What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few Questions From a New iPad User

LeeB28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have a iPhone 8+ and have had iPhone ever since Flip Phones left me Flat (Like Disco) However I am not Proficient by any means at it's use.
We will be using the iPad mostly for traveling.

What iPad do I have? iPad1, iPad2, or iPad3... I have a iPad (7th Generation)
Is there a back button? (I have always used a HP Laptop) for example; Say I am at a web site and there is a clickable link and I click on it can I go back once I'm done looking at what the Link says?...
Is there away to save a route I make in Map? I used Streets and Trips from Microsoft for years but it has been discontinued...

Thanks so much for your time and effort answering my questions.. LeeB28

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1) I’m guessing you’re asking about what iPad you have because there are forums named iPad1, iPad2, etc. These were created when the first few iPad models came out. Eventually the forum gave up creating a new forum area for each iPad generation. At this point, unless you have a question that depends on the model iPad you use, it is probably best to put it in iPad General Discussions if it does not fit anywhere else. If it does depend on the model, and there is no specific forum for it, again, iPad General Discussions.

Most of us read new posts in all the sections anyway, so it will get seen.

2) At the top left of the screen, in the tool bar, there should be a back arrow. If it is blue (not greyed out) tap it to go to the previous site/page. Long tapping it will give you a list of previous pages, so you can go back further if you like. Alternatively, if you tap-hold on a link you’ll get the option to open it in a new tab, or Window. This is handy if you’re likely to keep going back to the original site over and over again.

3) You can’t save routes in the Apple Maps, app. But you can favorite locations. To generate a route from where you are to the favorite location is just a few taps. There are third party navigation apps that will let you plan a route (actually pick roads, stops, etc) and save them. Some of them even work without an internet connection; though not free. Trip planning apps are also available.

Google maps has similar capabilities and limitations to Apple’s map app.

Something else you can do on the iPad is ask Siri to navigate to a location. As long as it’s in your Contacts, you can say something like “Give me directions to Bob’s home.” This is handier on the phone and watch than the iPad, but still kind of neat.

OP
L

LeeB28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you twerppoet so much for the response. I do not know how to say Thank you on here... I am off to work my part time job but you can be sure i'll read your post closer when i get home...

LeeB28

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Lee, as twerppoet says Apple Maps doesn’t let you save routes, however Google Maps will.

When I want to plan a route, I first plan it using Google Maps, and include any waypoints (stops) that I need, and then use the ‘save’ option to save the route to the iPad’s ‘Notes’ app in a separate ‘Routes’ folder. This has the added advantage, if you use iCloud, that it will be automatically distributed to all your other devices, such as iphone etc.

To recall the route, it’s a simple job to click the link within the note, and it will automatically open up in Google Maps.
Where I find this especially handy is pre-planning a route on my iPad, and then when I’m in my car, and connected to Carplay, I just click the link in my ‘Notes’ app and it gets opened on Google Maps in Carplay automatically.
And if you don’t have Carplay, just continue the route on your phone.

OP
L

LeeB28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again for the in-dep response's

LeeB7

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lee, as twerppoet says Apple Maps doesn’t let you save routes, however Google Maps will.

When I want to plan a route, I first plan it using Google Maps, and include any waypoints (stops) that I need, and then use the ‘save’ option to save the route to the iPad’s ‘Notes’ app in a separate ‘Routes’ folder. This has the added advantage, if you use iCloud, that it will be automatically distributed to all your other devices, such as iphone etc.

To recall the route, it’s a simple job to click the link within the note, and it will automatically open up in Google Maps.
Where I find this especially handy is pre-planning a route on my iPad, and then when I’m in my car, and connected to Carplay, I just click the link in my ‘Notes’ app and it gets opened on Google Maps in Carplay automatically.
And if you don’t have Carplay, just continue the route on your phone.

Thanks, Aerofly. This might be what I need for my Travel Diary. I was looking for an app and haven’t found one.

Most reactions

Latest posts