1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Apple TV... So who's bought/buying one then?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Prasius, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wait. "CRapple TV, itz suxors, buy £800 HTPC 2 play avi, mkv, tic, abcde, fubar instead, google tv....... And it don't have 1080p... Or a microwave.. Or popcorn maker.. Or wings...and it's not fluffy goddamn it.. AND it doesn't have flash so I can watch dancing badgers". Hopefully that will now save you from feeling the need to type.

Finally ordered mine from the apple store last night along with some christmas presents - can't wait to simplify the way I get my iTunes library from the crappy old Windoze Vista Sony laptop I have running as a server (which I keep wanting to replace with an older mini mac from eBay for no other reason than it's apple and it'll 'match'! - at this point i'll accept the fanboi tag ;)) - to my Onkoyo AV amp.

I'm actually childishly excited about finally having my home theatre & iTunes library properly integrated in a way that let's me ditch the whole mish-mash of cables I've got now!
  2. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    All my music an videos are on the PS3. I'll be installing a 1TB hard drive in it early next year.

Also going out in a few months and buying a HP touchscreen all in one desktop system. I'm going to build a custom coffee table for it with HDMI running to the 55" an surround sound. This way I have all my music, videos, pictures, Internet radio, netflix, hulu, all on one device ready to go. So I don't think apple tv will have much need in my home or what I need
  3. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +427 / 0
    I have the current apple tv and will add the new apple tv for the bedroom it's great to use and family love it.
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    I want one!
  5. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wakawaka- nope, I can see why AppleTV doesn't fit in with your system.

I was really interested in also getting the Slingbox HD as well, but I don't think it gives me the ability to control more than a single source remotely. :(
  6. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's the Slingbox Solo. The HD give you control on 4 devices.

Wait for the iPad application before committing to buying a Sling. I got mine with the iPhone app and it's really crummy! Almost useless...
  7. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I was only toying with the idea as it would mean I could watch things from my cable/iTunes while visiting the folks and stuff - which would be pretty cool, but if the app isn't very good then it makes the whole thing rather pointless for me.
  8. Big samm

Big samm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bought mine 2 days ago just like waka waka i had my hp laptop hooked to the tv via hdmi and digital out on my theater system... now with the apple tv i have all that in a very small package... now i can stream all my itunes content of my 3 laptops to the apple tv... can't forget about youtube , netflix, mobile me, itunes shows and movies all integrated in one tiny package... the best part has to be the remote app... works well on my iphone 4 and ipad 3G and apple tv!!
  9. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm interested in the remote app, does it come with Apple tv?
  10. rwilts

rwilts iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The launch of the new apple tv just prompted me again to look into getting an original apple tv! So i did. £70 from ebay and came with a new style alum remote. I need to have content stored locally and not over the network so will watch with interest till new one is JB..
  11. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    You can download it from the app store for free now. Works really well! (doesn't need apple tv, but will be so much better when mine arrives!)
  12. rkelac

rkelac iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone actually received theirs yet? I would be interested in a review of how it actually performs rather than the adds for it.
  13. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Don't think so yet... I believe a few guys on a predominantly UK AV forum I loiter on have been told by Apple to expect delivery on the 4th Oct.

I don't think from an iPad perspective we'll see AppleTV's true usefulness until post-November; and the whole rental thing is a complete sideshow for me - I'm going to be able to stream my itunes library to my AV reciever in digital wonderfulness.. No more horrible phono or VGA cables! ;)
  14. Bluesjam

Bluesjam iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm going to buy one. To get ready I bought the Airport Extreme base station last week.
  15. wrecklass

wrecklass iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Actually I read a lot about what the reviewers are saying about the Apple TV vs the other boxes and ordered a Roku XP|S.
  16. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    My wife may be wanting me to get one. I use my EyeTV to record shows instead of the old systems. She doesn't like watching them on the iMac, and at the price it seems like a good way to watch them on the 42". And since it is 720p, the failings of the Apple TV do not matter.
  17. jkhonea

jkhonea iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, that's something I hadn't considered. I've had several nights I've wanted some of my Apple TV movies in the bedroom. Maybe I'll grab one of these after all. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the idea, Col.
  18. jkhonea

jkhonea iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Question. Will it be possible for the new Apple TV to stream from an old, HD style Apple TV or will it be necessary to have a computer on for file access?
  19. djricekcn

djricekcn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I never used Apple TV or similar devices but for the price, why not just get a PC and save some money? you can make it the size of Apple TVish as well and have more options.

In other words, why do people choose Apple TV (and similar devices) over a PC (not necessarily Windows or OSX) that's probably can be done at half the price? Like I said, I never used such devices nor never really looked into them so sorry if it sounds like a bash question...but it isn't, it's just a curiosity question.
  20. jkhonea

jkhonea iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first generation Apple TV was $250. Hardly the price of a new PC. And I really don't like leaving computers on a good bit if I can avoid it. Just makes me nervous. And the new Apple TV with the streaming will be coming in around $99. Streams off another source or over the air, so still not a bad cost.