What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV... So who's bought/buying one then?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife may be wanting me to get one. I use my EyeTV to record shows instead of the old systems. She doesn't like watching them on the iMac, and at the price it seems like a good way to watch them on the 42". And since it is 720p, the failings of the Apple TV do not matter.

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never used Apple TV or similar devices but for the price, why not just get a PC and save some money? you can make it the size of Apple TVish as well and have more options.

In other words, why do people choose Apple TV (and similar devices) over a PC (not necessarily Windows or OSX) that's probably can be done at half the price? Like I said, I never used such devices nor never really looked into them so sorry if it sounds like a bash question...but it isn't, it's just a curiosity question.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
My first generation Apple TV was $250. Hardly the price of a new PC. And I really don't like leaving computers on a good bit if I can avoid it. Just makes me nervous. And the new Apple TV with the streaming will be coming in around $99. Streams off another source or over the air, so still not a bad cost.

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not a PC "front end"? Because they tend to look Heath Robinson at best in an AV set-up, the user interface can more often than not suck, it's overly complicated when you simply want to stream iTunes stuff...

The new apple TV is simple, elegant, cheap which ties in seamlessly with my iTunes/iPad/iPhone without having to mess around with settings, network set up or any other 'computer stuff'. It's the 'computer stuff' which has put normal people off HTPC's (which cost LOTS more than an AppleTV)- the AppleTV is that plug'n'play solution. I have an old Sony laptop with a broken screen, tucked out of the way which I use as my iTunes 'server' - the AppleTV is simply the front end.

The lack of 1080 is a total red herring as far as i'm concerned; the only 1080 media I have is on physical bluray disc. HD TV is 720, everyone still watches most of their TV in standard definition, HD film rentals on my cable box are 720, most online sources for legitimate downloads are 720 - even if they claim 1080 resolution the compression usually makes them worse than true bluray quality.

The Roku boxes look pretty cool actually, but many of the features are unusable outside of the US, and most importantly it won't access my iTunes library, so not really suitable for me. I do think it's a good option for those who aren't Apple fans though.

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, that's another thing; why would you not want to have settings? Settings are good thing since you can do unique adjustment and set it properly to the environment you are in. I understand the simplicity part but it's not like it's that complicated on the Windows or Macintosh side anyway + it also probably supports better codec and compression reads (usually).

Like I said, I'm not complaining or anything but just curious and at the same time, throwing out my thoughts / opinion. Also, be aware that 1080 is merely the resolution / screen size, not the quality of the visual. bluray quality 1080...well you have to get at least the 50/30mbps fios plan to play it smoothly (including audio streaming into the calculation), if the internet doesn't fail ;3

As for iTunes, it is easy to use but it's no where near great quality as to compared with other conversion programs out there sothere's another question for me right there. maybe i'm speaking a bit geeky?

Last edited:
OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, that's another thing; why would you not want to have settings? Settings are good thing since you can do unique adjustment and set it properly to the environment you in.

Also, be aware that 1080 is merely the resolution / screen size, not the quality of the visual. bluray quality 1080...well you have to get at least the 50/30mbps fios plan to play it smoothly (including audio streaming into the calculation), if the internet doesn't fail ;3

As for iTunes, it is easy to use but it's no where near great quality as to compared with other conversion programs out there sothere's another question for me right there. maybe i'm speaking a bit geeky?

Generally, I'm in total agreement with you. I'm happy to be a bit geeky - I spent hours setting up my AV amp and moving speakers around to get the best sound; but 'most' people don't want that. How many people want to have to specify or even think about bit rates, conversion algorithms, Digital to Audio Conversion... all stuff that goes on when people just stick a CD in a player to listen to some music (people still do that right?!). When it comes to wanting to crash on the sofa and watch something on the TV though, I just want it to work. I don't care how it works.. Just work.. If I have to touch a keyboard i'm not going to bother ;)

A qoute from a book I'm reading at the moment - the first ebook i've ever bought actually - "behind everything simple, is a huge tail of complicated...".

I think we agree with the 1080 thing from different sides of the argument, in that AppleTV has received criticism for not supporting 1080 when in reality, the infrastructure isn't widely in place anywhere to support the type of quality you should expect from such a feed. A good quality 720 source is always preferable to a crap 1080. It amazes me that people will complain that you can't get YouTube 1080p feeds on it... I mean, really? Do you really need to see a dog running into a window in HD?! ;). And until I can buy 100 Terrabyte drives for £150, I'm not going to be ripping my bluerays anytime soon.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered one of the cheap new Apple TV.

What put me over the edge was the reviews of how well the Netflix streaming was working, and how well HD seemed to work.

Something that I've got into is streaming Netflix movies on my iPad, or even connecting the iPad to the big screen TV using component cables. It works great.

So if I'm going to do that kind of thing, I might as well go one step up. I understand and appreciate the arguments for different devices, but it looks like I can rely on the Apple TV to work well right out of the box without any thought processes whatsoever...and I just don't want to be thinking about anything else at this particular juncture in my life.

:)

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not a PC "front end"? Because they tend to look Heath Robinson at best in an AV set-up, the user interface can more often than not suck, it's overly complicated when you simply want to stream iTunes stuff...

Depends on the situation. I use iTunes before on my pc to stream music..not complicated on pc anymore than a Mac. All boils down to the program you use.

I thought about apple tv but just another thing to tie into other things. Again some people it works, others it doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if once I get my hp all in one touchscreen installed in a coffee table, I bought an hp slate to control it for use on other TVs or speakers in other rooms. Unless I can get the iPad to do it with ease.

So what exactly can apple tv do? Because I must have missed something somewhere..

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Gotta admit, just put in my order for the new Apple TV also. Looks like it should stream from my PC and Mac iTunes so I'll be covered. The desktop PC stays on all the time. Should be perfect. Downloaded the new Remote apps for the iPad and iPod Touch last night. These things are fantastic on the old Apple TV. Can't wait for Airplay.

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Depends on the situation. I use iTunes before on my pc to stream music..not complicated on pc anymore than a Mac. All boils down to the program you use.

I thought about apple tv but just another thing to tie into other things. Again some people it works, others it doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if once I get my hp all in one touchscreen installed in a coffee table, I bought an hp slate to control it for use on other TVs or speakers in other rooms. Unless I can get the iPad to do it with ease.

So what exactly can apple tv do? Because I must have missed something somewhere..

you are right there's almost nothing the apple tv can do that the pc can't.... but I still bought it just for the ease of use.... and the killer feature must be the air play... all pictures, songs, videos, can be stream to your tv from you iPod touch, iPhone , or iPad... again with ease... no complication no need to use different programs.... out of the box it just works....

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With respect Wakawaka, your planned system is a hobbyists solution, as almost all other HTPC's are. AppleTV, and the other devices on the market like it, are an attempt to create a consumer solution to the 'problem'.

I'm not criticising your system, or other HTPC's, as they are obviously going to be massively capable, but they can also be massively complicated for the 'normal' person who just wants to watch "that video" ("codec? WTF is a co-deck?") on their PC, on their TV, without actually having their PC perched next to their Bluray player in their lounge.

The thing you have missed when looking at the AppleTV is it's simplicity. Joe Bloggs can sit on his sofa, browse iTunes on his iPad, buy a movie, browse his iTunes library using the remote app, hit play, and it appears on his big TV screen without once having to think "how do I get this to work?". As Big samm has said - it just works.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts