What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seagate Launches First Mobile Wireless Storage for iOS

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
seagate_go_flex.JPG

Seagate today announced its GoFlex Satellite mobile wireless storage drive, which is the first battery-powered external hard drive to wirelessly extend the storage capacity of any Wi-Fi enabled mobile device. The GoFlex boasts a storage capacity of 500GB, Wi-Fi access over 802.11 b/g/n, and a rechargeable battery, and has been made primarily with iOS devices in mind. To this end, Seagate has also launched the GoFlex Media app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, designed to help you seamlessly connect the GoFlex to your iOS device.

"With the growth of the tablet and iPad markets and the larger volumes of high-quality media now being consumed, there is a clear need for access to content that is not plagued with the challenges of streamed video over the Internet," said Patrick Connolly, vice president and general manager of Seagate's retail group. "The unfortunate fact is that these popular new mobile devices are hampered by their limited storage capacity while one of their primary functions is that of media consumption.

With the GoFlex Satellite mobile wireless storage, we wished to create an elegant solution that provides real value to the multitude of iPad users out there by delivering a seamless connection to local storage. No longer will a consumer feel as though it is a compromise to purchase a lower capacity tablet or iPad. With GoFlex Satellite, people will be able to carry their entire media library with them without the need for wires or the web at a fraction of the cost of adding 3G or purchasing or a higher capacity tablet."

The GoFlex Satellite drive costs $199.99, and can be preordered now from Seagate.com, Amazon and BestBuy.com. Seagate says that it should be available in Best Buy stores in July 2011, and will also be onsale worldwide later in the summer. Click here to download the free app: GoFlex Media (Seagate Technology) for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Last edited:

tiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm yes it seems to be great since my iPad 2 loves more WiFi than anything else lol
But is it my eyes or is that thicker than the current Laptop / Notebook USB external HDs? And how it handles WiFi connectivity? Can I have my home WiFi and the WiFi to the HD active at the same time or do I need to join this HD to my home WiFi. I guess a Video is needed lol.
And regarding speed.... Yes not even a question sure it will be WiFi speed.
At least they pack it with a USB 3 Connector... Connector?Hmm even bulkier then...
Anyway at least they will have or have already an app:)

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Hmm yes it seems to be great since my iPad 2 loves more WiFi than anything else lol
But is it my eyes or is that thicker than the current Laptop / Notebook USB external HDs? And how it handles WiFi connectivity? Can I have my home WiFi and the WiFi to the HD active at the same time or do I need to join this HD to my home WiFi. I guess a Video is needed lol.
And regarding speed.... Yes not even a question sure it will be WiFi speed.
At least they pack it with a USB 3 Connector... Connector?Hmm even bulkier then...
Anyway at least they will have or have already an app:)

Check the Seagate link out, it has a lot more information on the drive:
GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now our iPads looks even more promising with this drive...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

tiger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Maura Wow that link is quite good. They have all there, and 2 modern videos.
The app is called GoFlex Media
The only thing which is not working right now is the download Link for GoFlex Satellite Data Sheet which would doawnload file ds_goflex_satellite.pdf
But this is not the forums problem here lol

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks good and after some time the price should come down from 199.00 and it's cover for 3 yrs looks good if you need all that space

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:
All it needs is interchangeable batteries for swapping on-the-go to increase usage time.

Or use one of those powermonkey battery packs to power it via USB?

lonzom10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This looks promising. Look forward to see it on the market and reading some hands on reviews!

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The idea sounds ok in theory, but really how much data does one need to carry around. The iPad needs a pc or for upgrades, music transfer, video transfer etc... could that not be attached to a large hard drive and the iPad used for what it has been designed, simple & easy mindless fun.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts