What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps don't work after iOS 5 update

ncyrider16

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just updated my original iPad 64gb to iOS 5 , and all the new stuff seems to be working, but all the apps and games I installed before the update don't work at all. When I open an app, it just stays at the home screen. How can I fix this??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oftentimes, the first - and best - thing to do in this situation (iPad acting "funny") is to do either a restart or a reboot (or both!). To do:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

You'd be amazed at how often this simple process helps. So, give it a try and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then once you have done that sync the iPad and make sure that all the apps you have are up to date.

chris_fieldhouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Facing the same problem with iPhone 4.
Even doing a power off/on reboot, the problem remains.
The apps are flagged as "up to date"...
any other ideas?

appleuser45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me after I did a sync. After tapping an app, the screen would go black then reappear but not open. Restart/reset didn't help. Then I downloaded a free games app to see if it'll work and it did. Now everything is back to normal. Not sure why it helped but it's worth a try!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - a couple of Members have noticed this. After the update, just download one (free) app - anything - and that app and all the other apps will now work. You can then delete the free app and the other apps will keep working..it seems to be a 'feature'.....

Tim

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the things I notice after going to iOS5 is Safari just randomly shutting down. That's kind of annoying. Anyone else experiencing this?

MoBoost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also experienced Safari shutting down multiple times.

mraif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the things I notice after going to iOS5 is Safari just randomly shutting down. That's kind of annoying. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, me too. And even when I am in some other apps.

weewood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Words With Friends does not work! When I click it to activate, the iPad goes blank for a split-second and flashes back the same screen. I've reset several times, and no luck! I can't believe I installed this update. Is there a way to go back a IOS release?

weewood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to reinstall Words With Friends in order to get it to work! Every other app seems to work fine.....

Most reactions

Latest posts