What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App sizes

bw1128

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me but i just got a new ipad and am totally new to the ipad so i have a couple questions. Why are so many apps open in iPhone size? Some open in iPad size filling the whole screen in hd but a ton don't. Including apple store and bestbuy of all apps. I would think those two for sure would be upgraded to work with the iPad with out the weird iPhone size app within the iPad.

Thanks!!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple intentionally designed the iPad to run iPhone apps so they (and iPad owners) could take advantage of the vast library of apps already developed for the iPhone. Moreover, Apple spends no great effort on distinguishing between the categories clearly because if they did it would apparent that a relatively small portion of all apps have actually been designed for the iPad form factor. An informal identification system has emerged among developers to distinguish true iPad apps. Look for "HD" in the name of the app to find those. Unfortunately, even that is not foolproof since some apps have been redesigned for the iPad but cannot be used in landscape mode. (Almost all iPhone apps are designed for the portrait orientation.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is really not that hard to tell if an app is written for the iPad; though a bit of experience helps.

If you do a search, the iPad apps clearly show up in the iPad section. Universal apps will show up under both.

If there is a plus mark in the price button, the app is universal, and will display well on both the iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch.

You have to interpret a bit when reading the requirements in the app's description. If it only mentions the iPad, then it is an iPad app. If it mentions the other devices but does not have a plus mark in the price button, then it will work on the iPad, but only in the emulation mode you've already discovered.

Another indication that the app is for the iPad are the screen shots. If they show only iPad shots, the app is probably iPad only. If it only shows iPhone shotes, it will probably only run in emulation mode. If it shows both, it's universal. This is also where you'll get clues as to whether the developer went to the trouble to create a true iPad user interface, or just blew up the iPhone's.

Out of the more than 500,000 apps in the apps store only about 15,000 are written for the iPad. (last stats I remember reading) That's still massively more tablet apps than any other store can brag about; and I've noticed that best developers are well represented among those 15,000 apps.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd only add to Twerppoet's comments that what pass for "universal" apps vary a great deal. Sometimes it means that the app actually rotates properly to landscape orientation, sometimes not, for example. I've found it's a fair assumption that an iPhone only app will be a disappointment on the iPad, but often that's not really much of a problem if the app serves a limited purpose. I hold "HD" labeled apps to a higher standard. They should be designed to take advantage of features on the iPad not available on other devices. For the most part that turns out to be a justified assumption. And if it's not the reviews usually make it obvious.

Most reactions

Latest posts