1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Backing up to iCloud

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Elliern, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Elliern

Elliern iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Has anyone tried yet to back up to iCloud and if so how long did it take? I mean after loading the new iOS yesterday.

I downloaded the new iOS 5 yesterday. The information on the iCloud said to back up daily using iCloud. So, 'should' do it tonight. I am a little hesitant to try, just in case it creates other problems. But, know I will have to take the plunge sooner or later.

Has anyone had any problems? Thanks for letting me know of your experiences.
  2. Ncaissie

Ncaissie iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I had no problem.
    I only enable contacts, calendar, bookmarks and reminders though.

64GB 3G White iPad
  3. Davidmacpherson

Davidmacpherson iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I completed my first iCloud backup reasonably quickly (my broadband at home is only 3Mbs).

Regarding daily backup, does anyone know if this is an incremental or 100% each time?

David
  4. Elliern

Elliern iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hmm, I did not know I had to enable anything! Geesh, more to learn. I thought I just had to plug it in, turn on my wifi and close the cover. So, where exactly do you enable what is to be backed up? And how do I choose? Sorry for being so ignorant.

Is it really necessary to back it up daily, if you don't have much? I go for a few weeks before adding anything new and then may add several apps and a few photos all in one day. If I didn't add anything since yesterday, do I still need to back up to iCloud?
  5. Ncaissie

Ncaissie iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Go into settings and choose iCloud on the left.

64GB 3G White iPad
  6. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Backup as often as you feel comfortable. If you honestly don't make any changes for weeks, simply backup when you do. A backup is just a safety net. If worst case scenario your iPad stopped working and had to be restored to factory settings...or even replaced, you can use your backup to restore everything. As long as you're happy with whatever your backup contains if you ever need it, that's all that counts. More here:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

FWIW I'm now keeping a backup of my iOS devices on my computer (via iTunes) as well as one in (on?) iCloud. I won't be religious about the one on my computer...but if anything happened to the one in the "cloud" I'll still have something to fall back on. I have two backups (one on and one off site) for all of my computers as well. I'm a bit retentive that way...although it did save my bacon one time. :)
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. Elliern

Elliern iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    So, you just continue to back up the 'old fashioned way' using iTunes just like we did prior to the iOS upgrade? I like the idea of having a 'back up to the back up'.

Thanks for the advice and information. As usual it was very helpful.
  8. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    However you like...you can backup to iTunes or iCloud or both. You can choose which by going into Settings > iCloud > iCloud Backup On/Off. If it's off you can continue to backup to iTunes.

With your iPad connected to your computer open iTunes and select your iPad. On the Summary page select which backup method you'd like to use...

[​IMG]

To backup to your computer, open iTunes, locate your iPad in the left-hand menu, control-click or right-click on it and click on "Backup" in the menu.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  9. vitamin

vitamin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can we backup multiple devices without syncing the contacts, calendar, and mail together. My wife and I use the same account for iTunes, but keep separate information. I don't want my contacts to be sent to her phone or vise versa. Thanks.
  10. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    This sounds like iCloud sync instead of back up.

One cool feature is you can go into your iCloud backup settings on your device to manage storage. I then select only certain apps that I wish to back up which can drastically reduce the size of your backup and the time it takes as well as saving the amount of storage space used. That way I have a backup of critical data for a worst case scenario when I am away from home and not unrequired data such as game saves, video content in 3rd party move players etc.. The listing of apps is sorted by backup size so you can easily turn off the backup for apps that use a large amount of space.
    I also do a manual backup to my iTunes on my laptop and this is a full backup so the one I would normally use to restore if needed.
  11. Arcsylver

Arcsylver iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My first backup took about 5 hours total for approximately 550 MB of data backed up to iCloud. I did this on launch day immediately after installing IOS 5. Which BTW went off flawlessly on my iPad 2. I waited until around 1230 PM Central time and had no issues at all with the entire process.

When the backup said it would take 5 hours I put the ipad on it's charger in the bedroom and let it do it's thing.
  12. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Incremental, thank goodness. My full backup is 7GB, and takes about 34 hours - once was enough.
  13. Beryl

Beryl iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    First backup took 2.5 hours on my 64gb iPad 1 using 4.5 gb. Bought more storage so it can hold iPhone and iPod Touch backups. 20gb should be enough. I'll probably backup up to the laptop a couple of times each month now.
  14. ipadbraincell

ipadbraincell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Got to say a bit peeved with iCloud allowance, you get 5GB if you have 1 device or 20.

Having invested in their ip2 and ip4 both 32gb, surely it makes sense to allow per device not client?

As it is the iPad stole most of 5GB, stopping the iCloud backup after torturous upgrade to iPhone.

TURNED IT OFF!!! And gone back to my 3tb NAS.
  15. Beryl

Beryl iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have to agree there. We should get a little more for each device we purchase.
  16. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    You can buy additional storage.
  17. Beryl

Beryl iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I think he/she knows that. It is about fairness, I think. Perhaps providing a separate iCloud ID for backups only would solve the problem. I've already purchased storage but I bet Apple changes this one soon.

It was cool how my PalmPre would back up automatically to a cloud and I never thought about storage.
  18. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Well it's 5GB for nothing.....not sure I would ever complain about that plus your music purchased on iTunes isn't even taken out of the 5GB.

If Apple hadn't given us iCloud then no one would be complaining about it, so we get something for free and it's not enough.....just my 2 cents.
  19. ipadbraincell

ipadbraincell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My iPad used 4.7gb, as you say apps were not counted, so contacts, date calendars and docs etc

Both my devices are 32gb, bought for their capacity, no way was there room left for the iPhone to back up to cloud for the upgrade.

No warning given it just failed to backup after 2.5 hours, not a situation i enjoyed :(

given the torturous time it took I'd happily have pre-paid extra or simply sent it to my laptop or NAS.

If I have to pay for more storage, then it is no longer free, and that entitles me to have good old English moan ;)
  20. michali

michali iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Mine are taking so long to back up to icloud....ipad says 20 hours remaining and it has been going for at least two hours! Ipod Touch does not even tell me how much longer...still on estimating time remaining! I am thinking it best to just back up to itunes and back up library as I used to.