What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bbc iplayer

toofy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After upgrading the iPad's OS (4.3.4) over the weekend, which produced no improvement to the situation, I can only conclude that the problem is something to do with the quality of the signal from the Linksys router that the iPad can not deal with. Why that has changed, I can not tell. Reluctantly, and at cost, I have given up with trying to solve the matter and I bought another router. Naturally I chose one on which I had tested my iPad's operation. I imagine that there are other routers, however I can vouch for a Netgear n300 which seems to function well. And now to eBay to off load the original router, perfectly good for everything other than iPad/iPlayer comparability.

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know If this will help anyone but I have found today that most Iplayer programmes will load up from the Iplayer page on on the BBC website, and don't seem to show the buffering and stop starts seen in the app.

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oneperspective said:
I don't know If this will help anyone but I have found today that most Iplayer programmes will load up from the Iplayer page on on the BBC website, and don't seem to show the buffering and stop starts seen in the app.

I initially had some success with that approach but then it started the same tricks and is just as bad a iPlayer now.

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iOS release makes no difference. Was initially promising when I got a whole 14 minutes of Top Gear without a pause but th....................................

What the update has done though is break the workaround I had though so its now near impossible to watch an entire show. Woot!

This really sucks. TV catch up in bed on the ipad was a big plus for me before it broke.

Tries raising a Fault with the BBC and got generic response crud about reinstalling and reboot.

:(

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it's a real shame. I'm surprised that the BBC have not released an update lately to put right these issues, after all the iPad must be used by plenty of people for viewing their content.

Or maybe there not aware of these issues.

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4OD, ITV Player and and C4 News apps all stream content perfectly, which kind of rules out it being a problem with the iPad itself. Come on BBC push out an update..

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Spackman said:
I initially had some success with that approach but then it started the same tricks and is just as bad a iPlayer now.

Yeh same happened to me, darn it!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oneperspective said:
4OD, ITV Player and and C4 News apps all stream content perfectly, which kind of rules out it being a problem with the iPad itself.

so why does it work fine on my iPad?

The Archangel

solentandgosport

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
so why does it work fine on my iPad?

The Archangel

I have the same problem and I now believe it is at the BBC end. Do they have a finite number of feeds?

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have given up using the stupid i player on my ipad, if i need to used the iplayer i do it on the computer. On the iplayer on ipad, the programme starts to play and after 10 minutes it freezes, never have i been able to watch a programme from begening to end. Any way i can fix this?

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like the BBC are aware of our problem? Not sure if they realise fully the number of iPad users having these issues though.

Copied this from the BBC help section

iPad – Why am I experiencing buffering issues whilst playing programmes?

Search iPlayer Questions

Some people have reported problems when playing programmes on the BBC iPlayer iPad App. We have done extensive technical tests to investigate this issue and have developed a beta version of the app which improves playback.

We are currently testing this beta version and will release it as an update to the BBC iPlayer iPad app as soon as testing is complete.

cbrandsk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not alone and the BBC are aware of the issue. Sitting at my pc to catch up on dragons den is pants, but lay in bed with my iPad just makes me want to throw it out of a window when it just stops streaming 10 to 15 into any program gggrrrrrrr!!

Iplayer is freaking awesome, but it has to work!!! It's like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out lol. I keep trying tho, and keep thinking of chucking it out of the window! (the ipad, not the girlfriend).

toofy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see that the BBC us conducted a fix on iPlayer, go to Apps Store and look for updates. I can not try it for now as I a outside the UK. Best of luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts