Apple TV... So who's bought/buying one then?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Prasius, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Wait. "CRapple TV, itz suxors, buy £800 HTPC 2 play avi, mkv, tic, abcde, fubar instead, google tv....... And it don't have 1080p... Or a microwave.. Or popcorn maker.. Or wings...and it's not fluffy goddamn it.. AND it doesn't have flash so I can watch dancing badgers". Hopefully that will now save you from feeling the need to type.

Finally ordered mine from the apple store last night along with some christmas presents - can't wait to simplify the way I get my iTunes library from the crappy old Windoze Vista Sony laptop I have running as a server (which I keep wanting to replace with an older mini mac from eBay for no other reason than it's apple and it'll 'match'! - at this point i'll accept the fanboi tag ;)) - to my Onkoyo AV amp.

I'm actually childishly excited about finally having my home theatre & iTunes library properly integrated in a way that let's me ditch the whole mish-mash of cables I've got now!

2. Wakawaka

Wakawaka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    All my music an videos are on the PS3. I'll be installing a 1TB hard drive in it early next year.

Also going out in a few months and buying a HP touchscreen all in one desktop system. I'm going to build a custom coffee table for it with HDMI running to the 55" an surround sound. This way I have all my music, videos, pictures, Internet radio, netflix, hulu, all on one device ready to go. So I don't think apple tv will have much need in my home or what I need

3. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the current apple tv and will add the new apple tv for the bedroom it's great to use and family love it.

4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I want one!

5. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Wakawaka- nope, I can see why AppleTV doesn't fit in with your system.

I was really interested in also getting the Slingbox HD as well, but I don't think it gives me the ability to control more than a single source remotely. :(

6. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    That's the Slingbox Solo. The HD give you control on 4 devices.

Wait for the iPad application before committing to buying a Sling. I got mine with the iPhone app and it's really crummy! Almost useless...

7. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I was only toying with the idea as it would mean I could watch things from my cable/iTunes while visiting the folks and stuff - which would be pretty cool, but if the app isn't very good then it makes the whole thing rather pointless for me.

8. Big samm

Big samm
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    bought mine 2 days ago just like waka waka i had my hp laptop hooked to the tv via hdmi and digital out on my theater system... now with the apple tv i have all that in a very small package... now i can stream all my itunes content of my 3 laptops to the apple tv... can't forget about youtube , netflix, mobile me, itunes shows and movies all integrated in one tiny package... the best part has to be the remote app... works well on my iphone 4 and ipad 3G and apple tv!!

9. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm interested in the remote app, does it come with Apple tv?

10. rwilts

rwilts
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The launch of the new apple tv just prompted me again to look into getting an original apple tv! So i did. £70 from ebay and came with a new style alum remote. I need to have content stored locally and not over the network so will watch with interest till new one is JB..