iPad vs iPhone capacity

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by azonie, Mar 25, 2012.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Photo Stream is not a good choice for photo backups. It intended as a way for you to easily see all your recent photos on all devices, and save them to that device if desired. Photos are only saved for 30 days or 1000 photos. Older photos are bumped after one of those two limits are exceeded.

There is not long term photo storage on the iPad at this time.

Well, not entirely true. The new iPhotos app will let you create and share journals (pages of photos). Those are stored in iCloud.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Also, I believe I saw an article today that said the new iPad stores synced photos at a larger size, so that you can take advantage of the retina display. I could be wrong about that, and I can't find the article at the moment.

Newer apps are also going to take a lot more room, because they contain retina (bigger) resources. This will affect iPad and universal apps. The impact on the iPhone will be smaller because some of its apps will be iPhone specific, and not contain support for the iPad's retina display.

This has been the trend of computers from the beginning. More memory and better hardware begets larger apps begets the need for more memory and better hardware.

3. Texas Holders

Texas Holders
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I personally prefer Dropbox over iCloud anyway. Give it a try, you get 2 GB free. If it works out, you can always purchase additional storage, or you may find that 2 GB is enough for what you need.

4. azonie

azonie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Can you use Dropbox and still use iCloud without trouble? Could you use Dropbox and limit it to just photos.

5. Texas Holders

Texas Holders
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, just download the dropbox app. I set mine up by downloading their software to my desktop, but I think you may be able to do it from the app as well. You can put whatever file you want in your dropbox. On a desktop, it appears just like any other file folder, drop in what ever files you want and it syncs it.

6. azonie

azonie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to move a photo on iPhone or iPad to Photo Stream??

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Not in the Photos app. But if you have a photo editor like iPhoto you can open a photo then save it back to the the camera roll, which will also put it in Photo Stream. You can then delete it from the camera roll if desired. It will stay in the Photo Stream for the usual span of 30 days or 1000 photos.

Round about, but if you only have a few photos it works well enough.

8. grouchomarx

grouchomarx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:

Apps size is now the biggest gripe from iPad 1 and 2 owners. They are forced fed with all the apps updates to accommodate features that they don't have.

I'd be pretty pissed off too if I haven't got my new iPad.

9. tedgel

tedgel
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have a 64mb ipad which has 4000+ full size photos plus 30 apps. Still have almost 40 unused GB. Should be plenty of room for you.
    Ted

10. azonie

azonie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Tell me more about how iTunes resizes/shrinks the photos. Don't think I have even plugged iPad into iTunes yet.
    How do I sync with iTunes without getting iPhone info on iPad. Also if I have connected before how do I get iTunes updated with what's been added to iPad without risk of losing anything on iPad. Example if I have 25 photos on iTunes from iPad but now have 216 photos on iPad. Don't want to lose photos that are now on iPad. In other words sync and putting the 25 from iTunes on iPad

Here is comparison of how storage is being used on iPad and iPhone.
    iPad - 32 GB model (28 usable) now with 21.8 GB available. Here is what I have on iPad. 5 songs, 216 photos, 75 apps.
    iPhone - 16 GB model (13.5 usable) with 6.9 GB available. Here is what I have on iPhone. 3 songs, 641 photos, 160 apps.

Appears photos are taking up a lot more space on iPad vs iPhone.