What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bbc iplayer

carrol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is any body having problem viewing BBC
Iplayer on there iPad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you in the UK? I only ask because, of course, iPlayer will only work in the UK...

Tim

OP
C

carrol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morning Tim

Yes I do live in the UK, it's only been the last few months that BBC IPLAYER stopped working can you think what it could be?.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A real simple 'fix most problems' solutions, is to power the iPad completely down - Press and hold the Power button until the slider control appears and then accept the offer to switch off. Wait until the iPad has completely powered down and the little rotating white bezel has disappeared. Now press and hold the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will power up (orientation doesn't work so - during power up - it's fixed in portrait mode). A few seconds before power-up is complete the iPad will play a little 'jingle' and shortly you're back to normal.

Now try iPlayer again. Even Apple recommend you do this on a regular basis so, if it does fix the problem, remember to do it again if you encounter any 'unexplained' issues....

Hope it works but, if it doesn't, we have lots more ideas...:(

Tim

toofy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have this proble too, can watch live BBC but not historical material. On some wi-fi systems all is OK but not at home! The power off thing did not improve the situation nor did a complete refresh back to factory settings.

Getting pretty desperate now, waiting for BBC to update the app. But any advice gratefullfy received.

Thanks

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
toofy said:
Hi,

I have this proble too, can watch live BBC but not historical material. On some wi-fi systems all is OK but not at home! The power off thing did not improve the situation nor did a complete refresh back to factory settings.

Getting pretty desperate now, waiting for BBC to update the app. But any advice gratefullfy received.

Thanks

I don't think it's the app, everything on the app works perfectly for me. Have you updated your routers software?

As you say, it works on some wifi networks just not your own which clearly suggests that it is a problem with your network and not the app.

The Archangel

toofy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I don't think it's the app, everything on the app works perfectly for me. Have you updated your routers software?

As you say, it works on some wifi networks just not your own which clearly suggests that it is a problem with your network and not the app.

The Archangel

Thanks for the suggestion which sounded promising. I have now updated the Firmware for the router, most recent version is still several years old, but still no difference.

I should have mentioned that, up until about March this year, iPlayer was fully functional on my iPad using the BBC website through Safari. It was after BBC introduced the app that problems started, now nether method works fully. I see from other forums that other people experience the same issues in various forms. All very strange!

This is really disappointing, watch TV catch up was a fantastic use of the iPad.

Thanks again.

Toofy

The Spackman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here. Used to be OK and is fine on my iphone 4 but on ipad 2 neither the app or browser give me more than 10 mins viewing before pausing and refusing to restart withoutnintervention. I can usually fumble my way through a program by restarting it over and over but generally, one of my faourite things with the ipad (watching iplayer in bed) is now useless.

Really dissappointing.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same happens to me! I even tried the web app and it still does the same! Really annoying.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having this problem since the last ipad software update. I'm wondering if its something to do with the way that the ipad manages the RAM memory. (and may be partly due to the vast number of apps we have on our ipads)
I was having bad problems until I freed up some memory. The only way that this can be done on the ipad is by closing down all apps running in the background. This is done by double clicking the physical button and closing down all running applications one by one. Then re-open iplayer and try playing a program. More RAM memory can be cleared by closing down open pages in Safari. Hope this helps.

toofy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this suggestion too. I had no idea that simply pressing the button did not actually stop the application. Double button push is good.

Having said that, clearing the RAM has had no improving effect on my iPad with my router. Somehow it must be the combination of the OS change with the introduction of the BBC iPlayer app that does not work well. Using a PC linked to the router, iPlayer through Safari works perfectly well.

Again, any more suggestions will be gratefully received

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I found closing down background apps helps alleviate the buffering it certainly does not sort out the problems altogether. Perhaps we will have to wait until the BBC update the app..
I have the 4oD and ITV player app's which both work fine, which rules out it being a wifi or bandwidth fault.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oneperspective said:
Although I found closing down background apps helps alleviate the buffering it certainly does not sort out the problems altogether. Perhaps we will have to wait until the BBC update the app..
I have the 4oD and ITV player app's which both work fine, which rules out it being a wifi or bandwidth fault.

I don't think the app is the issue, I have just been watching the open golf on iPlayer app for around 30mins with a maximum of 2 bars on the wifi without any buffering at all.

The Archangel

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My BBC iplayer doesn't work on either my iPad or PS3, it used to but no more. It works fine on my laptop and iPhone, weird.

I can kind of get it on icab but it takes ages to buffer and you can only watch, no skipping otherwise that's it.

It's really frustrating! Tried the usual, reboot, re-install app, etc.

I have noticed that a lot of the people who have problems (after reading the BBC website) own a sky router, I too have a sky router, has anyone else here got sky?

Last edited:

oneperspective

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I don't think the app is the issue, I have just been watching the open golf on iPlayer app for around 30mins with a maximum of 2 bars on the wifi without any buffering at all.

The Archangel

Thanks. I will have to try digging deeper for a solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts