What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App size app?

gojanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an app that can show the memory size of each installed app on an ipad?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know of one that runs on the iPad, but if you connect your iPad to iTunes on your computer and choose 'Apps' (on the top bar of the main screen), you'll get a listing of all the apps you have installed along with their size in memory.. There's even a 'sort by size' option so you can view them from largest to smallest

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're on iOS 5 or 5.0.1, check out Settings > General > Usage > Storage for a breakdown. No need to connect to a computer.

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The info given in iTunes, at the bottom, where it says ”Capacity ... Audio ... Video 6.6 GB ... Apps 14.9 GB ... is misleading,

because when looking into the iOS on the pad, where it says > ... > Storage, it's not really the apps that is SO BIG, BUT the files which are stored through this one app.

So for example when it says here: my apps having 14.9 GB, it's all the videos which I have in my video player. (And these are as it seems counted seperately from those videos in ”Video 6.6 GB” !

=>In iTunes > Apps > Sort by Size, there you can see the actual size of the app itself, which is correct.

Just to clear this out, and I think Apple should clarify this.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're on iOS 5 or 5.0.1, check out Settings > General > Usage > Storage for a breakdown. No need to connect to a computer.

The info given in iTunes, at the bottom, where it says ”Capacity ... Audio ... Video 6.6 GB ... Apps 14.9 GB ... is misleading,

because when looking into the iOS on the pad, where it says > ... > Storage, it's not really the apps that is SO BIG, BUT the files which are stored through this one app.

So for example when it says here: my apps having 14.9 GB, it's all the videos which I have in my video player. (And these are as it seems counted seperately from those videos in ”Video 6.6 GB” !

=>In iTunes > Apps > Sort by Size, there you can see the actual size of the app itself, which is correct.

Just to clear this out, and I think Apple should clarify this.

Like I said nearly a year ago, you can check app size on iPad.

Settings > General > Usage > Storage gives a breakdown of each app and its data. Click on each app and iPad specifies individual app size, as well as data.

When you say that Apple should clarify, what are you not understanding? It's already spelled out. In videos, for example, it even tells you how big each movie is.

OmarKN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok folks here is a follow-up:

On iTunes I read that on my iPad I have now only 2.32 GB free space;
and that 73 Apps use 17.21 GB = 60 % of iPad's memory !!!

Then when I counted in iTunes the actual MB of all my apps I get: 3015,62 MB ≈ 3 GB;
so this is very different from 17.21 GB as shown in the iTunes bar.

The Videos on AVPlayerHD take up 11GB, and "Videos" (Apple's built-in; as seen in iTunes) take up 3.79 GB.

Then from this I would conclude that videos are counted "as if part of" applications, i.e. Apples "Videos" and "AVPlayerHD."
So when it is written 73 Apps use 17.21 GB (as seen in iTunes) this would mean, apps 3GB + 11 GB videos (from AVPlayerHD) = 14 GB ;
still an unaccounted difference of 3 GB !!!!

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok folks here is a follow-up:

On iTunes I read that on my iPad I have now only 2.32 GB free space;
and that 73 Apps use 17.21 GB = 60 % of iPad's memory !!!

Then when I counted in iTunes the actual MB of all my apps I get: 3015,62 MB ≈ 3 GB;
so this is very different from 17.21 GB as shown in the iTunes bar.

The Videos on AVPlayerHD take up 11GB, and "Videos" (Apple's built-in; as seen in iTunes) take up 3.79 GB.

Then from this I would conclude that videos are counted "as if part of" applications, i.e. Apples "Videos" and "AVPlayerHD."
So when it is written 73 Apps use 17.21 GB (as seen in iTunes) this would mean, apps 3GB + 11 GB videos (from AVPlayerHD) = 14 GB ;
still an unaccounted difference of 3 GB !!!!

The unaccounted storage is for firmware, as in iOS, which lets your iPad do what needs doing. Otherwise, you'd have a useless paperweight.

Most reactions

Latest posts