iPad vs iPhone capacity

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by azonie, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    All of which is why our two iPads are 64 GB and our iPhones are as well. I keep my photos on a 500 GB GoFlex Satellite WIFI external drive. I have 360 GB of photos.
  2. ajcgn

ajcgn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't know how iTunes resizes the photo, I only noticed the resizing when I shrunk photos to save space on my iPhone and when I saw that no space was saved, I read somewhere that iTunes resizes the photo.

The iPad and iPhone can be synced separately in iTunes and should show up as two separate devices in iTunes.

As to getting your photos from your iPad to iTunes, it depends on where the photos are stored on your iPad and whether or not you have a Mac or PC. If they are in the camera roll, then I believe iTunes will not sync them. One way to be safe is to get a Dropbox account and save your photos there, that way if something goes wrong you will have a backup. You can also copy the files from Dropbox to your computer and not worry about plugging your devices into your computer.

If you don't use Dropbox to copy, and if they are on your camera roll and you have a PC, plug your iPad into your PC and the camera roll should show up as an external drive, you can then use the file manager to copy the files to where you want them. If you have a Mac, I believe you will have to use iPhoto to import the photos from your camera roll. You can also set the preferences in iTunes to prevent automatic syncing if you are worried about connecting to your computer.

I am pretty good with iTunes, but not an expert, so be careful in following any advice from me.
  3. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Settings now says I have 236 photos and 76 apps. So added 20 photos and 1 app.

Available space gone from 21.8GB to 21.6GB.

I found that the app added is just over 20 MB. So bottom line used another 200MB.
    If the app was 20 MB, that leaves 180MB for 20 photos. That is 9MB per photo. Seem high and if I open in iPhoto they are all showing at less than 1MB.

Just don't know what I am missing here.
  4. theTimo

theTimo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The OP never told which iPhone he/she has. Photos taken with 3GS take way less space than ones taken with 4x. Possibly the OS version has something to do with the space usage too.

But in general, the apps do differ in size if they're for iPhone or iPad. If the OS is the same in both devices and the phone is v4x, that'll be the main reason.
  5. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Didn't realize that most photos on both iPad and iPhone were taken with iPhone 4. Some now are taken with iPhone 5. I have gone to 5 and wife has 4. All devices are on iOS 6.
  6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    The size of a photo depends, as they are jpgs or pngs and are a compressed format. And the size of video depends. Some are 1080 in resolution and the longer they are, the more space they take. I think the iPad 3, iPhone 4S and 5 all take 1080 video. No one can give you precise info on space, but 9 MB for an image is not unheard of, but most will be a good bit smaller too.

I don't believe iTunes resizes photos, at least not without asking. I think the Mail app will resize photos when you are emailing them to people, but it lets you choose the size. My understanding is that photos shared via the photostream are shrunk in size before being sent to a mobile devices, but they are stored in full size on a PC or Mac. So if you want to use a photo a full resolution get it from the camera roll on the device it was taken on or from a PC or a Mac that has photostream enabled. If you use a photo from the photostream on a device which didn't take it, it will be a reduced size version.
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,480 / 1
    iTunes does optimize photos for viewing on the iPad. In many cases that means downsizing larger photos. I can not find any direct information on the issue, but this is in the "Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder" help page.

From experience on an iPad 2, 5MP images synced through iTunes, when emailed back (at original size) were smaller than the original. I image the iPad 3 syncs the image at a larger size, for better viewing on the retina display. I haven't checked recently, so I don't know what the difference is, but I imagine it is proportionate to the difference in screen resolutions across all iOS devices.

The takeaway: Do not depend on synced photos as backup for the originals. You don't know if they are of the same quality.

Photos synced from an Camera or SD card follow different rules. The original image size is preserved.
  8. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Just out of pure animal curiosity, why store 500-1000 photos on an iPad? Keep a few there as a slide show for yourself of to show off, the rest are in your 500 GB wifi GoFlex Satellite Pro HDD. Or in your computer. Ditto music, that's why you have an iPhone or iPod. I have 4,000 songs in my iPhone, none at all in my iPad. 90 books in iTunes, four on my iPad. The iPad is not a long term storage device. Both my iPhone and iPad are 64 GB devices to give me room to grow. Apps take up a lot of room, ditto movies.
  9. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Still trying to figure out why I seem to be using so much more storage space on iPad vs iPhone with less photos an stuff on iPad.
    This is interesting. I took some photos with iPhone and sent via shared photo stream to iPad. When I open image on iPhone in iPhoto it says size is 2.9 MB. When I open on iPad in iPhoto from the shared photo stream it says 736KB. That's a big difference. And if anything I thought the version on iPad would be larger.

Could there:
    1. Be something wrong with way iPad is sensing of determining size?
    2. Does sending via shared photo stream reduce size?
  10. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,480 / 1
    Looks like Photo Stream does limit the size. Panoramics that can be up to 28MP on the iPhone 5 all came in at or under 8MP when copied to Photo Stream.

Specifically, I took a panoramic on the iPhone that is 24MP in the camera roll when viewed via iPhoto. The same image viewed in iPhoto from the Photo Stream was only 6.5MP. There was no further size reduction when viewing it on the iPad 3. So all the shrinking comes from the transfer to Photo Stream.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  11. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sounds like the thing to do is save from photo stream and delete original.
  12. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,480 / 1
    If you don't want the original.

I kind of like having a copy of the full sized file; which means I'm going to have to stop relying on Photo Stream when copying pictures to the computer. Not that I do that very often. I usually copy via a cable to Aperture.
  13. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That makes sense. I do similar in reverse. I process RAW images from DSLR in LR and send via email or SD card to iPad.

I just need to figure out what is eating up space on iPad. I only have about 300 photos and 75 some apps and use about 7 GB. I noticed we do have about 8 or 9 color magazines on there through Nook app. Wonder if they could be the hog?? I use zinio on my photo magazines and think it does pretty good job of saving space. But I remove from iPad once read.
  14. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,480 / 1
    I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but you can see how much storage space each app is taking by going to Settings > General > Usage. The top 10 apps will be shown. You can see the rest by tapping Show all Apps.

Edit: Fixed path to settings.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  15. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I did not know that. Thanks.
  16. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,480 / 1
    Oops, that should have been Settings > General > Usage: In case you were getting frustrated looking for it. :eek:
  17. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Got it thanks. And assume when it says "nook" 225 mb that includes the magazines downloaded. Or do you think that is just the app?
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,480 / 1
    If you tap on the app it will break it down for you between app size (shown next to the icon) and Documents and Data.

Hold in mind Documents and Data may also contain data essential to the operation of the app, which is why it is almost never empty.
  19. azonie

azonie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wow. Thanks so much. I was worried it was my photo, but good news is it appears to be apps. So wont change much as I add photos.

Based on my current average photo size, a 1000 photos would only take up about 2GB.
  20. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,480 / 1
    Glad to help.

Glad you asked the question. I hadn't noticed that the Photos actually get broken down into camera roll, albums, and photo stream. Now I know how to answer the question "How much space on my iPad is Photo Stream using?" :D

I'm pretty sure this is new with iOS 6.