Coming from Android tablet

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by dbbl21, Nov 18, 2012.

1. dbbl21

dbbl21
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone else is coming from an Android tablet and if so what has your experience been. I have had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for over a year now and while I do like it, I find that I really do not customize it at all (I customize my Galaxy Nexus frequently) it lags a lot lately and I really just want something different and a little smaller that I could use for web browsing, email and some games.

I recently went into Best Buy and played with the mini and fell in love. The size is exactly what I have been looking for and it just felt perfectly in my hands. After seeing my excitement my girlfriend surprised me and ordered me one this past Thursday (11-15-12). This will be my first Apple product (aside from the original ipod touch) so I am looking forward to it! The screen looked good enough for me and think it is a good trade off for the form factor. The Apple website says 2 weeks to process the order :/. I hope they hurry up! Has anyone else ordered one recently from Apple? Did it ship quicker than it said it would?

2. MrDoug

MrDoug
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You should like the Apple.. I have both the Apple and Nexus (android) .. both are great.. depends on what you like best.. for me, I like the experience and the fun of playing and learning both.. but if someone had a gun to my head and I had to choose one in 5 seconds.. I would pick BOTH.. :)
    Doug

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the iPad Forums! I'm sure you'll enjoy learning all you can about your new iPad when it arrives.

4. Threelions

Threelions
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have just sold my N7 after trialling both and both are great tablets but I decided to stick with my mini as its just easier to get what I want wise and although its a cliche Apple stuff just works. I had so much hassle setting up streaming from my PC on my Nexus but its just simple as installing Airplay on my Ipads(have 4th gen too). In the past I went for Android as I loved messing about with custom rooms and so on but now I just want something I can pick up and use.

You shouldn't have any major problems switching just getting used to a different interface is all you need to do.

5. dbbl21

dbbl21
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Doug I was considering the N7 before the mini was announced but the 7 inch tablets aren't quite big enough in my opinion.

Thanks scifan, I can't wait to get it.

Threelions - That's a big reason I'm switching to the iPad. I just want to be able to pick it up and it works and it's easy to use. Not that Android tablets are hard to use but like I said I'm not interested in customizing my tablet and flashing ROMs anymore. For my phone, I love changing the way it looks on a weekly basis and trying different ROMs, so I'm sticking with Android phones for now.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I currently have a mini, an iPad 3, a Nexus 7, a Kindle Fire, and a Acer Iconica Tab A500. I'm a fan of tablets. iOS is simple, so there should no problem. You have a touch so you know how iOS is...

I much perfer a 4:3 screen on a tablet and even monitor. The only time I want to see 16:9 or 16:10 is on a TV. For most everything other than movie watching, 4:3 works best.

iOS has the best selection of tablet apps. For me, the reason to own a tablet is to use apps and I have many (on both platforms, in fact). I do enjoy some of what Android has to offer, though, but I don't get upset that iOS doesn't have them. Some do and seem to want to drive iOS to be Android. I say if you want Android, get Android.

Androids seem to force you to customize a bit more than iOS does. I find I had to use folders on iOS though because I had so many apps that I could not find stuff. So, in the end I'm not sure if I see a lot of difference.

I really like the mini....I grab it over my iPad 3 at home just because it is so small. I grab it over the GN7 because of the 4:3 screen. If it had a retina display, it would be near perfect.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I've now got Samsung Galaxy Note phablet and two Kindle Fires (HD and original), along with three iPads. Thinking about getting a full-size Samsung tab next, but waiting till MS Surface pro debuts to decide. I want SD card support on a full-size tab. I buy only what works easily, and I will return anything that doesn't meet that bar. I like diff platforms for diff reasons. It's great to have choice.

My iPad 4 4G arrived 10 days ahead of schedule from Apple.com. Maybe they sold fewer than expected.

When I was at Target the weekend before last, they had iPad minis and iPad 4 wifi-only models in stock. If I wanted a mini, I'd call and see whether they still do, before trying to order online.

8. shEEEsh

shEEEsh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have owned windows tablets since FOREVER .. I had HP and Fujitsu laptop/tablets .. I had a couple of Sony UMPCs. I still have a 2 year old Lenovo laptop/tablet .. AND ... I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (the first one) the Samsung Note (the first one) plus the iPad 3, iPhone 4s and the iMini .. but my NUMBER 1 FAVORITE is the Samsung Slate 7, a gift from the Microsoft Developer Conference ..They still make the Slate 7 but mine has a slot for a Sim card. (never use it though) and some different hardware (don't know what) .. I love the handwriting recognition .. It is GREAT .. I wish Apple had REAL handwriting recognition where you could use a Wacom Pen Stylus rather than one that looks and feels like a broken crayon. I 'write' EVERYTHING on my Slate and it recognizes even my WORST script .. Pretty sure I will buy the Surface Pro when it comes out. I might be alone here but I really like Windows 8 ..

9. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    shEEEsh! You have a lot of stuff! I do not have that many devices. I am going to buy the Surface Pro--based on my ten days using Windows 8 on my Laptop...actually I decided to buy the Surface Pro based on the specifications-->that it can run full blown Win7 applications such as Office. Having migrated my laptop to Windows 8 confirms my decision. You are not alone.

To the OP, you really should play with the Mini. I spent a lot of time at Sam's Club where they had the iPad 4 and the MINI side by side and I thought that the MINI was easier to hold and equal to the 4's speed. The MINI resolution was very good--not as good as the 4 but by itself, the MINI's screen is very good.

#9 MattIM, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I don't especially like the look of Windows 8, but I will upgrade if I buy the Surface pro, so that my laptop would be on 8, too. My husband has 8 on one of his machines and it doesn't look appealing. My Lenovo laptop is about six months old and is still on Win 7.

I rarely use the stylus on my Note, but I like having the option.