What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

" Print n Share" app and iOS5 --- RIP?

Globalpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Below is the feedback from app producer:

Apple's latest release of iOS 5 has changed the way apps are able to interact with the device. This now means that the one of the printing features in this app for printing from other apps via the AirPrint method is no longer available. Apple's changes for iOS have removed this functionality for all apps - not just ours. All other printing options from other apps via this app are still available and you can still continue to use your existing printer(s).

iOS Apps are restricted by features of the OS and the device so there is no option to bypass the iOS restrictions. We are working with Apple resources to see if there is a way to restore this particular feature in future releases.

We invest a huge amount of our resources in the ongoing development of our apps to ensure our apps provide the most possible printing features for Apple devices. While we are obviously very disappointed that Apple have removed this feature of iOS, our apps were still the best printing apps on the App Store before this feature as we have so many other printing features.

Our staff have been working overtime to evaluate this iOS change. While it is devastating for them to lose one of the app features that everyone put so much time and effort into, we all remain committed to providing the best permissible improvements to our apps for our customers, as we have done in the past.

All of the other printing options are still available such as "Open in", server printing, internal email, iWorks via iwork.com, internal browser, Safari via "zhttp:" etc.

This page describes printing emails from inside this App:
http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help.html#email

This is the Web page printing help:
http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help.html#webprint1

This help page describes printing from Pages/Numbers:
http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help.html#iworkprint

Please reply with your feedback to this email. As innovators in iPad and iPhone printing, we would like to hear from all customers directly to make sure our apps continue to lead the market with cutting edge features

Please let us know if we can provide further assistance.

Regards,

UNQUOTE
EuroSmartz Support

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got the same message. I have been told that Printer Pro still works. If true, how do they do it?

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
G

Globalpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike

Interesting, because is that not by the same app producer. Maybe someone else has experience and can feedback before we spend out.

Cheers

Globalpad

Johnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried Printer Pro and it does not print using Airprint at all (it never has done!). I am still using Print n Share, okay so the AirPrint thing has gone but it still works great with open in and other ways. Besides it has the best support for loads of printers I use everyday so is still the best app.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Johnn said:
I have tried Printer Pro and it does not print using Airprint at all (it never has done!). I am still using Print n Share, okay so the AirPrint thing has gone but it still works great with open in and other ways. Besides it has the best support for loads of printers I use everyday so is still the best app.

Thank you for the information. I agree, I have not found anything better.

BTW, I have tried using their internal browser. I have yet to find out what the X is suppose to do. Also, I have not been able to find a way to clear the web page before leaving the Web tab.

Regards,

Mike

donbd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another printing app that works great with iOS 5

I've been a big fan of Print N Share, but found that it currently doesn't work with iOS 5.

However I have found a printing app that works great for me in iOS 5.

It's called FingerPrint by Collobos software. It installs on a PC or a Mac on your home wireless network and makes your printer appear as an AirPrint printer in any iOS 5 (or earlier) device.

No app is required on the iOS device since it makes virtually printer function like an AirPrint printer through the PC or Mac.

Hope this helps.

Don

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Takeshi. The upgrade still doesn't solve the printing issue people have pointed out. There are still complaints about it after people have upgraded to the latest version. Print N Share is still missing the greater share of its usefulness.

Sent from a classified location.

OP
G

Globalpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I started this thread to provide information to existing and potential new users of Print n Share. With the latest version P nS now on board and no resolution to the direct printing problem I feel it is time put pressure on Apple to come up with a solution. Yes, Apple as I considers it is there original design and subsequent changes that leave probably thousands of users in limbo regarding print functionality.

Clearly it is unreasonable to expect everybody to purchase a new compatible printer at the same time when buying the iPad and conversely it is unreasonable to expect Apple to provide a vast array of built-in printer drivers so what to do about this impasse.

What I would like to see is the Moderators of this forum (kindly) prepare a survey, to be sent to all IPF members, primarily to determine :

1) How many users have Non Compatible Printers
2) How many user of (1) would like to have direct printing from the iPad, albeit via apps like P n S.
3) etc etc.

Possibly with sufficient support we could change things - what do you think?

Cheers

Globalpad

mattoons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate pioneering comments & find that months later Print n Share continues to give same polite delay messages while Apple support continues to suggest use of AirPrint devices, neither of which are practical solutions. I'll try workaround products rather than wait for weeks to again use a printer on my new IPad 2. I don't plan to invest much time in Apple adventures when I can find more reliable apps in MS Win on my laptop. Do any of you have better news since July postings?

OP
G

Globalpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mattoons

The quick answer to your post is no! You may wish to read the extensive thread in Apple Communities Forum re iOS 5 killed Print n Share. With the passing of the first update to iOS 5 (5.0.1) and a couple of updates for P n S, no change.

I have been looking for ways round this by using Atomic as a browser ( which in my opinion is far superior to Safari) this offers potential in the next update soon. However Safari remains the default browser which cannot be changed (non JB device) something Microsoft suffered legal challenges over, finally agreeing to offer alternatives as default - Apple appear to be getting away with this !

Interestingly as an aside Notetaker HD has no printing restrictions allowing Open In functionality to P n S and HP ePrint etc so from this app one can print under iOS 5 !!

To overcome my general printing problem I now run my laptop (Win XP) with Fingerprint loaded a $10 prog which uses Bonjour service and this works well as a fix.

Cheers Globalpad

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the PnS internal web browser, email account feature, and clipboard feature as a workaround. I can print web pages, emails, and clipboard contents directly from PnS.

Also, some apps have an Open In ... Option to PnS as well.

HTHs

Mike

OP
G

Globalpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mike

Yes agreed that is an option but I did consider the P nS browser and email client to be a bit basic - maybe with future improvements this could be the only way forward.

Have you found a way round printing from "Pages" directly ?

Cheers

Globalpad

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Much that I understand your issue however we are a private forum and not associated with Apple. It is up to the developers to sort out these issues not us. Technologies change all the time and air print is now the main stream. If you have issues I suggest to try Apple's community forums for your request. Developers are working very close to Apple modifying and creating specialized apps and I am sure they will find a solution that is beneficial to all. In the world of IT it is not unusual for this to happen. A prime example is the Parrot integrated hands free system for phones. When Apple upgraded to ios5 nothing worked until a new release from parrot supporting the upgrade. This issue applies across all platforms regardless of manufacture and unfortunately it some times takes months to resolve

Most reactions

Latest posts