surf' to the 'web address' above and GoodReader will send it a simple 'Browse' dialog box, from where you can browse to the file you want to transfer (or folder). Then click 'Submit' and away you go. GoodReader doesn't seem to display any progress bar - either at the PC or iPad end, so I normally watch the 'flickering' activity light on my ADSL router to confirm that 'something' is going on. When it's finished GoodReader 'sort of' displays a confirmation at the PC end - the file name appears above the Submit box with a hyperlink, but there's no indication at the iPad end.....

Hope this helps..but get back to me if there's still a problem

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In goodreader I chose the add server option and tried entered by laptop ip address. Is this wrong?, Do i need to install something on my pc to use good reader or just the app on my ipad. What I am after is an app that i open up and it shows me all my folders on my various pcs that I am sharing. I woudl then like to be able to copy them to my ipad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In goodreader I chose the add server option and tried entered by laptop ip address. Is this wrong?, Do i need to install something on my pc to use good reader or just the app on my ipad. What I am after is an app that i open up and it shows me all my folders on my various pcs that I am sharing. I woudl then like to be able to copy them to my ipad.

No - that's for things like iDisk.

At the bottom of the screen there's a little WiFi symbol, like the one that comes up at the top of the iPad screen when you're using WiFi.

When you hit that button, it takes you through to a page that gives you that http://192.168.1.108:xxxx type address.

Now go to your PC and enter that into the address field of your Internet browser and you're away. No special software needed on the PC

Sorry - my instructions before weren't that clear...good luck and get back if there's still a problem.

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for your help with this. I assume then when I type the ip address into the browser on my pc I will then be able to view the files on my pc and transfer them to my ipad. Is there another method for app I can use which allows me to be away from pc (say out in the garden) but still acess my pc files through my wifi network.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need a remote PC access program. Forum members seem to like Splashtop - there are several others too. If you need to retrieve files while you’re out of the house then I use GoToMyPC - the app is free but there’s a recurring service charge. I use it to access my PC in Scotland when I’m in the US - now *that’s* remote access!

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks again, I have splashtop which works great but I dont think it allows me to transfer files from my pc to my ipad, unless I am mistaken

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One cool thing you can do to transfer files rather quickly with a remote app - use Dropbox.

Of course, you have to install Dropbox on your PC (and get the free app for the iPad), but once it's done, you can access files.

Here's a real life example of what I did once: I accessed my home PC via the remote login app Jump. I opened up a PowerPoint slide and saved it as a PDF into Dropbox. I then closed down Jump and opened Goodreader. I navigated to the folder in Dropbox where I had put the new PDF and opened it in Goodreader (needed PDF so I could annotate ... they were lecture slides for a class).

Of course, I could have just opened Dropbox and selected a number of apps to open the PDF. Or, used another remote login other than Jump.

Splashtop is good for when I am at home on my own WiFi, but for being out and about, Jump works great for me.

Anyway. I just wanted you to see that by using Dropbox as an intermediary with a remote login, you can get almost anything onto your iPad. Which, by the way, I find pretty darn cool! :D

Marilyn

OP
B

bootgaz23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drop Box sounds interesting, are there any fees once you have bought the app etc.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bootgaz23 said:
Drop Box sounds interesting, are there any fees once you have bought the app etc.

Sorry to barge in yet no, there are no fees for dropbox unless you need more than 2GB of online storage. You can even link dropbox to your goodreader thus anytime you have goodreader open you click on the tab and it automatically downloads your dropbox items. Very slick.

As mentioned you need to load dropbox on each computer that you want to share data. Load the dropbox app on your iPad as well. Unlike goodreader, if you open dropbox on the iPad it will allow you to view your stored items yet not download them. Great for times when you just need to use the file though don't want to load up your iPads memory etc.

Cheers

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Teamviewer. That is free. I was able to access iTunes and other programs on my laptop.

TAW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there any easy way where i can send my files from my macbook to my ipad without internet connection

Most reactions

Latest posts