HOW TO - Use Secure Shell (SSH) with the iPad

Discussion in 'Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides' started by f4780y, May 4, 2011.

1. dstuttgen

dstuttgen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, that does help.

ciao

2. bctf1

bctf1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    After the root and mobile passwords have been changed with putty on ipad 2, are the new passwords saved during an itunes backup? Will they revert back to alpine if the ipad is restored to a previous firmware version or unjailbroken?

3. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the passwords will revert back to alpine if you restore or unjailbreak.

That's because when you restore - you are essentially reloading the software and setting up the iPad as new (e.g. fresh out of the box). So, all the changes you made to your old, jailbroke firmware will be gone.

The iTunes backup won't affect the passwords. As long as you keep the jailbreak and don't restore - the passwords will stay what you set them as.

Marilyn

4. guthrien

guthrien
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I really dislike iTunes. It's the most un-Apple Apple product I've used. Do any of you primarily use SSH to take care of your syncing needs? Most of my data I use on iPad has a cloud counterpart.

5. Psunate77

Psunate77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i am trying this now, my /root username and password i dont know

6. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Everyone's default user name and password is:

root / alpine

7. FrenchTV

FrenchTV
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    whats curious is who has access to the itunes back ups on the net since apple logged data in the past, do developers have access, certain apple people? its interesting to know since privacy does not exist on the net or telecommunications, who knows if the factories in the east even put a chip to track or shut our systems down

8. jaomadn

jaomadn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Why openssh for ipad has a maximum of password character to 8. Its useless to set more than 8 since it only takes the 8 character and remaining is garbage. This for root and mobile.

9. Commodore

Commodore
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Does SSH server on iPad turn off or get suspended, a few moments after the device goes into standby, or should it work indefinitely (until you disable it manually, that is)? I had a few cases when WinSCP session was somehow frozen or halted, but I'm not sure whether it was because of iPad's sleep mode activities (with gradual disabling of some services), or some other problems on my WinSCP / computer side.

10. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The SSH services does not get stopped in sleep mode. The tweak comes with an SBSettings toggle which you can use to turn the service on or off, but if it is set to on it will remain that way.

Depending on what device you have and the setup in your home, it could be the wifi signal dropping after 45 seconds of going into sleep mode? Wifi does not stay up and running all the time in sleep mode under certain circumstances and configurations. Is yours a 3G device with cellular signal?