What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External hard drive for ipad allows up to three people to store and stream

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar in function to AirStash, the newly announced Kingston "Mobi SX" is a WEP-secured wireless storage device that allows up to three people to store and then stream media files.

CES: Kingston builds external hard drive for iPad
'Wireless USB' device extends iPad, iPod and iPhone

By Matt Egan, PC Advisor UK
January 08, 2011 01:06 PM ET

Comment Print
Kingston this week at CES showed PC Advisor an Apple iPad accessory that dramatically increases the storage capabilites of Apple's tablet PC. The 'Mobi SX' is a WEP-secured wireless storage device that allows up to three people to store and then stream media files.

'Mobi SX' is the code name for a device Kingston claims will be available in the second quarter of 2011. Using 802.11a/b/g/n wireless, the 'Mobi SX' will come in 16GB and 32GB capacities, and will work with any Apple iOS device. It is a good-looking device, with the shiny black finish of an Apple iPhone.

CES: Kingston builds external hard drive for iPad News - PC Advisor

The MobiSX was shown off to a lucky few behind closed doors at CES in Las Vegas yesterday – essentially they’ve have created a flash storage drive with Wi-Fi built in so you can hook it up to all your Apple gizmos.

MobiSX-1.jpg

All you have to do it fire up your iPad, go to your Safari browser, tap in its IP address and you’ll be greeted with a file manager. From there you’ll be able access documents, photos, movies and music.

According to early reports, movies streamed direct from the MobiSX take just a couple of seconds to spring to life on the iPad’s screen, and up to three people can stream from a MobiSX simultaneously.

Battery life tops out at four hours constant streaming, or six in standby waiting for iPads, iPhones, iPod touches or laptops to connect.

What were looking at here is the first way to relieve storage anxiety as you won’t ever run out of space, and this is becoming more and more of a problem, especially with the inflating size of apps that are hitting the app store recently – we recently installed FIFA 11 on our iPad to be shocked that it was over a 1 gig.

And the icing on the wireless cake: Kingston has stated that this space saving solution will set you back $100 for a 16GB model, allowing you to double the space of the smalled iPad without having to remortgage your house.

CES 2011: Kingston Show Off Storage Solution For iPad | UK Gadget and Tech News, Reviews and Shopping

I will definitely be getting this or the AirStash when they are available.

Video link:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5im0DbKwrww&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still prefer my AirStash. Since it uses SD cards, it's more flexible about storage size, and you can swap cards at a whim; I currently use two 32GB cards with mine giving me access to 128GB of storage total. I wish 64GB cards were cheaper...

Red Rover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I correct in my assessment that these devices only allow you to play files from the device to the iPad and they do not let you store files from the iPad to the device?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I correct in my assessment that these devices only allow you to play files from the device to the iPad and they do not let you store files from the iPad to the device?

Currently, yes on the AirStash. By the end of the month, Wearable Inc. will supposedly offer an upgrade that will let WebDAV-compatible software like QuickOffice to save files to the AirStash in the same way they let you save to DropBox and MobileMe.

Most reactions

Latest posts