What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any good keyboards you can download with arrow keys?

medic425

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When using my remote desktop connection it will run games smooth.Just trying to find a different keyboard for gaming on it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When using my remote desktop connection it will run games smooth.Just trying to find a different keyboard for gaming on it.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

It is not possible to replace the default keyboards on the iPad. While you can get keyboard apps, they effectively operate in an isolated environment as separate programs to they don't replace the iPad's default on-screen keyboard.

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

medic425

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about the external apple keyboard any thoughts on it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Apple Bluetooth keyboard or the keyboard dock?

I use a Bluetooth keyboard all the time - I have a folding one - and it's just great. Has all the arrow keys etc on it plus some dedicated iPad keys - for Home, Volume Up/Down etc.

Tim

OP
M

medic425

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I was talking about the Bluetooth one. Where did you get the folding one.

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So here I am typing away from my apple bluetooth keyboard and i actually think this thing makes me type so much faster.

the keys are awesome. i thought maybe the keyboard would be a bit different due to its dimensions (about 11 in * 5 in) but i'm plugging away as i would on a laptop or desktop keyboard.

definitely recommend!

Sent from Scooter, my White Verizon 32GB iPad2, using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several suggestions.

() Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard. Good feel. Light and compact without feeling cramped. Aluminum construction is very durable. Fits the Incase Origami Workstation that unfolds into an iPad stand. The combination is an alternative to the Zaggmate/Logitech (and some other) combo case, allowing the iPad to be used with or without the keyboard.

() Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard. Excellent feel. Ergonomically curved and slightly wider than the Apple. Separate number pad available. Significantly less expensive than the Apple keyboard ($30-$45). Plastic frame but very durable. Flat and easy to pack but cannot be used with the Incase OW or any other combo stand/keyboard case as far as I know. If that doesn't matter, it's actually superior to the Apple in terms of feel and ergonomics, imo, of course. And at $30 for the version without a separate 10 key number pad, it's a very good deal.

() HP Touchpad Wireless Keyboard. This is the new keyboard introduced with the HP Touchpad Tablet. Similar in looks/design to the Apple keyboard but available in black rather than the Apple's aluminum/white. Same price as the Apple ($55-$60). Works with iPad flawlessly (according to the review below.)

MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Discussion: Tablet Keyboard Review: HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard Review

None of these keyboards have iPad-specific keys such as "Home" (including oddly, the Apple keyboard.) However, all should support arrow keys in applications that provide that functionality. (Can't verify for the HP, but I have each of the other two and I suspect it's the same for the HP.) And each supports audio and brightness control.

I'm not a big fan of "folding" keyboards. I've found in the past that they don't hold up to extensive use and don't have the same feel as the options above. But YMMV, especially if you're not as picky about a keyboard's feel as I am and don't use it as much as I do.

You may also prefer a combination case/keyboard (e.g. Zaggmate). I don't simply because it means I must always carry a keyboard with the iPad and I can't move the keyboard away from the screen. Again, YMMV.

The Microsoft Keyboard (both versions) is available from Amazon and buy.com. Both the Apple and the HP are available from Amazon. The Apple can, of course, be purchased from Apple and I suspect the HP can be purchased online from HP. Haven't checked.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you have to buy a bluetooth keyboatd.

I use a regular USB keyboard plugged into the iPad via the camera connector kit. The popup window will appear complaining about the device not being supported, but click it away and then you can type as normal.

It doesn't on -every- USB keyboard (mainly because of power requirements through the USB) so you may have to try a few by trial-and-error.

Most reactions

Latest posts