What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Wireless Hard Drive Solution for iPad?

Pptdgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad and I'm looking for a wireless hard drive solution so that I can do the following..

- Store videos and music on the hard drive and stream them to the iPad
- Save files from my iPad to the hard drive (Mainly photos that I have edited on my iPad and want to store on the hard drive)

The ones that I have looked at seem to have very poor reviews and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good solutions?
Ideally I would want something that is at least 500 GB and maybe as much as 1 TB.

Many thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which ones have you looked at? I didn't think there were that many on the market.....

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new iPad and I'm looking for a wireless hard drive solution so that I can do the following..

- Store videos and music on the hard drive and stream them to the iPad
- Save files from my iPad to the hard drive (Mainly photos that I have edited on my iPad and want to store on the hard drive)

The ones that I have looked at seem to have very poor reviews and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good solutions?
Ideally I would want something that is at least 500 GB and maybe as much as 1 TB.

Many thanks

Have a look at this thread and see if this helps: http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html

oleyellabuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's something called the Seagate GoFlex Satellite, the Kingston Wi-Drive and the Maxell AirStash. They all have free iOS apps you interface with. Pros and cons to both. I haven't plopped my money down on any of them, but I've been considering the AirStash. Seems like it's got the longest battery life and is more flexible with the removable SD cards.

OP
P

Pptdgc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ones I looked at were the Seagate GoFlex Satellite and the the Kingston Wi-Drive - the reviews I read weren't that great.

I hadn't heard of the Maxell AirStash but it sounds like it could be a good option, although I haven't found many reviews on it. I wish SDXC cards were a bit cheaper. I would be interested to know whether I could stream high res videos from it and whether the app allows files to be transferred from the iPad to the device wirelessly.

I did consider using a normal NAS and connecting this to my home network so that I could access my files from anywhere over the internet using iPad apps (like the ones Synology do). However, I don't think it would be fast enough to enable me to stream videos.

Thanks or the help

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a pogo plus series 4. I have a 1tb hard drive connected to it. My upstream speed is about 4-5 Mbps. I can stream to any place I am IF that location has a good Internet connection and there is nothing mucking up the Internet in general when I'm streaming. For example, if I go to my girlfriend place across town, who has good Internet, I can stream just find to my tablets or laptop.

Most reactions

Latest posts