What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apotop Wi-Reader wireless reader/router

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This little beauty arrived in the post today........

image-541582166.jpg

So, what is it? Well it's a tiny, really tiny wifi card reader (SD/USB Flash) specifically designed for iOS devices. It is also a mobile wifi router that can provide a wireless connection to any device/computer. So, despite it's small dimensions it packs quite a punch (if it really does what it says it does!).

From the box, these are the claims......

- two way data sharing wirelessly between SD card/ USB Compact Flash and up to three iPads/iPhones simultaneously (need to use the Wi Reader App which is a free download from the App Store.
- built in rechargeable battery (up to 3 hours dependant on useage)
- it's a wifi router, so create a wifi network, attach a network cable in your hotel room, office, etc and you have an instant network for your mobile devices/computers (802.11b/g/n)

Here is the back of the box.....

image-729541841.jpg

Yep, there are lots more words on the back of the box but I just edited out the guff!

How tiny is it, well here are some pictures with a Blu-Ray disc to give an idea of scale.......

image-3609864491.jpg

image-1754145955.jpg

image-599557211.jpg

image-651544516.jpg

image-3317673438.jpg

And the easy to download Wi Reader App......

image-179399047.jpg

Over the coming few days I'll be testing this tiny package out to see exactly what it can do and I'll report back here with my findings.

The Archangel

Last edited:
OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing how well it works. Thanks.

I'm aiming to give it a proper test later this week or the weekend and I'll report straight back, if it does what it says on the tin it should be pretty useful.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This looks great, Gabe!! Can't wait to see what your thoughts are after using this for a bit!!

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This looks great, Gabe!! Can't wait to see what your thoughts are after using this for a bit!!

I'm already impressed by the size, all these little things compliment the IPad Mini and iPhone especially, all the kit I need and almost no weight.

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some time ago I promised a review of the Wi-Reader and despite being somewhat tardy I have now done my initial review.

Before continuing ill apologise now for a) the reflection of my oak beamed ceiling (where I was sitting I couldn't see the reflections and didn't notice until I had completed the exercise and started Skitching!) and b) some of the less than crystal clear photography, my shaking hand would make me a somewhat unreliable gun slinger!

So, here we go, my initial impressions!

First up, here is my iPad Mini alongside the Wi-Reader, the indicator lights highlighted are important!

View attachment 44915

Switch on the Wi-Reader then watch the indicator lights, as soon as the blue light starts blinking you can connect. You'll find the Wi-Reader in your wifi networks in the Settings App (in this instance I haven't set a password which I have subsequently done), so click on the name and hey presto, you'll be connected, it's as easy as that!

View attachment 44916

Now, open the Wi-Reader App, on the left hand side you'll see the pre-installed folders in Wi-Reader (you can add your own folders to this list). Initially these folders are Videos, Photos, Music and Documents, below the Documents folder is another icon in orange which is Folder View.

View attachment 44917

I had some films converted from my DVD collection on this SD card and these appeared as soon as I clicked on the Videos folder.

View attachment 44918

Now I've clicked on a video and with just a couple of seconds of buffering the video started to play on the right hand side of the screen, wirelessly from the SD card.

View attachment 44919

Then a reverse pinch brought the video up full screen.

View attachment 44920

There are four option buttons along the bottom of the left hand side of the screen, I haven't played with them all yet but the first button brings up a menu providing the following options: Save To Library, Download, Move, Export, Rename, Delete and Cancel. Already I am amazed at the control this little device and its app are giving me.

View attachment 44921

The second button at the bottom is Collections, this provides the ability to upload from my iPad to the SD card (the woohoo's are flowing freely now!).

View attachment 44922

After asking if it could access my photos it then brought up thumbnails of the images in my Photo Library. I ticked the photos that I wanted to upload from my iPad to my SD card and hit the Done button.

View attachment 44923

In double quick time (and I mean super quick) the photos started uploading, around a second or so per image, too quick for me to time.

View attachment 44924

When the uploading completed I hit the photo folder button and there they were, all the images listed on the SD card.

View attachment 44925

And just for completeness here is one of the uploaded images being read wirelessly from the SD card.

View attachment 44926

There is much more to explore but so far I am really impressed with this little gadget and its app, it is super fast, plenty of powerful options and really easy to use. This is by far the best performing gadget that I have purchased for my iPads and iPhone and I can really recommend it.

There is lots more for me to explore with this little guy but for now.....th....th....th.....that's all folks!

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review--it has convinced me to look into this as an investment also! That little box has a lot of everything built into its little unit!!

Thanks Gabe for this great and detailed review! :)

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great review--it has convinced me to look into this as an investment also! That little box has a lot of everything built into its little unit!!

Thanks Gabe for this great and detailed review! :)

Thank you, it's also worth noting that I have yet to charge it! It has a web interface where not only can security settings be arranged along with a myriad of other settings which I am yet to explore but also you can plug a patch cable in from a wired router and this will turn into a wifi router. I will try to connect my MBA to it later as that would be amazing (not that it's overly important).

This is a really well thought out device, brilliant for home or office use but also superb for travelling as a travel router and card reader with less chance of becoming obsolete if Apple change the iPad/iPhone connector again.

The Archangel

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Gabe for a great review. I saw you mention this before but this has now convinced me to get this little versatile unit ASAP.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Gabe for a great review. I saw you mention this before but this has now convinced me to get this little versatile unit ASAP.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Andrew, I'm completely blown away at how good this is. I took a punt on it when I saw it but I'm glad I did (not least because it was discounted from £75 to £25, as I recall), a bargain at either price.

The Archangel

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful review Gab.....yes, you've now talked me into this amazing small piece of kit!

Thank you!

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful review Gab.....yes, you've now talked me into this amazing small piece of kit!

Thank you!

Thank you from me too for your review Gabe.

It looks like I've some shopping to do. ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Go for it, it's one of those ideal, simple devices that makes you wonder why no one thought of it before......I'm surprised Apple hasn't come up with one of these instead of those ugly adapters that you can plug into the bottom of an iDevice (and even then, only one at a time!).

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts