What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aunty has a problem

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My elderly Aunt has just bought an IPad4 and likes it a lot. However, she has difficulty remembering passwords and doesn't want to carry them around in her diary or on paper. Is there a way she could have a list on her iPad that only requires one password to open it to reveal all her passwods, but is very secure. Possibly it may need an App?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use 1Password for that very reason - to keep track of all my passwords and other "secret" data (credit card numbers, bank info, etc.). With a Dropbox account, you can set it up so that it can sync across iDevices (the account can be accessed with the universal app). In addition, if you use Dropbox, you can access the information from any web browser on any computer.

You can use 1Password's built-in browser to have it create super secure passwords for each website. Plus, you can/could change your old passwords and have them remembered by 1Password. Then, you only have to remember one master password - which is the one you create (and never share/use elsewhere) to access 1Password.

The only issue is that this type of security is not cheap. Today, 1Password (a universal app that can be used across all devices) is $17.99 (USD). I thought it well worth the money and would have bought it at that price. The developer has listed it at a discounted sale price in the past ... but I wouldn't know when/if they'd do it again.

Now, I'm highly prejudiced because I use this app for everything. I even bought the PC version of the app so I could manage my passwords on my PC and still have it sync across my iDevices. In my mind/humble opinion, if you are looking for a safe, secure and easy to use password manager, then 1Password (link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335?mt=8) is it.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn, just looked this up and have a query. Is this one to download on her iPad, or on her PC AND iPad? Perhaps the other way around, on the PC and then into iTunes? It's £12.99 in Sterling.

Alex

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn, just looked this up and have a query. Is this one to download on her iPad, or on her PC AND iPad? Perhaps the other way around, on the PC and then into iTunes? It's £12.99 in Sterling.

Alex

The one in the AppStore (the link I made) can be bought and downloaded directly onto the iPad. Then, when you open it, you'll get started right then. Again, if I may be so bold, I'd recommend syncing it with Dropbox so it can be accessed anywhere. You can sign up for a free Dropbox account (you get 2 GB free - which is more than enough for 1Password purposes).

You can later sync the iPad with your (her?) PC and click on the "transfer purchases" line to move the 1Password app to iTunes. Just know that it's only the app you're moving to iTunes - the data you've put into the app is stored elsewhere and cannot be accessed via iTunes.

The computer program I talked about is a stand-alone product/program you buy directly from 1Password (online) and then download to your PC. That's called "1Password for Windows" and, as of this writing, costs $49.99 (USD). Again, a bit steep but it works the same on the PC (and there's one for Macs, too). Since I do everything online, it's nice having 1Password fill in my passwords and such - all without me having to type anything but my master password. Talk about secure! In fact, I don't know any of my password, now, thanks to 1Password and its password generator. :)

Anyway - I ramble. Hopefully, somewhere in there is the answer to your question. If not - holler back and I'll try to be more succinct. :D

Marilyn

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again Marilyn. I thought that the price sounded pretty good if its for both. I have already downloaded to the iPad and entered some details. Problem would be that if the iPad were lost or stolen, then the information, although secure, would be with it and not on the PC. Thjink I must therefore add it for the PC as a one off cost.

Presumably one can choose not to let the 1Pasport add the passwords, or is that not a choice? So far I am trying to find details of how to fully appreciate it.

Alex

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again Marilyn. I thought that the price sounded pretty good if its for both. I have already downloaded to the iPad and entered some details. Problem would be that if the iPad were lost or stolen, then the information, although secure, would be with it and not on the PC. Thjink I must therefore add it for the PC as a one off cost.

Presumably one can choose not to let the 1Pasport add the passwords, or is that not a choice? So far I am trying to find details of how to fully appreciate it.

Alex

Well, again, if you sync 1Password with "the cloud" - you can then access your information from any web browser, anywhere. So, even if (and heaven forbid) your iPad was lost or stolen, you will still be able to access the account/information. The 1Password folk recommend using iCloud (if you are Apple device only, including your computer) or Dropbox (which allows universal access if you use PCs). Since I have a Window machine, I use Dropbox.

And no, you don't need the program for the PC - especially if you've set it up to link with Dropbox. Here's a screenshot of my Windows 7 computer (using the Chrome browser, but you can use any) after I've logged into Dropbox and selected the 1Password access key (which, by the way, is very encrypted):

yzu6u6yz.jpg

As you can see, it looks exactly like 1Password does on the iPad. If I were to put in my master password, I'd get all the access to 1Password that I could from the iPad.

I just like it on my PC because, to me, it's easier than using the web browser access on my PC or continually trying to use my iPad to get the passwords when I'm browsing on my PC. Especially now when I've changed every one of my passwords to a 12-15 character hodge-podge of letters, numbers and characters (thank you Heart Bleed!). But, to emphasize, it is not needed. It took me a while to get it myself - and though I now wouldn't dream of not having it on the PC, it worked fine without.

Which brings me to the last point. You can manually put in your pre-existing passwords into the iPad version of 1Password. You just elect to create a new log-in (or Note or account ... etc.). Takes a bit of time, obviously, but it'll work. Initial set-up/creation is indeed a pain, but once they're in - you're good to go.

Hope that helps/reassures.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just updating on this. 1Password now syncs almost immediately between my Windows7 PC and my iPad4 having Dropbox on my PC only. It took me a couple of days to get it working but only with the great help I had from members of the AgileBits forum in the Windows questions.

Just need a bit more sorting to get 1Password to log on automatically, rather than having to go into 1Password and do it manually to the websites that I haveloged in my valult.

Any additional help on particular issue from those using 1Password with Windows and iPad4 would be appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Phew! I'm glad you got it sorted. And, sorry we missed your "cry for help" last month. My bad.

Still; glad to hear that things are working for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's better than that Marilyn,

I needed to chat to someone about this and arranged a call from the company, who are in Toronto, Canada. It was scheduled for a half hour chat, but the guy who called, Steve, was on to me for 2.5 hours, connected to my PC and helped me understand what I needed to know. I am not the brightest person with software and to be fair, the printed details were not written for simple minds like mine. However, full marks to Agilebits.com for their support, which was well over and above the call of duty. A great company to deal with and a very secure software - 'Password1' for Mac and PC and iPad and iPhone. Well pleased now.

Thank you for your help and concern xxx

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's awesome that they helped you so well! I tell you, I like 1Password/Agilebits for the excellent software and daily/seamless use. Your story just fully emphasizes they are indeed a bunch of great folks.

As I can't recommend 1Password enough - I'm very glad to hear their customer service is as awesome as their product(s). :)

Thanks.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts