What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App for making a few marks on a Word Doc

daroga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all!

My iPad should be coming in early June. Looking forward to trying it to replace paper in my teaching.

I usually have handouts of questions and quotes for the class. As with anything, you don't notice all the typos until you actually start using them, so I often find myself circling things that are misspelled or something I'd like to reword before I save the handouts for future use.

I don't need a full-fledged word processor (although I imagine I might have to get it to what I want here), but I just would like something that can open a Word .doc file and allow me to make some marks. How it makes them is immaterial; I won't fix it on the iPad, I'll just be marking it for later visit at my PC. So if there was something that would let me change some font settings (color most likely) or just draw a little circle in an area that needs to be addressed, that would be great.

GoodReader seems really primo for this, but as far as I understand you can't markup a non-PDF file with it. I don't really want to have to save my documents as both .DOCs and PDFs in order to use the iPad. I'd like it to just be saved, transfer over to my Dropbox account, and be able to pull it up on the iPad in class.

Can GoodReader start treating a .DOC like a PDF? I don't need it to save it back as DOC, as I'll make the changes on the computer, not the iPad.

Any thoughts to my overly complicated question with a simple answer?

Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Goodreader can read .doc files, but it can't make marks on them.

You might want to take a look at Documents To Go. It easily opens .doc (and .docx) files and you can make editing changes on them. Not marks - but you can change the font (color or embolden the areas you wish to change). In fact, you can highlight with Docs2Go, so you can easily see any changes you want to make. You can then transfer the document(s) back to Dropbox (either by saving the original or doing a "save as" type save) so you can open it later on a computer.

I'm not selling Docs2Go - it just happens to be the app I have that'll open/read/edit Word documents. I'm sure there are others out there...

Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts