What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I missing the obvious?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While on the iPad, when I want to quote someone in a post, I hit the quote button, but then the iPad has no way to scroll down to the end of their post in the little box and out of their post to type my post.

Please tell me this makes some sense? I can quote people's posts fine on my desktop, but not on my iPad.

I swear this just doesn't happen to blondes in Cali.:eek:

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate that aspect of the ipad also... and posted about this earlier.... basically no GOOD intuitive way to nav a text box. There is a way that sorta works sometimes, but it is pretty unreliable in my hands. It involves planting one finger in one part of the text box and swiping with another finger. It works about 25% of the time for me... not much better than cursor placement, which is also very iffy.

I really want good ol fashion arrow keys... doing Telnet is awful without them as well...

Tabhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While on the iPad, when I want to quote someone in a post, I hit the quote button, but then the iPad has no way to scroll down to the end of their post in the little box and out of their post to type my post.

Please tell me this makes some sense? I can quote people's posts fine on my desktop, but not on my iPad.

I agree.

Easier to check forum and respond from MacBookPro. I, too,will await the answer. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Balibe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Put your finger in the text box until the retina [magnifying glass] comes up. Then move you finger down, it will scroll down thru text and get to the end.

Tabhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Put your finger in the text box until the retina [magnifying glass] comes up. Then move you finger down, it will scroll down thru text and get to the end.

Whoa..hmmmm. that isn't exactly what I mean and that is not exactly what happens. I don't get the full quote ..I try to crop some of it and the end quote just drops off.

I guess it will stick to MacBookPro for commenting in forum. Can't spend so much time scrolling and then losing 1/2 of it. And I never know what I have included until it is posted.

But that doesn't mean I am bashing the iPad. It just means I am a slow learner!

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Tabhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you.

Last edited:

ravynshadow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I am understanding your question to scroll in a box you use two fingers in the box you want to scroll in. One finger will scroll the web page and two fingers next to each other and swipe up and down in the text box will move only the content in the box. It does take some practice until you get the hang of it, I also will use both thumbs one on each side and move them up and down at the same time.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I am understanding your question to scroll in a box you use two fingers in the box you want to scroll in. One finger will scroll the web page and two fingers next to each other and swipe up and down in the text box will move only the content in the box. It does take some practice until you get the hang of it, I also will use both thumbs one on each side and move them up and down at the same time.

Yep. Inside the text box, use 2 fingers together to scroll. Make sure your fingers are inside the box. It sometimes makes it easier if you enlarge (zoom) the page sometimes.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Okay! I use that magnifying glass in Pages, but didn't know I could conjure it up here.

Thanks!

ravynshadow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also didn't realize how to scroll text boxes when I first got my iPad but it worked out good I did a search and that's how I came across this site so it worked out great. I found a great site and learned how to scroll plus many more ineresting things since joining.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never used the extended keyboards, but i think they allow you to used keyboard functions as if you were on a MacBook or laptop. :confused:

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not had the need to even try this. Lately, when I quote someone to reply, the end of their post is there, so there has not been a need to have to scroll down.

Wonder if I am losin it, or they fixed it!:D

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's another way too. At the right corner of a reply box there are two arrows. The lower one makes the box longer with each tap. Just do it until you see the whole of the text.

Another trick is to go near the end and click the return button a dozen times and then the erase last button the same number of times. That will bring you a dozen of those hidden lines.

Most reactions

Latest posts