What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming from Android tablet

dbbl21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone else is coming from an Android tablet and if so what has your experience been. I have had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for over a year now and while I do like it, I find that I really do not customize it at all (I customize my Galaxy Nexus frequently) it lags a lot lately and I really just want something different and a little smaller that I could use for web browsing, email and some games.

I recently went into Best Buy and played with the mini and fell in love. The size is exactly what I have been looking for and it just felt perfectly in my hands. After seeing my excitement my girlfriend surprised me and ordered me one this past Thursday (11-15-12). This will be my first Apple product (aside from the original ipod touch) so I am looking forward to it! The screen looked good enough for me and think it is a good trade off for the form factor. The Apple website says 2 weeks to process the order :/. I hope they hurry up! Has anyone else ordered one recently from Apple? Did it ship quicker than it said it would?

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone else is coming from an Android tablet and if so what has your experience been. I have had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for over a year now and while I do like it, I find that I really do not customize it at all (I customize my Galaxy Nexus frequently) it lags a lot lately and I really just want something different and a little smaller that I could use for web browsing, email and some games.

I recently went into Best Buy and played with the mini and fell in love. The size is exactly what I have been looking for and it just felt perfectly in my hands. After seeing my excitement my girlfriend surprised me and ordered me one this past Thursday (11-15-12). This will be my first Apple product (aside from the original ipod touch) so I am looking forward to it! The screen looked good enough for me and think it is a good trade off for the form factor. The Apple website says 2 weeks to process the order :/. I hope they hurry up! Has anyone else ordered one recently from Apple? Did it ship quicker than it said it would?
You should like the Apple.. I have both the Apple and Nexus (android) .. both are great.. depends on what you like best.. for me, I like the experience and the fun of playing and learning both.. but if someone had a gun to my head and I had to choose one in 5 seconds.. I would pick BOTH.. :)
Doug

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dbbl21 said:

Welcome to the iPad Forums! I'm sure you'll enjoy learning all you can about your new iPad when it arrives.

Threelions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just sold my N7 after trialling both and both are great tablets but I decided to stick with my mini as its just easier to get what I want wise and although its a cliche Apple stuff just works. I had so much hassle setting up streaming from my PC on my Nexus but its just simple as installing Airplay on my Ipads(have 4th gen too). In the past I went for Android as I loved messing about with custom rooms and so on but now I just want something I can pick up and use.

You shouldn't have any major problems switching just getting used to a different interface is all you need to do.

OP
D

dbbl21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doug I was considering the N7 before the mini was announced but the 7 inch tablets aren't quite big enough in my opinion.

Thanks scifan, I can't wait to get it.

Threelions - That's a big reason I'm switching to the iPad. I just want to be able to pick it up and it works and it's easy to use. Not that Android tablets are hard to use but like I said I'm not interested in customizing my tablet and flashing ROMs anymore. For my phone, I love changing the way it looks on a weekly basis and trying different ROMs, so I'm sticking with Android phones for now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I currently have a mini, an iPad 3, a Nexus 7, a Kindle Fire, and a Acer Iconica Tab A500. I'm a fan of tablets. iOS is simple, so there should no problem. You have a touch so you know how iOS is...

I much perfer a 4:3 screen on a tablet and even monitor. The only time I want to see 16:9 or 16:10 is on a TV. For most everything other than movie watching, 4:3 works best.

iOS has the best selection of tablet apps. For me, the reason to own a tablet is to use apps and I have many (on both platforms, in fact). I do enjoy some of what Android has to offer, though, but I don't get upset that iOS doesn't have them. Some do and seem to want to drive iOS to be Android. I say if you want Android, get Android.

Androids seem to force you to customize a bit more than iOS does. I find I had to use folders on iOS though because I had so many apps that I could not find stuff. So, in the end I'm not sure if I see a lot of difference.

I really like the mini....I grab it over my iPad 3 at home just because it is so small. I grab it over the GN7 because of the 4:3 screen. If it had a retina display, it would be near perfect.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've now got Samsung Galaxy Note phablet and two Kindle Fires (HD and original), along with three iPads. Thinking about getting a full-size Samsung tab next, but waiting till MS Surface pro debuts to decide. I want SD card support on a full-size tab. I buy only what works easily, and I will return anything that doesn't meet that bar. I like diff platforms for diff reasons. It's great to have choice.

My iPad 4 4G arrived 10 days ahead of schedule from Apple.com. Maybe they sold fewer than expected.

When I was at Target the weekend before last, they had iPad minis and iPad 4 wifi-only models in stock. If I wanted a mini, I'd call and see whether they still do, before trying to order online.

shEEEsh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have owned windows tablets since FOREVER .. I had HP and Fujitsu laptop/tablets .. I had a couple of Sony UMPCs. I still have a 2 year old Lenovo laptop/tablet .. AND ... I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (the first one) the Samsung Note (the first one) plus the iPad 3, iPhone 4s and the iMini .. but my NUMBER 1 FAVORITE is the Samsung Slate 7, a gift from the Microsoft Developer Conference ..They still make the Slate 7 but mine has a slot for a Sim card. (never use it though) and some different hardware (don't know what) .. I love the handwriting recognition .. It is GREAT .. I wish Apple had REAL handwriting recognition where you could use a Wacom Pen Stylus rather than one that looks and feels like a broken crayon. I 'write' EVERYTHING on my Slate and it recognizes even my WORST script .. Pretty sure I will buy the Surface Pro when it comes out. I might be alone here but I really like Windows 8 ..

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
shEEEsh said:
I have owned windows tablets since FOREVER .. I had HP and Fujitsu laptop/tablets .. I had a couple of Sony UMPCs. I still have a 2 year old Lenovo laptop/tablet .. AND ... I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (the first one) the Samsung Note (the first one) plus the iPad 3, iPhone 4s and the iMini .. but my NUMBER 1 FAVORITE is the Samsung Slate 7, a gift from the Microsoft Developer Conference ..They still make the Slate 7 but mine has a slot for a Sim card. (never use it though) and some different hardware (don't know what) .. I love the handwriting recognition .. It is GREAT .. I wish Apple had REAL handwriting recognition where you could use a Wacom Pen Stylus rather than one that looks and feels like a broken crayon. I 'write' EVERYTHING on my Slate and it recognizes even my WORST script .. Pretty sure I will buy the Surface Pro when it comes out. I might be alone here but I really like Windows 8 ..

shEEEsh! You have a lot of stuff! I do not have that many devices. I am going to buy the Surface Pro--based on my ten days using Windows 8 on my Laptop...actually I decided to buy the Surface Pro based on the specifications-->that it can run full blown Win7 applications such as Office. Having migrated my laptop to Windows 8 confirms my decision. You are not alone.

To the OP, you really should play with the Mini. I spent a lot of time at Sam's Club where they had the iPad 4 and the MINI side by side and I thought that the MINI was easier to hold and equal to the 4's speed. The MINI resolution was very good--not as good as the 4 but by itself, the MINI's screen is very good.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't especially like the look of Windows 8, but I will upgrade if I buy the Surface pro, so that my laptop would be on 8, too. My husband has 8 on one of his machines and it doesn't look appealing. My Lenovo laptop is about six months old and is still on Win 7.

I rarely use the stylus on my Note, but I like having the option.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

We have similar backgrounds hardware-wise. I still have my Samsung UMPC...it has Win7 on it, even...I consider it a total piece of junk though. Never got much use out of that thing. I have two convertible tablet/laptops, a Dell Latitude XT and a Lenovo X220t. I have win8 on the Dell, but unlike you, I totally hate it. I'm just not warming up to Win8. I'm still trying, but as things stand now I'm thinking I will avoid it for some time to come unless.....

That Samsung Slate is cool. I heard the first run had issues...and it is a little more than I want to pay given my x220t is just a year old and still has excellent specs. What I need to move from it is an extremely light weight, long-battery life device with the right set of ports and a pen/digitizing screen. I would deal with Win8 if I get the portability aspects addressed and the pen. It's not as if I can't just set up some tiles to launch the apps I need when I need them. I'd be willing to do that for the right hardware, but I'm sticking with Win7 on all my other PCs (5 in total, not counting the laptops/umpc mentioned above and this old HP I have, a Sony i7 laptop, and a MacBook Air -- I get I need to toss something out :) ).

OP
D

dbbl21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played around with Windows 8 and it seems like it will be really nice for tablets and touch screen computers. I was thinking about upgrading my laptop since it's cheap.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am coming from the android world and this mini is my first apple device. I currently have a Huawei s7, an HP Touchpad, and 2 Asus tf300 Transformers with keyboard docks. As I get to know the iOS, I'm sure it will be a great device as it is very smooth and fast. I still use the transformers for daily job related issues ( I own a small trucking company) but am now considering a full size iPad as a replacement for work use. It's very hard for me to admit but the iPad is on par with the best that android has to offer. So far, I like everything about the mini but still have to get used to the interface. I'll be spending quite a bit of time on here in the forums learning this new system.

chuckf1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both a Nexus 7, the first tablet I ever bought, running Jelly Bean 4.2 but my jailbroken iPad Mini is my primary tablet, by far. The two OS's are obviously different from each other, but if you can learn one, you can learn the other, it's not that hard. Welcome to Land of Apple!

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, chuckf1. I guess the main issue I have is getting used to the lack of a back button on the iPad. The iOS is not difficult to learn and I have been working with Linux derivative operating systems for a number of years. I don't have a desire to jailbreak the iPad so I need to get familiar with the differences. The jump from UNIX to Linux was much harder than android to iOS. Having spent over 80 hours on the mini in the last 7 days, I'm getting used to how things work ( I have a lot of free time on my hands). I expect to be looking at app development for iOS before the end of the year. Coding for Linux and android should not be that much different.

Most reactions

Latest posts