What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T cellular data not working

wfb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the cellular data turned on and the AT&T logo is there but I cannot get any data (I get a no data message). What gives?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the cellular data turned on and the AT&T logo is there but I cannot get any data (I get a no data message). What gives?

Is this a new problem or have you been able to receive data and connect to the Internet via this AT&T account before?

Tim

OP
W

wfb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Is this a new problem or have you been able to receive data and connect to the Internet via this AT&T account before?

Tim

I think it has worked in the past (I have had the iPad for a few weeks) but it does not connect for data now even if I get a strong signal.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some pre-pay accounts only last for a month - it's a 'use it or lose it' philosophy. Can you check in your AT&T account that it's not expired?

Tim

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and remember that it is a 30 day plan, exactly 30 days. So if the month you signed up in on the 12 has 31 days in it, then it won't renew automaticallyuntil the 12 of the month but your 30 days is up on the 11th. And it is literally 30 days, to the hour.
Example, my renew date is the 13, so when I renewed in May it was on May 13, but 30 days from May 13 is June 12. It wasn't supposed to renew until the 13th. So at whatever hour my renewal period is, it stopped working. At least that is Eric (Rajeesh) at ATT Customer support said.

Never noticed before because I mainly use Wi-Fi.

Just had that fiasco when I was in the middle of a meeting with no wi-fi or data and I needed to grab a file from dropbox. Needless to say I was more than a little miffed and let ATT know in an email that was yet another reason people hate dealing with them.

OP
W

wfb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rebooted the iPad and now it works. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and remember that it is a 30 day plan, exactly 30 days. So if the month you signed up in on the 12 has 31 days in it, then it won't renew automaticallyuntil the 12 of the month but your 30 days is up on the 11th. And it is literally 30 days, to the hour.
Example, my renew date is the 13, so when I renewed in May it was on May 13, but 30 days from May 13 is June 12. It wasn't supposed to renew until the 13th. So at whatever hour my renewal period is, it stopped working. At least that is Eric (Rajeesh) at ATT Customer support said.

Just had that fiasco when I was in the middle of a meeting with no wi-fi or data and I needed to grab a file from dropbox. Needless to say I was more than a little miffed and let ATT know in an email that was yet another reason people hate dealing with them.

Maybe you have a different AT&T plan from mine, but I've never experienced a service gap with auto-renewal. I've used 3G daily for more than a year.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Maybe you have a different AT&T plan from mine, but I've never experienced a service gap with auto-renewal. I've used 3G daily for more than a year.

Nope, standard unlimited plan. I wondered about it also, I have unlimited so why the gap, but everything I find says the same thing.
This is for the current plan but the terms are exactly the way I was explained. Notice the "Helpful Reminders" on the right:
http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/emerging_devices/iPad_fact_sheet_081210.pdf

"One month is based on 30 consecutive days, and starts at the date and time of your purchase"

That tells me it is actually 720 hours of service.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Nope, standard unlimited plan. I wondered about it also, I have unlimited so why the gap, but everything I find says the same thing.
This is for the current plan but the terms are exactly the way I was explained. Notice the "Helpful Reminders" on the right:
http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/emerging_devices/iPad_fact_sheet_081210.pdf

"One month is based on 30 consecutive days, and starts at the date and time of your purchase"

I never bothered looking up the terms beyond signing up, because my service has gone uninterrupted. I just get a monthly email that says the plan has auto-renewed. I recently received an email reminder to update my credit card info, because my cc was going to expire. Handy to get a reminder.

I have unlimited and have been really happy with the service. I average 4 to 5 GBs a month on 3G and have had no problems.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My auto-renewal just failed this morning, so I called AT&T and reconnected it to unlimited. The rep thought maybe my updated cc info didn't get picked up correctly by the system, but he was able to get me hooked back up within minutes and apologized twice for the problem.

I checked my online data account while I was doing that, and my renewal history for the past year shows that the auto-renewal for unlimited doesn't happen every 30 days. Depending on the length of the month, it renews on the 1st or 2nd of the month, so I'm getting uninterrupted service. You might want to check your data renewal history and see whether that's also been the case, so you can have AT&T address your data access gap.

elizabethriordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I call ATT? I have been using my Ipad 1 for a along time -- i bought it when it first came out. i always used ATT $25 option, but then I opted for the 3MB for $30 -- that was 2 days ago. everything was working fine but now all of a sudden I am informed I am out of data and i should renew. However they already took my $30 from 2 days ago. I looked on the account and everything seems fine -- is it a glitch about the day gap discussed above?

what is the telephone number to talk to ATT?

Mccar66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2.5 gb left on a 3 gb plan, with 2 weeks left & I'm getting the same error prompting me to subscribe to a plan...

Most reactions

Latest posts