What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air print from iOs4.2 final vs. iOs4.2 GM

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read that apple has removed all references for airprint to print via a PC. If this means that printing via wifi connected PC won't work, then I just "miss-invested" money into the iwork apps. The only reason why I bought pages and numbers was the outlook to print via wifi.

Now to my question:
Does GM support airprint and if so, will GM expire at some date like the other betas?

I think that I'd rather be able to print from my iPad rather than having the last polish on the OS with the final release but without printing capability.

:confused:

bookemdano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No what he's talking about is the rumor that Apple has removed the ability to print using AirPrint to any printer via a Mac or PC (running the latest versions of OS X and ITunes). As the rumor goes, the only way to use AirPrint will be printing to one of a handful of newly-released HP printers, which natively support AirPrint.

That's a non-starter for many/most of us--who already have significant investments in other printers.

Supposedly the most recent betas of OS X 10.6.5 and ITunes 10.1 had this feature still included, and people have tested it with the GM release of iOS 4.2, but supposedly the official releases of OS X and ITunes will have the feature removed.

My suspicion is that the official iOS 4.2 will still have the functionality, such that if you can obtain the beta OS X 10.6.5 or ITunes 10.1 then you can still use Airprint via your Mac/PC. But that's just a guess. And who knows if this rumor will turn out to be true anyway. We should find out here in about an hour though (if the 10am release of 10.6.5 and Itunes 10.1 pan out).

If the functionality was removed though, consider me extremely disappointed. Being able to print from my iPhone and iPad to my existing printers was the one feature (aside from multitasking and folders) that I was most looking forward to.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While that is lame, I already bought an Envy 100 in preparation for 4.2...so I'm all good.

OP
Mike_73

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't clear with my statement. But what you all wrote is exactly what I was referring to.

Like I said, if they'd pull airprint from the final release, I'd rather go with GM if there's no expiration date.

spawnman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So all this talk of wifi printing never meant that I would be able to print from my iPad through my wireless router to my printer that is on the network? Had it always meant that I could only print to a printer that is connected to a computer and that computer would have to be turned on? What a waste if that is true.

OP
Mike_73

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may be a waste, but consider having a computer and a printer hooked to that PC anyways. Would you really want to have to invest in another printer just for printing from the iPad?

I don't have my PC running all the times, and my printer is hooked up less often than my PC, but still, I'd prefer to print directly from the iPad rather than pulling a document from the iPad via iTunes to my printer.

I know I can just use my PC to set up a document and print it from there, but now that I have the iPad and word processing capabilities, I think it should also be possible to use a printer directly from the iPad.

I've read yesterday too, that apple supposedly pulled some of airprint's capabilities just because they had to adjust drivers to the new printers rolling out for the Holidays which could be the cause for the hic ups with "regular" printers hooked up to PCs. Well, I don't care about HP or any other company selling more printers. I don't want a 2nd printer. I just want to be able to print on the one I allready have.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So all this talk of wifi printing never meant that I would be able to print from my iPad through my wireless router to my printer that is on the network? Had it always meant that I could only print to a printer that is connected to a computer and that computer would have to be turned on? What a waste if that is true.

No, actually it means you have to have a wireless printer that isn't physically connected to any computer.

donnybrook21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
printer

actually there are apps for a reasonable price for wireless printing
i print now from the ipad

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

No, actually it means you have to have a wireless printer that isn't physically connected to any computer.

Hm, my understanding was that these were both true. But it was removed (or we can't find it) in the GM. I suspect that there may be an iTunes dependency for the feature, and because it isn't in iTunes yet, it isn't visible (or enabled) yet.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hm, my understanding was that these were both true. But it was removed (or we can't find it) in the GM. I suspect that there may be an iTunes dependency for the feature, and because it isn't in iTunes yet, it isn't visible (or enabled) yet.

What is supposedly removed (and the only evidence is that its not yet mentioned in the OSX release) is the ability to use a printer on the network thru windows or mac. Wireless printers such as the HP wifi printers will work.

And this is still all just rumor with nothing at all substantiating it!

Most reactions

Latest posts