What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'BES' style security for iPads?

jpjeffery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

We have Blackberrys here, with a BES and all the security that provides our careless users.

The wind is changing though, and some of the senior people here are asking us to get them iPads.

As far as we know though, it isn't possible to provide the same kind of security for iPads. i.e. we can't enforce a PIN to unlock the screen and we can't send out a Wipe and Disable command should a careless user lose their work-provided iPad (although one of my colleagues thinks that our Exchange servers can support the latter).

Or is it? This is where, hopefully, someone here might be able to shed some light.

Or not.

As the case may be.

TIA

JPJ

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

We have Blackberrys here, with a BES and all the security that provides our careless users.

The wind is changing though, and some of the senior people here are asking us to get them iPads.

As far as we know though, it isn't possible to provide the same kind of security for iPads. i.e. we can't enforce a PIN to unlock the screen and we can't send out a Wipe and Disable command should a careless user lose their work-provided iPad (although one of my colleagues thinks that our Exchange servers can support the latter).

Or is it? This is where, hopefully, someone here might be able to shed some light.

Or not.

As the case may be.

TIA

JPJ

Both those requirements are OK with the iPad. PIN code for screen lock is fine - and you even get the choice of the number of digits.

Remote wipe for a lost iPad too is part of Apple's MobileMe service.

Have a look here at the security features of the iPad

http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/pdf/iPad_Security_Overview.pdf

Tim

OP
J

jpjeffery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both those requirements are OK with the iPad.

Cool. I know I can set a PIN on my iPod Touch but I also know it's optional. Wasn't sure if it's optional on the iPad though.

Thanks for the reply.

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a MDM (Mobile Device manager)

There are currently no BES alternatives from Apple for iPads.
With that said you may want to investigate Mobile Device Managers.
These allow you to remotely manage the devices (wipe, lockdowns, etc). They will also allow you to configure the devices to route all network traffic THRU your companies firewall and/or filtering software to keep everything in check. Our school system has recently begun researching BES style management for Android and iOS devices.
Hope this helps

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We've been looking at a few MDMs ane really like AirWatch. You get many BES like features for multiple devices IOS, Android and others. While it's not as extensive as the BES, you'll get as close as you can for right now. It's about the best control you can get with these devices.

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out this link. It details what acticesync policies are enforceable on iOS.

Developer Library

The highlights are that you can enforce a PIN or PASSWORD, you can remote wipe t he entire device, and lock down features such as camera and or browser.

Most reactions

Latest posts