8P to 30P Adapter ...

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Pinkipad2, May 7, 2020.

1. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Wait! I just looked up the order status at Apple.

Personalized 10.2-inch iPad Wi-Fi 32GB - Silver

That appears to be the iPad you linked and NOT the iPad 2. So I’m either very happy as I can buy an adapter from Apple for the iPad and not for the iPad 2.

Please make my day!

2. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I’m now cross-eyed from looking at adapter cords! The magnetic lightning search brought up many cords and 8p-to-8p connectors but not adapters for 30p-to-8p under Prime .

I found these from Asian companies and am not thrilled m
    30 Pin Adapter | 8 Pin Female to 30 Pin Male | Works with Smartphones, Cars, 30
    Pin Docking Stations and More | White and the
    8P to 30P Adapter, 2Pack 8P to 30P Charge & Sync Cable Adapter Converter for Phone X/8/7/7 Plus/6s/6s Plus/6/6 Plus/SE/5s/5c/5 (White)

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi again - that's exactly the model I suggested many posts ago, and which you ordered (not an iPad 2 which is obsolete, and could be obtained only used, if still functional?) - Apple now sells just 4 iPads (see Wiki chart below - the four sold new by Apple are at the bottom in green) - the iPad you are getting is circled in blue - this has an 8-pin lightning port - there is no need for a 30-pin adapter; plus, relative to your newest thread on a cover, you will need one that fits this new model, e.g. see 2nd pic below from Amazon as an example (7th Generation iPad w/ 10.2" display). Dave :)

iPadsWiki.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 10.45.27 PM.png

4. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave and thank you. I’m not sure about the adapter comment because I ordered the 30 pin charger cord. For thirty dollars I’d rather use it with an adapter. I need the six foot cord to be safer and not worried about breakage.

The iPad I ordered is either fifth or sixth gen according to your image. The Amazon link is for the seventh gen iPad Plus, I will have a gift card for Apple’s site so need to buy it there. Earlier I needed the model code like 1822 or similar but Apple doesn’t give that information out. Guess I’ll have to wait to for my iPad to arrive.

The Apple store has nothing for a fifth or sixth gen cover if I remember right. But if the iPad is a newer model, shouldn’t they have one? Or does generation refer to a inner working and not the dimensions of the iPad ?

5. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Okay my research shows that the seventh generation iPad is what I ordered. It’s 10.2” and the other ones are 9.7”.

The Apple store has the cover.

6. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I thought I’d asked this previously but couldn’t find it so please forgive me for asking again.

I like the 8p to 30p adapter for my iPad cord. I keep it plugged in all the time and have broken several at the 8p cord connector.

I’m thinking of getting a six foot 30p usb cord. Obviously the 8p cord is obsolete and the adapter has the 8p connector for the iPad. The six foot 30p cord goes into the adapter and plugs into a usb wall plug adapter.

Apple doesn’t sell the adapter so I looked on Amazon. Many have bad ratings for longevity or just don’t work. I found one with good reviews and found the cord, too.

Before I buy these, I need to know if anyone has recommendations for the 8p to 30p adapter aside from amazon? Something that you have used for this perhaps.

Thank you. I’m unplugged right now and feel weird!

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The 8 pin or Lightning to USB cord is not obsolete as it’s the cord supplied with all current iOS devices with the exception of the newer iPad Pro models. I’d just buy a Lightning cable and not have to worry about adaptors.

8. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. I meant obsolete if I used the adapter.

I don’t want to use the cable with the end snapping and breaking. That’s why the adapter can protect me

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi Pknkipad. - here is your previous THREAD where you asked the same question - many of us responded that there was no need to consider the 'obsolete' 30-pin adapter - your new iPad uses the 8-pin lightning adapter - thus, you no longer have to discuss the 30-pin devices, unless you have to attach your new iPad to some old device such as a radio, like the old Sangean I had my 30-pin iPod Touch attached to which held all of my music. Do you have such a need? Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.35.36 PM.png

10. Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    uh, no, no need, Dave . But the end will break and then I’ll have to order another cord. Did you have a solution for keeping the cord from bending and fraying the wires?