What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exceptional keyboard for the iPad from guess who?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was hoping to use the Apple iPad keyboard dock as my way of charging and synching my device, but it's not possible to use the dock without removing the iPad from the Apple microfiber case. Since the keyboard dock isn't of any use to me, and since I still wanted to be able to use a keyboard on occasion with my iPad, I started looking for a Bluetooth keyboard that matched the iPad in form and function.

Imagine my amusement when I found the Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000. Not only does the keyboard work, but the media control keys (volume up, down, and mute) can be used to control your music while you're typing away in Pages, or Notepad.

I'm writing this in Pages, and I'm able to jump from head to end of sentences with Control+Left Arrow and Control+Right Arrow. Control+Up Arrow takes me to the beginning of the document, and the Down Arrow jumps to the end. Holding down the Shift key allows the arrow keys to select characters and lines. The Tab key inserts a tab, as expected, and the CAPSLOCK works as well. Using the Windows key and V inserts from the clipboard, and Windows+Z is UNDO. I guess I'm going to have to learn the Apple Key shortcuts...

Best of all, I found the keyboard, in stock, at the local Staples for $50.00. It's smaller and lighter than the Apple keyboard, and looks better alongside the iPad (it's black with silver accents).

The (seperate) numeric keypad does pair with the iPad, but when I tried pairing both it seemed that adding the keypad disconnected the keyboard. I'll probably experiment with that later on, but right now I'm just happy that I've found a perfect way to use my iPad in place of my NetBook. No reason to carry that anymore.

Microsoft Unveils Company?s Thinnest Keyboard, Designed Exclusively for Bluetooth Computers: New keyboard features stand-alone Bluetooth Number Pad for productivity on the go.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thrilled about this, heading to staples tomorrow! I love the fact that I can walk in a local store and buy something like that. I order the majority of everything but groceries, but we all need a compulsive buy sometimes to brighten a gloomy day.

RobertBasil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robertbasil.com
Not a big surprise at all. Microsoft has always made quality keyboards and mice. In fact, I use a Microsoft keyboard and mouse with my Macbook Pro when I am in my office at work.

AngelSpeedfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know if you get both the keyboard and number pad to work at the same time.

I always use my iPad in landscape so the iPad dock doesn't apeal to me at all. The wireless apple keyboard doesn't have the number pad so this could be a great combo to use.

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip but I got a Wireless Keyboard from Apple for free when my shipment was delayed. It should arrive anytime next week. I was in Staples today getting my son's laptop fixed. I could have checked it out while waiting.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just twice as the iPad as i can judge from the picture … but MS always do amazing keyboard and mice …. (never buy one but use it time to time)

OP
U

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The keyboard is just a bit wider than the iPad. Basically everything to the right of the F12 and Enter keys.

It's light as a feather too, and thinner in front than the AAA batteries that load into the top of it.

UncleDannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had 'heard' that folding keyboards, like the iGo Bluetooth work on an iPad. Does anyone know if that is true? Does any other of the compact foldable BT Keyboards work?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup. I have the same keyboard. Same store, same price. Although I thought it had a sale tag on the shelf, and regular price was $90, on sale for $50.

Either way, I like it too! I like how the power switch is small and recessed. I read reviews that the Apple keyboard would accidentally turn on because of the placement/ease of pressing the button (it at the edge of keyboard, not recessed, and easy to press)...and people were inadvertently draining their battery or even worse, got locked out of their iPad for an hour because keys were being pressed and the iPad thought someone was entering incorrect passcodes. Everytime it thought passcodes were being entered, the reviewer got a message on his iPad saying he was locked out for 10 min at first, then eventually for a whole hour.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
looks good, nice and thin, but doesnt fold up.. oh well, 50 bucks is great price too.. I just wish they made a keyboard with a trackball that worked w/ ipad..

i may wait to get the folding keybaords when I really need it..

but are you really gonna carry that big keyboard around with you along with the ipad? Maybe good from home, but I think you would look foolish if you set that thing set up at a starbucks.. i dunno, maybe not...

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me, the keyboard is for home if I feel like typing at a desk and the virtual keyboard is for outside the home (e.g. Starbucks).

Although I have no current need to type pages at a time, so the keyboard just sits there.

Most reactions

Latest posts