What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8P to 30P Adapter ...

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought I’d asked this previously but couldn’t find it so please forgive me for asking again.

I like the 8p to 30p adapter for my iPad cord. I keep it plugged in all the time and have broken several at the 8p cord connector.

I’m thinking of getting a six foot 30p usb cord. Obviously the 8p cord is obsolete and the adapter has the 8p connector for the iPad. The six foot 30p cord goes into the adapter and plugs into a usb wall plug adapter.

Apple doesn’t sell the adapter so I looked on Amazon. Many have bad ratings for longevity or just don’t work. I found one with good reviews and found the cord, too.

Before I buy these, I need to know if anyone has recommendations for the 8p to 30p adapter aside from amazon? Something that you have used for this perhaps.

Thank you. I’m unplugged right now and feel weird!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 8 pin or Lightning to USB cord is not obsolete as it’s the cord supplied with all current iOS devices with the exception of the newer iPad Pro models. I’d just buy a Lightning cable and not have to worry about adaptors.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The 8 pin or Lightning to USB cord is not obsolete as it’s the cord supplied with all current iOS devices with the exception of the newer iPad Pro models. I’d just buy a Lightning cable and not have to worry about adaptors.

Thank you. I meant obsolete if I used the adapter.

I don’t want to use the cable with the end snapping and breaking. That’s why the adapter can protect me

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I thought I’d asked this previously but couldn’t find it so please forgive me for asking again.

I like the 8p to 30p adapter for my iPad cord. I keep it plugged in all the time and have broken several at the 8p cord connector............................

Hi Pknkipad. - here is your previous THREAD where you asked the same question - many of us responded that there was no need to consider the 'obsolete' 30-pin adapter - your new iPad uses the 8-pin lightning adapter - thus, you no longer have to discuss the 30-pin devices, unless you have to attach your new iPad to some old device such as a radio, like the old Sangean I had my 30-pin iPod Touch attached to which held all of my music. Do you have such a need? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.35.36 PM.png

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Pknkipad. - here is your previous THREAD where you asked the same question - many of us responded that there was no need to consider the 'obsolete' 30-pin adapter - your new iPad uses the 8-pin lightning adapter - thus, you no longer have to discuss the 30-pin devices, unless you have to attach your new iPad to some old device such as a radio, like the old Sangean I had my 30-pin iPod Touch attached to which held all of my music. Do you have such a need? Dave :)
View attachment 89323

uh, no, no need, Dave . But the end will break and then I’ll have to order another cord. Did you have a solution for keeping the cord from bending and fraying the wires?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
uh, no, no need, Dave . But the end will break and then I’ll have to order another cord. Did you have a solution for keeping the cord from bending and fraying the wires?

The sturdier, longer cord you already ordered should do that.

Hi Pinkipad. - have to agree w/ TP, i.e. the 8-pin adapter is plenty sturdy - wife and I have been using them for 5 years or so and we've never had one fray or break - sometimes a few have stopped working for whatever reason, but simply replaced. Let me ask if you have had an experience w/ the lightning adapter 'breaking'? Dave :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Pinkipad. - have to agree w/ TP, i.e. the 8-pin adapter is plenty sturdy - wife and I have been using them for 5 years or so and we've never had one fray or break - sometimes a few have stopped working for whatever reason, but simply replaced. Let me ask if you have had an experience w/ the lightning adapter 'breaking'? Dave :)

Thank you both. I’m not in a normal usage situation. Briefly I’m in bed and the cord plugs into the strip outlet behind my bed. It has to go around the bed frame for fire drill reasons. So it pulls even with me using the six foot cord.

I need the protection at the connection point so it won’t break if I pull it across my lap without grabbing the wire first

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve merged the new thread which you started on the subject of the 8P to 30 P adapter to the existing thread you started earlier. This will avoid the confusion of having multiple threads on the same subject.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How about a short electric extension cord to move the power supply closer to the head of the bed?

Outlet —— Strip —— elect cord —— power supply —— USB-A/Lighting —— iPad.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about a short electric extension cord to move the power supply closer to the head of the bed?

Outlet —— Strip —— elect cord —— power supply —— USB-A/Lighting —— iPad.

For safety reasons, strips or extension cords aren’t allowed. I had one and it was removed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see. Similar to Mom’s health care center then.

In that case, since they allow the adaptor, perhaps a USB-A cable extender would be ok. It would double your cord length. Here is a promising one. Ask first, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/AINOPE-Extension-MATERIAL-Transfer-Compatible/dp/B07RQRMGKB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2EEJTTJH6CEW&dchild=1&keywords=usb+extension+cord&qid=1589937641&sprefix=usb+exention+cord,aps,261&sr=8-3

Thanks, I’ll check it out. I’m in a private medical group home with three other people. They have rules for everything!

Most reactions

Latest posts