What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon iPad 2 3G Connectivity Bug

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like there is a bug in the Verizon version of the iPad 2, where the cellular radio will not turn on if the system was previously powered off or reset with the Cellular Data switch in the off position.

In order to start the radio, you need to set the Cellular Data switch to the "on" position, then either shut down and power up, or reset the iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears).

I called Apple, and at first, the CSR had no knowledge of the issue, but after putting me on hold and checking with others, he came back on the line and said that they were working on a patch.

Hope that this is helpful to anyone else experiencing this issue.

This is not known to occur in the AT&T version.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the 'heads up' on this issue. Much appreciated. I'm sure it's going to come up a few times in the future and I'll be sure to direct members to your useful 'fix'.

Tim
Scotland

DiCO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this post. Solved my problem in 60 seconds on my first day with my new ipad2!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all and glad that the info was helpful. Unfortunately, yesterday's iOS 4.3.1 update did not resolve the issue for me. I tried reprovisioning (while connected to VZ and while disconnected) to no avail.

Here's a link to a thread on the Apple site:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2784042&tstart=0

Just wondering, is there anyone here with a Verizon model that is not experiencing this issue?

Last edited:

lferrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I got my iPad 2 Verizon, I went through the standard steps to activate the cellular data feature. I could not get it to work and finally called Verizon. The rep led me through a reset procedure and it activated and has been working well since.

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I got my iPad 2 Verizon, I went through the standard steps to activate the cellular data feature. I could not get it to work and finally called Verizon. The rep led me through a reset procedure and it activated and has been working well since.

Thanks for the reply. By "working well" do you mean that if you turn off of reboot your iPad with the Cellular Data switch in the off position, when the iPad comes back up, you can turn your cellular data on and it will work without a second reboot/restart?

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I found this cause I am having the same problem. I did switch IPads yesterday and had to do a reprovision so today the wifi/3G switch seems to be fine. I'm gonna keep monitoring it.

lferrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ajstan99 said:
Thanks for the reply. By "working well" do you mean that if you turn off of reboot your iPad with the Cellular Data switch in the off position, when the iPad comes back up, you can turn your cellular data on and it will work without a second reboot/restart?

I mean there is no problem at all. It works perfectly. I turn on-and-off the 3G anytime I choose. There is nothing quirky about it.

Captfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32gb Verizon white. I shut off the cellular Data switch because I kept getting the notice to sign on with Verizon. I got the iPad 2 with the Verizon 3G just to have when I may need it. After reading the op's post I tried to turn on the data switch and it wouldn't come on. I followed the op's instructions (set the switch to on, powered off then on the iPad 2) and the Verizon w/signal strength bars shows up again in the upper left hand corner.

Now the Cellular Data switch seems to work as Apple intended. I can turn it on and off from inside the settings page.

I did upgrade the OS from 4.3 to 4.3.1 before I started any of this.

I still have not activated my Verizon account. Hope this helps.

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks captx and lferrel. Unfortunately for me the on/off cellular switch only works if Cellular Data was on when my iPad was previously shut off or rebooted (in which case I caturn it on/off as many times as I want to - even after locking it). However, if I forget to turn Cellular Data on, then it never works.

It looks like you are both saying that your experience as follows:
1. Turn the Cellular Data switch off.
2. Power off or reboot your iPad.
3. Power up the iPad.
4. Turn on Cellular Data.
5. The Verizon service turns on and connects properly.

I wonder what is different for those of us that are having problems. FWIW, I restored my iPad 2 from an AT&T 3G iPad 1. Anyone else?

Captfx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me:
1. Turn the Cellular Data switch ON.
2. Power off iPad.
3. Power up the iPad.
4. (Turn on Cellular Data.) Data switch is already on.

FWIW,This is my first iPad. Except for a 1st generation iPod this is my first Apple product.

OP
A

ajstan99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me:
1. Turn the Cellular Data switch ON.
2. Power off iPad.
3. Power up the iPad.
4. (Turn on Cellular Data.) Data switch is already on.

FWIW,This is my first iPad. Except for a 1st generation iPod this is my first Apple product.
Hi Captfx - thanks for the quick reply. You just described the workaround for the bug. You should be able to have Cellular Data in the off position when you power off and still be able to turn the Verizon service on.

Would you be able to try one more thing? What happens if you power off with the Cellular Data switch in the off position? Can you still turn on your Verizon service when you power back up? Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts