What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else experiencing chipping on the edge of glass display?

rbmbma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad Mini on 11/12/12 from Best Buy. At the salesperson's insistence, I also purchased a Smart Cover, Zagg Screen Protector and extended warranty, as well. At the end of December, I noticed that the left hand edge of the glass screen (near where the Smart Cover attaches to the iPad Mini) has small chips on it. I have always been extremely careful when I used the iPad Mini. The only thing I can think that might have happened is that it fell off the sofa onto an area rug. The fall was less than two feet and there was no force behind it; it simply slipped off the sofa. Could that have caused the chipping? I am a neat freak and like my toys to remain pristine; needless to say, I am very disappointed. I haven't taken it back to Best Buy yet. I wanted to find out if this was a common occurrence or if it is a rare event. I also wanted to know if any of you have had this same issue. Thanks for responding.

Ii

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have heard of hundreds of cases of damaged glass due to falls. Best bet is to take it back to BB and see if the warranty covers it. AppleCare + does, but you may have bought a different warranty. No harm in trying anyway.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, no problem. I use the Apple smart cover and no screen protector which I personally believe to be a waste of money.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I keep mine in a case, but a case cannot protect against all falls (well, some cases can, but certainly NOT the ones from Apple). This is the reason to get the AppleCare+. AppleCare+ allows for two incidents within a two-year span. There is a $50 charger per incident. I don't know the details of the Best Buy extended warranty, so you will need to look at your paperwork, check their website, or go back to the store.

Personally, I don't like the Apple covers and/or case. There are many many others to choose from. Many have a better price too.

Good luck and let us know what you find out about BB.

Most reactions

Latest posts