Battery versus power

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by jmschnur, Mar 23, 2012.

1. jmschnur

jmschnur iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I leave the iPad p
    Urged into power for a long times, will my battery be ok? I am trying not to have so many charges that the battery will degrade. What I mean is, is it ok to use the iPad on power for hours and if so will that have no effect on the long term life of the battery?

J

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    You are not helping your battery, since the iPad will only use battery power. It does not run on mains electricity when it is plugged in.

You will not damage it, however. The circuitry inside the iPad will shut down charging when the battery is fully charged.

All you are really doing is inconveniencing yourself by turning a portable machine into a fixed one.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

3. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0
    Hello JMS.... - there is a lot of over-concern about the iPad battery - these are advanced and mature technologies - check HERE for some basic information; this article has many suggestions as to preserving battery power; about the only recommendation is to 'run down' the battery about once a month; whether you leave the battery plugged in or not likely makes little difference, especially if you are in a 'mind set' to replace the iPad every couple of years - :)

4. jmschnur

jmschnur iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was hoping by leaving it plugged in when I was using it in one room, that I would not need to recharge it as much. Less charging leads to longer lifetime; takes longer to reach the 1000 limit? I would like to keep my iPad 2 for a number of years.

J

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  5. zphone

zphone iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    No, unfortunately that's not the way it works. The only thing that will really kill your battery is leaving it discharged for a long time.
    But if you are using the iPad you are running off battery whether it is plugged in or not. The only thing that happens when you are plugged in is it will have many micro charges which will add up to one full cycle in the same time it would if you had used it unplugged.