What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone use one of those wireless storage drives/devices? Do they work good?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Was reading a little about the various wireless storage drives that can be used with iPads. They are basically like a mini hard drive. Just curious if anyone here has used one and has any feedback on them. Some can be streamed directly from which would be nice. Seems like a good way to increase storage for reasonable cost. Unless they don't work well, of course.

Thanks.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Was reading a little about the various wireless storage drives that can be used with iPads. They are basically like a mini hard drive. Just curious if anyone here has used one and has any feedback on them. Some can be streamed directly from which would be nice. Seems like a good way to increase storage for reasonable cost. Unless they don't work well, of course. Thanks.

I have the GoFlex Satellite. It works pretty well for streaming.

I wouldn't rely on the cloud as someone else has suggested. Might be fine if you have a super isp, but mine isn't reliable enough.

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are plenty of free options to go by if you are comfortable with Cloud services. Take Box for instance. I don't know if they still provide it, but they offered 50gb of space when you signed up. There are specific ways to save directly to the cloud (I had to buy an app called "Folder Plus" because iOS is so darn specific and controlling of what gets to be saved onto the iCloud and what doesn't).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are several reviews here if you go looking for them. Most of them work fine, but we can't be sure what you may be expecting from them. The Airstash can be used for movie watching, music listening, storing/retrieving photos, and even for document storage. Can't say if they all have the same type of support, but most of them do the first three functions I listed just fine. If one has WebDav support, then certain apps will know how to talk to it, so this is a feature I look for. Not all of the list support for WebDav.

OP
s2mikey

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the suggestions and replies. At least I know I have choices. An article on Cnet is what sparked my interest initially.

Cool! :D

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the suggestions and replies. At least I know I have choices. An article on Cnet is what sparked my interest initially.

Cool! :D

I definitely think one of these ought to be in the tool bag of anyone that doesn't want to fork over all the cash that Apple wants for the higher storage models. I personally prefer the size of the AirStash+ as I can take it anywhere without a weight hit, but I'm also interested in one that has a USB port that will let you attached an external harddrive or largish flash drive.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Remember if you use cloud services and cellular streaming will eat away at your data. That is why I won't store music and video 'out there'.

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember if you use cloud services and cellular streaming will eat away at your data. That is why I won't store music and video 'out there'.

That's the thing. I have an unlimited data plan with my Samsung S3 Android phone. And one of the best things you can do with an Android phone is root it. Therefore, my iPad Air connects to my S3 via Wifi and I've been streaming gigs upon gigs of data without any repercussions or extra $$$ money out of my pocket. I think it's ludicrous to have phone companies to sell data to "smartphones" and data for "tablets" when they're basically the same.

Most reactions

Latest posts