What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5.1 and iWork updates

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that Pages, Numbers and Keynote were updated for iOS 5.1, but the update did not show as available in the App Store Updates tab?

It popped up in the apps themselves when I ran them individually.

I don't remember this happening before.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I noticed this too - I went into Pages in the app store and it showed the updated version but nothing in the updates tab. I elected to update to IOS 5.1 first and then the updates page was showing all the updates for iWork & iLife apps. I assume this just meant there wre no updates for the current IOS version i.e. before I updated IOS.

thecaptain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an advice in the App store that updates were available for Pages, Numbers & Keynote. When I tried to update I got a message that they were incompatable with my operating system but i Tunes said my I Pad 2 was up to date. Clicked the check for updates button and was then advised an operating system update was available. Did the update (about 20 minutes all up) then Pages etc installed fine.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I also saw the updates appear as they should, but I also updated to 5.1 before looking. That might be the difference. Or just the usual App Store glitches.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also saw the updates appear as they should, but I also updated to 5.1 before looking. That might be the difference. Or just the usual App Store glitches.

You are right. Pages and Numbers, new update, required version iOS5.1. That is what clued me into the new update availability a couple of days ago. I saw that I had four apps updated in my list of apps but the button to update Pages and Numbers were greyed out. I thought that was strange, so I went and updated the other apps and these two remained. Then I updated my iOS and after that, both of these apps were now update-able.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I don't think the OP was seeing them at all, greyed out or not, so there may be more than one issue at stake. Not that App Store glitches are uncommon right after an update. More like the rule.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you guys/ gals seeing how much extra memory these iOS and app updates are consuming? For example on my wife's iPhone they want 800+ extra MB just for the 5.1 iOS not to mention what want new "retina" capable apps will want.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you guys/ gals seeing how much extra memory these iOS and app updates are consuming? For example on my wife's iPhone they want 800+ extra MB just for the 5.1 iOS not to mention what want new "retina" capable apps will want.

Yes. Apps that will be upgraded will suck up more memory for everyone, even if they have older hardware that can't take advantage of some higher-resolution features, etc., as I understand it. It might become a problem for people with too little storage.

Both my iPads are 64GB, so I think I'll be OK, even it means I might be more careful about storage.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be until we get forced into 5.1 and the new retina capable apps. I think I'm going to hang on and see.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be until we get forced into 5.1 and the new retina capable apps. I think I'm going to hang on and see.

Depends on which apps you use, I figure. I've seen about one-third of my 109 apps upgraded since iOS 5.1.

iPad owners will have some control, because you can opt to not update. But some apps will end up dead, because some developers will stop supporting older versions in favor of new ones. In some cases, that means you won't be able to use an app even if you opt to not update it.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
But some apps will end up dead

This is the disappointing part. I know nothing about computer/ app code but don't understand why an app wouldn't still work after it isn't supported anymore. Seems to me if the app works without Internet connection the developers shouldn't be able to disable it. Let us use it forever with the versions that work for us. It would make the iPad/ iPhones more valuable to me.

Most reactions

Latest posts