Available storage space?

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by Ashwood11, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ashwood11

Ashwood11
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The iPad will be available in 16, 32 and 64GB versions. On the 16GB model how much of that will be available storage and how much will be taken up by the operating system and shipping applications?

2. AbblePC

AbblePC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If looking at the 32G version of iPhone is any indication.

Itunes reports available capacity - any user installed data is = to about 29.3G meaning that much of the OS etc is about 3Gig of data.

3. Ashwood11

Ashwood11
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your reply

That is a big help. Just what I wanted to know.

4. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you used the iPhone / iPod touch before?

5. Ashwood11

Ashwood11
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Nope

I have not used either one, yet.

6. AbblePC

AbblePC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Also see this thread for remotely streaming video

Less data to store on the iPad, as well as cloud computing like making use of the iDisk service with Apple or others like Drop Box is the way to go.

I use ScannerPro on the iPhone and after making new PDF docs I immediately upload them to my iDisk which also syncs them with all my other Macs.

At home I add things to the iDisk as well but also use the Drop Box on my iMac for docs I want to get to while on the road. The Drop Box service also has an app for the iPhone and syncs across computers as well as shares to friends, which Apples iDisk allows that too.

Everything else I just VNC or RDP to if needed using Jaadu's apps on the iPhone.

7. ayuryogini

ayuryogini
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone say what the main advantages of 64GB over 32GB would be, other than the obvious of 2x the GB; I'm planning on ordering the 32GB, but am wondering what one would need 64GB for? Thanks.

8. IpadOne

IpadOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    iPad storage

I think only you can reply at this question as depend only of how you will use you're Ipad and witch one you want (Wifi or 3G), example my self even i have some thousand of song and 8 pages of app's i order a 32 because i have more than enough in my iPhone 3Gs 16G always have 4G free, but in the Ipad i will carry some movie and doc's so i believe 32 is enough ...

9. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I have 2GB left on my iPod Touch, I have several thousand songs and 12 pages of apps (many of which are games)

I ordered the 64GB version since I know there are going to be a lot of bigger apps (games) coming out for the iPad

10. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If you want to put 5 movies on it for a road trip with the kids, some books and pictures and podcasts and some audio books and music and don't want to have unload this and reload this, 64 gigs is not enough.

And this is even without any e magazines, e newspapers or whatever someone dreams up in the next 3 years.

The more things I think of to use the iPad for the more I think it will push us to the cloud because we can't do all of that yet with local storage .

I have heard of people becoming addicted to their iPhones, this may be worse. :D Is it April 3rd yet?????