What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is iCloud how we back up apps now too?

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't seen this anywhere yet, does iCloud back up the iPad in the same way we used to with iTunes? In other words, are all our apps backed up there as well and is that how we would restore the iPad if something were to go wrong?

iDougWyl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read on the Apple site that iCloud only backs up data. Apps are synced as usual via iTunes. If you set an App to ON in the iCloud Settings it backs up data only. In most cases I presume this would be preferred settings you've configured for an App. However some Apps have actual data, for example, Numbers and Pages. This would be the data iCloud backs up.

In my case, with about 50 Apps on my iPad, I've set about 5 Apps to ON in the iCloud settings. This makes for a relatively small backup, well within the iCloud.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iDougWyl said:
I read on the Apple site that iCloud only backs up data. Apps are synced as usual via iTunes. If you set an App to ON in the iCloud Settings it backs up data only. In most cases I presume this would be preferred settings you've configured for an App. However some Apps have actual data, for example, Numbers and Pages. This would be the data iCloud backs up.

In my case, with about 50 Apps on my iPad, I've set about 5 Apps to ON in the iCloud settings. This makes for a relatively small backup, well within the iCloud.

And of course the actual apps themselves do not require backing up as you can re-download them at any time from the purchased tab in the App Store.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just went into the iCloud settings and you can choose everything you want to save or not save in the cloud which changes how much data storage you have in the cloud. I'm still not understanding what you do however if you should need to restore your entire iPad. But hopefully I won't have to find that out!

Most reactions

Latest posts