What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affinity Photo for Ipad

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has posted in this forum about this app--which finally became available. I'm a long long time user of Photo apps on Windows and then on Mac OS but I've come to love the Ipad for use with photography. I've waited for this app because I like using the Pencil on the 12.9 Ipad Pro in various photo apps or Astropad in conjunction with my Macbook/PS or LR (I have used large Wacom graphic apps for years). Affinity took me a bit to adjust to its ways of using tools and menus but I really do like it, am working on a workflow (to eventually upload to external drives via Macbook). Its a very well done photo app and if I work out other things besides the processing will likely drop my Adobe CC for PHotoshop and Lightroom. Its well worth the price (not sure if its still $20 on sale or the full $30 now) if you do process your own photos from RAW or jpeg. They have a well done group of tutes for the Ipad version and once you feel comfortable with the tools you can use the very large group of tutes for the Mac version and relate them to the Ipad tools. Printing from the app is problematical I understand--I don't print too much any more and Lightroom had an outstanding method for printing with my big Epson but if you do, expect to export in order to print.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick review.

I've heard good things about Affinity Photo, but haven't needed anything beyond what I get from the Photos app. Not lately anyway. My interest and activity with photography goes through cycles, and right now I'm in casual opportunity mode rather than active persuit. When my interst peaks again, I'll probalby take a closer look at Affinity.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick review.

I've heard good things about Affinity Photo, but haven't needed anything beyond what I get from the Photos app. Not lately anyway. My interest and activity with photography goes through cycles, and right now I'm in casual opportunity mode rather than active persuit. When my interst peaks again, I'll probalby take a closer look at Affinity.

Thanks Diane for the review on Affinity Photo for iOS - I have their macOS app on both of my laptops (a $50 purchase) and bought because of excellent reviews and comments from several posters on the Mac Forums; however, I've not gotten into the program much at all (kind of feel like TP above, i.e. I seem to be in a non-photo phase relative to computer use) - BUT, the app that I've liked and used on my iPad for more complex photo editing is Photoshop Touch, which is no longer in the App Store and will not work on the next iOS upgrade - but, $29 is rather steep for the Affinity offering, which may not see much activity in my hands?

However, for others wanting a more 'sophisticated' photo editor for the iPad, then would certainly be a consideration in my mind - also, Affinity has a forum (pic below) for those w/ questions (just asked whether I could get a discount owning the macOS app?). Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Seems to be no iPad app discount if you own the macOS version - a future sale and discount is likely still a possibility?
Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 5.34.22 PM.png

Last edited:

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be downloading some app to edit my RAW photos. Lightroom free trial is active, the pricing of creative cloud clubbed with Lightroom by adobe is too high. I guess, I would go for Affinity photo eventually.

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Affinity Photo and actually bought the 10.5 inch iPad Pro 512 GB and Apple Pencil just to be able to use it. I have PS CS6 Stand Alone (Refuse to pay Adobes ridiculous subscription mode) , first on an iMac and now on an HP, and use a Wacom wireless tablet with it. But I don’t particularly like working at the desk for any length of time. Affinity Photo seems to me to have about 99% of the functionality of PS and that’s good enough for me. I only wish there was an actual book available for the program like so many available for PS. Kind of hard to view the online tutorials while trying to work with the program! Yes..I know they publish an Affinity Photo Workbook, but it is geared to the desktop versions and does not translate well to the IOS workspace.
Unkei

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Affinity Photo and actually bought the 10.5 inch iPad Pro 512 GB and Apple Pencil just to be able to use it. I have PS CS6 Stand Alone (Refuse to pay Adobes ridiculous subscription mode) , first on an iMac and now on an HP, and use a Wacom wireless tablet with it. But I don’t particularly like working at the desk for any length of time. Affinity Photo seems to me to have about 99% of the functionality of PS and that’s good enough for me. I only wish there was an actual book available for the program like so many available for PS. Kind of hard to view the online tutorials while trying to work with the program! Yes..I know they publish an Affinity Photo Workbook, but it is geared to the desktop versions and does not translate well to the IOS workspace.
Unkei
If you have another iPad you could view the online tutorial on that iPad while using Affinity Photo on your iPad Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts