What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we Stuck with IOS 5?

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 has been nothing but a pain in the proverbial since upgrading. I wish I'd stuck with IOS 4.

Since the upgrade it only works when it feels like it. The sound, music, keyboard clicks, etc work intermittently. As I'm typing this I'm getting sporadic keyboard clicks. I also get annoying keyboard lag in Safari and Mail which I never got before.

I tried all the usual resets and restores and triple checked my settings. But it still plays up.

How can Apple release such buggy operating system???

I've gone right off their products!

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look at Rich's troubleshooting guide. You'll find that most Members have nothing but praise for iOS5. But, to answer your original question, it's not possible to return to iOS4.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 has been nothing but a pain in the proverbial since upgrading. I wish I'd stuck with IOS 4.

Since the upgrade it only works when it feels like it. The sound, music, keyboard clicks, etc work intermittently. As I'm typing this I'm getting sporadic keyboard clicks. I also get annoying keyboard lag in Safari and Mail which I never got before.

I tried all the usual resets and restores and triple checked my settings. But it still plays up.

How can Apple release such buggy operating system???

I've gone right off their products!
Sorry to hear of your troubles, how frustrating. But as Tim points out tens of millions of folks (including yours truly) are using iOS 5 on their iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches without any issues. That's not to say I might have done a few things differently and I hope they'll make some changes and tweaks going forward, but overall things are good and your iPad shouldn't be giving you that kind of trouble.

You mentioned having done a few things. Did you actually try resetting it? The reason I ask is some folks mistake "restarting" for "resetting". Restarting , turning the iPad off and back on by holding the Sleep/wake switch on the edge of the iPad until the close slider shows up on the screen, shutting it down and then restarting it can actually fix things sometimes, but other times it takes more. So you may have already tried it, but if not, try resetting your iPad:
  • Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart. More here:
iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If it still has problems I'd look at restoring it either to an existing backup or to factory settings and then set things up again. More here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

If that still doesn't do it, it's time to either visit your local Apple store or contact them. They have first-class customer assistance and should be able to get things sorted out.

Apple - Support - iPad - Contact Support

Apple - Support - Contact Support

Contacting Apple for support and service

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou,
I've just restored it again on iTunes but I still get no sound.

If you look carefully at the photos you can see there's volume slider?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319711090.564756.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319711090.564756.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 417
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319711105.779277.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319711105.779277.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 386

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, this is certainly a new one on me!! I've never seen "Volume not available" before.

I am going to go away and think about this one - fascinating (for me, not for you!)

Tim

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,
It's working again now. I toggled the 'sound check' checkbox (music settings) 'on' and 'off' a couple of times and it fixed it!

I don't know what 'sound check' does but toggling it did the trick :)

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry you're having this issue. My iPad 1 upgraded fine, so I think you had a corrupid install.

OP
Hellion

Hellion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry you're having this issue. My iPad 1 upgraded fine, so I think you had a corrupid install.

Hi,
It's all working fine now although I do get a time lag between typing characters and them appearing on the screen on web pages. But I think Tim said this could be a wifi issue?

I'd be interested if anyone else experiences the same lag?

dennisaltersmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having problems restoring selected or ticked albums to iPhone 4 and iPad 1 post ios5. Also notice occasional lags and crashes. Please advise.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
It's all working fine now although I do get a time lag between typing characters and them appearing on the screen on web pages. But I think Tim said this could be a wifi issue?

I'd be interested if anyone else experiences the same lag?
I've seen the same lag on my web browsers (Atomic, iCab and Safari), but I'm using Google and it has that "auto-find" (or whatever you call it) "feature" that constantly searches for matches as you type, so the continual two-way communication causes some latency. I'll have to figure out how to turn that off and see if it gets better.

Other times the lag can be because something else is happening in the background. I notice it when the iPad checks for email.

Glad to hear things are good once again otherwise!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having problems restoring selected or ticked albums to iPhone 4 and iPad 1 post ios5. Also notice occasional lags and crashes. Please advise.
I had the same issue on my iPad after upgrading. I ended up doing two things, deleting all of the music on my iPad (uncheck "Sync Music", sync iPad, disconnect, reconnect and then re-check "Sync Music and let it load everything anew) plus reseting (not restarting) it. That took care of everything that wasn't working properly.
  • Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Hope that helps!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ever thought that this might be a message from apple to buy the ipad2 ;-)
kidding ....
There is of course some truth to that. Some folks have to have the latest, greatest products. That's the nature of the beast and I wouldn't expect less from any responsible company than to keep those folks happy.

That said, I've had pretty good luck with the "every other model" scheme. Buy the iPad 1, skip iPad 2, buy the iPad 3, skip the iPad 4 and so on. I've done the same with Mac's and iPhones with pretty good results...I never felt like I was really "behind" or missing out on anything too much because the next gen is usually 12 months away or so.

Unless there's a marked difference or incredible new feature all of the next gen "bells and whistles" are included in the following version plus some. Every 24 months is about right IMHO. Although I've been really impressed by Siri so my iPhone 4 has fallen under some serious scrutiny. :)

The release of iOS 5 was a bit of a trial...Apple certainly could have done a better job rolling it out and I'm pretty sure they know that by now. It's obvious that they didn't grasp the pent-up demand for iOS 5. The weekend after its introduction there were 25,000,000 downloads alone. Plus this was a full upgrade of all of the elements, not just incremental meaning that there was huge amount of work going on under the hood this time. They could have staggered it and had better, less troublesome results IMO. Hopefully they've learned and will do better next tim.

FWIW I'm perfectly happy with iOS 5 overall. I might have done a few things differently and there will be updates and tweaks coming, there always are, but it's a solid foundation to build on IMHO.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts