What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All my email now goes to my iPad...why?

PaintedPostDave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a two-day old iPad user. When I set my iPad up I apparently chose to have my email go to the iPad rather than my PC where it had been going. Now, I do not receive email on my PC anymore. Is there a way to have the emails go to both places? I have tried going to "settings" but without success.

Thanks,

Dave

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a setting to remove mail from the server on the iPad? Normally there is this option, but I don't use my iPhone/iPad mail apps to read Gmail, just the laptop so I can't say for sure, but if there is then turn it off.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a two-day old iPad user. When I set my iPad up I apparently chose to have my email go to the iPad rather than my PC where it had been going. Now, I do not receive email on my PC anymore. Is there a way to have the emails go to both places? I have tried going to "settings" but without success.

Thanks,

Dave

What type of Mail account are you using - IMAP or POP?

Generally, the iPad is a mirror that really only reflects on the server. Depending on the type of e-mail you,have, however, you can set up the account(s) to delete mail from the server when downloaded or deleted from the iPad.

Once we know the type of e-mail, we should be able to help figure this out. Hopefully... :)

Marilyn

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a setting to remove mail from the server on the iPad? Normally there is this option, but I don't use my iPhone/iPad mail apps to read Gmail, just the laptop so I can't say for sure, but if there is then turn it off.

What I meant was a setting on the iPad for deleting mail on the server after downloading onto the device

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What I meant was a setting on the iPad for deleting mail on the server after downloading onto the device
If the account is POP, you can turn on/off delete-after-download in the account's advanced settings. This option is not available in other account types, because they are syncing your mail with the server, not just downloading.

Last edited:
OP
P

PaintedPostDave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What type of Mail account are you using - IMAP or POP?

Generally, the iPad is a mirror that really only reflects on the server. Depending on the type of e-mail you,have, however, you can set up the account(s) to delete mail from the server when downloaded or deleted from the iPad.

Once we know the type of e-mail, we should be able to help figure this out. Hopefully... :)

Marilyn

I have roadrunner Webmail. For some reason my email only shows up on my iPad. My PC shows no email. Thanks for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have roadrunner Webmail. For some reason my email only shows up on my iPad. My PC shows no email. Thanks for your help.

RoadRunner seems to be owned by TWC, and uses their servers. If this is the case then the account is a POP account.

POP accounts are very simple. They were created before people were likely to own more than one computer or device. Instead of maintaining folder, inboxes, or your mail on the server, the account simply has a pile of your email. When your device or computer accesses the account the email is downloaded to that device or computer. The POP server then does one of two things. It keeps the email (though it will 'probably' be invisible to the device that downloaded it), or it deletes the email from the server.

If you typically use the iPad to get your email, and it is set to delete after downloading, then your computer will never get those emails.

To change this go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; and select your account. You'll need to drill down until you find the setting that tuns on/off the delete-after-download option. I can't give you specific instructions, because I don't have any POP accounts, but tapping around on various things should get you there eventually. Be sure to tap on your actual email address, as that usually leads to the the Advanced settings.

What you don't want to do is turn off the delete-after-download on all your devices/computers. Most POP accounts have limited storage space, and you'll eventually lock the account up. So if you do most of your email checking on the iPad, then dig into your computer's account settings and run the delete-after-download there. Just remember that once you download the email on the computer it will no longer be available for the iPad to download.

Also, neither device will stay synced. The iPad will have no idea what emails you've read, deleted, or otherwise molested on the computer, and vice versa. This is the nature of POP accounts.

In the end POP is just a lousy choice for most people who have and use multiple computers and devices. I heavily recommend getting another email account that is not associated with your ISP and is IMAP or Exchange based. Gmail, iCloud, Hotmail, and Yahoo are the most obvious choices, but there are others.

There are two main reasons for this.

One: Your email will stay synced across all devices and computers. No need to wonder what email ended up on what device and in what folder.

Two: If you ever change your ISP (Internet Service Provider), for whatever reason, you lose that email address. Since email addresses are also used as usernames (Apple ID), notification messages (expiration of service notices, bills, etc.), and in some cases security confirmation (confirmation emails); changing your ISP becomes a major chore of hunting down everywhere you've used that address and updating. Forgetting can result in anything from missing important emails to losing access to other accounts (because you can reply to a confirmation email).

Better to switch now, while you can control the situation and catch anything that you missed over a period of months or even years.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it, and the advice you'll get from many others who have experienced the pain of having to switch ISPs.

Good Luck.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add to twerppoet's excellent post: I have a Roadrunner account and it's exactly as he says - a pain to use on the iPad (or any more than one device).

To do the minimum (stop the Roadrunner emails from being deleted after downloading to the iPad), go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" tab and tap on your Roadrunner mail account. Once there, scroll down to find and tap on the "Advanced" tab. Then, look for the section titled "Incoming Settings," locate the line "Delete from server" and press it.

You will see you have three options: (1) Never, (2) Seven days and (3) When removed from inbox. If you check "Never," you'll still be able to download the Roadrunner emails to another computer.

Again, it'll be as twerppoet says - the accounts on your differing devices (e.g. the iPad and a computer) will not sync. Reading an e-mail on the iPad will not mark it as read on the computer and vice versa. Also, if you send an e-mail, the copy of sent mail will only be on the device used. Oh, and yes, you will have to continually go to the Roadrunner web portal to delete mails.

So, yeah, using POP mail is a pain. in my case, I have used Roadrunner for years, long before I got an iPad and it is too integrated in my online activities. But, if you have no choice ...

What I've done is set up a Gmail account and then set my Roadrunner account up to forward all mail tot jato Gmail account (I also have it set to delete from the server after forwarding). Doing this makes it so I CAN continue to use my POP Roadrunner account - but it acts like an Exchange/IMAP account. Therefore, mail can be/will sync across all devices.

I hope this makes sense. :) It works for me and I don't have to change my Roadrunner information. I will, eventually, but this'll do ... for now.

Marilyn

Most reactions