What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC iPlayer to Allow Downloads On-Demand

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
bbc_iplayer_out.JPG

The Guardian reports today that the BBC is to update its very popular iPlayer with the ability to download BBC programmes to watch anywhere and at any time. The downloaded programmes can be kept for 30 days, and will be available to BBC licence payers (i.e. pretty much everyone in the UK, as you have to have a BBC license in order to watch TV in the UK) for free, as is the app itself. As the Guardian notes, this is a change in approach for the BBC as far as its iPlayer is concerned, as it has previously only streamed programmes to tablets and smartphones, although the programmes have been downloadable onto computers.

“This fundamentally changes one of the most annoying restrictions about viewing programmes,” Daniel Danker, BBC general manager of on-demand programmes, told The Guardian. “It means audiences are liberated from the constraints and it fundamentally changes what it means to go on holiday.”

At present you will need a Wi-Fi connection in order to download iPlayer content, but The Guardian says that you will soon be able to download certain shows via 3G.

Click here to download the free app: App Store - BBC iPlayer

Source: BBC allows mobile iPlayer downloads | Media | guardian.co.uk, iTunes.

Last edited:

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might be good if I could get it to download .

Is anyone else having trouble with the app store ? .....I can not download anything today.

Most reactions

Latest posts