What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using External Storage Devices with the iPad

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A Guide to or learn how to use your iPad with your External Desk/Portable Hard Drives, SD Card with CCK/ USB with CCK/ & Hard Drive w/o Jailbreaking

I posted this before while sketching up the problems in another post. Going over it again to save people some time while making it organized.

Here's the original http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/37430-external-usb-storage-support-jb-ipad-2-4-3-3-a-14.html

I will be covering:

Being Tested: 01 Aug 2012
CameraConnecter Tweak. Does not work with iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 or iPhone 4s on 5.1.1 when using SD card CCK . Seems to have docking issues recognized as different device on dock. Some people are able to port their keyboard to the iPhone. Many users with experiencing difficulty to get it to work. No results of people having file transfer through atm.

a. Terms/Acronyms:
I. External Desk Hard Drive with CCK on iPad (JB)
II. Portable External Hard Drive with CCK on iPad (JB)
III. SD Cards with CCK on iPad
IV. USB Drives with CCK on iPad
V. External Portable Hard Drive with cck on iPad (No JB)
VI. External Wireless Portable Hard Drive on iPad (No JB)
VII. Playing Videos with External Hard Drive
VIII. Other related info.
VIIII. Future Projects
X. Credits

a. Terms / Acronyms:

CCK (Camera Connection Kit)
SSH (Secure Shell)
SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) Cards
SDSC (Secure Digital Standard Capacity)
JB (Jailbreak)

I. External Desk Hard Drive with CCK for iPad

Bypass all those complications with USB Toggle!

Download USB Mount SBSettings Toggle
(that comes with sbsettings) by donating some money for activation code. You can get this through CYDIA with your jailbroken iPad. Sbsettings might bog you down on speed but the ease of it will eliminate. It only supports HFS & Fat formatted drives. And best part it's much more user friendly than using mobile terminal and all those click clanks steps.

or using it through mobile terminal down below
Requirements:
  • Jailbroken iPad ((tested on iPad2 iOS version 5.01)(Unjailbroken guide will be added later if availble))
  • iFile (from cydia w/ a jailbroken ipad)
  • Camera Connection Kit (c.c.k.)
  • OpenSSH (from cydia download)
  • Mobile Terminal (on your iPad with bluetooth keyboard OR mobile terminal on your mac/pc)
  • Nano (a file from cydia, has to be in DEVELOPER MODE (Cydia home screen top left corner change user settings)
  • External Hard Drive (with power cord & formatted in FAT32(read and writable for both mac and pc) (or I used HFS or Extended Journaled on mac disk utility))
  • Internet or no Internet
Before you start make sure you have those files downloaded from cydia (ifile, openssh, and nano).

With internet:
1. Open up your ipad go to your settings-> general -> wifi -> ip address. The ip address is what you're going to need to connect inside your ipad's files by ssh-ing into it. WRITE your ip address down.
2. Open mobile terminal on your ipad with keyboard or on your mac/pc.
3A. In mobile terminal type in ssh [email protected] (replace those x's with your ip address. Example: ssh [email protected])

Without Internet
3B. Mobile terminal type in

su root

password is alpine

4. You will notice a password required. The default password and user should be root and alpine. But for now just type in alpine. (don't worry if nothing shows up once typed, it's blanked out and hit enter after done)

5. Now type:

mkdir /Volumes (hit enter)

mkdir /Volumes/EXT (hit enter, you just made a EXT folder in Volumes in ifile, you'll see this later)

ln -s /Volumes/EXT /var/mobile/EXT (hit enter)

nano /var/stash/Appolications (hit tab on bluetooth keyboard on ipad or if done on mac/pc) (a number should be given for the application))

6. A popup should appear with nano file opened add this:

<key>UIDeviceFamily</key>
< array>
< integer>1</integer>
< integer>2</integer>
< /array>

below <dict>

As seen as in this picture by Maxwell C. Shay

Fig-13-300x190.jpg

7. Don't close the window. Hit control(ctrl) "x" then "y"

8. Close the mobile terminal, and restart your ipad

9. open up mobile terminal re-do steps 3&4.

10. Open up ifile and go in settings located on bottom left corner and hit enable application names.

11. Go back out into ifile and go into the main directory on top left. Find Volumes on the bottom of the files and go into it.

12. don't click anything while in volumes yet, click on edit. a circle will appear on left of EXT. Tap on that circle and tap on the bottom right corner icon thing.

13. Click on copy/link and click done

14. Go out of volume and click on sidebar on the top left, click on documents (or where you want to store the movies/prn/music w/e, ie doesnt have to be documents, your EXT shortcut will be there linking you to external hard drive when you mount it).

15. Now plug in your hard drive and hook up the power cord and connect it with camera connection kit to ipad. It should light up for a little bit.

16. Go back to terminal (Do steps 3A or 3B)

17. enter this in terminal:

for HFS format (extended journaled, usually mac ready compatible harddrive)

mount -t hfs /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/EXT

for fat32 format (usually all windows harddrives will be in fat32)

mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EXT

18. There you go mounted (ability to see files on your ipad from harddrive)
BUT make sure you properly unmount like you do on the computer when you remove a flashdrive or usb stick by putting this code into terminal when you're done

in mobile terminal to unmount hfs type drive (extended journal):

umount /dev/disk1s2

in mobile terminal to unmount msdos type drive (fat32):

umount /dev/disk1s1

Important! :

1. Make sure you unmount properly because it'll possibly erase your files like it did to me. (8hours of transfering files again and again).

2. If your hard drive isn't recognized by mobile terminal or the ipad. Try restarting it (not respringing). and connect again and it'll work. Usually happens with accidentals)

Shortcuts: You can also set shortcuts in mobile terminal to command proper mount and unmount like me under the (!) on right of mobile terminal.

I did this project through admirations of other work from the y-spilt cord portable Hard drive hack. I wanted to utilize my external harddrive because my portable hard drive didn't work unless with y-cable usb for power. I used my external hard drive (desk) for storage since portable hard drive requires power if no y-cable usb for power is available.

II. Using Portable External Hard Drive with CCK for iPad

Bypass all those complications with USB Toggle!

Download USB Mount SBSettings Toggle
(that comes with sbsettings) by donating some money for activation code. You can get this through CYDIA with your jailbroken iPad. Sbsettings might bog you down on speed but the ease of it will eliminate. It only supports HFS & Fat formatted drives. And best part it's much more user friendly than using mobile terminal and all those click clanks steps.

or using it through mobile terminal down below

Requirements:

Requires:
  • Jailbroken iPad ((tested on iPad2 iOS version 5.01)(Unjailbroken guide will be added later if availble))
  • iFile (from cydia w/ a jailbroken ipad)
  • Camera Connection Kit (c.c.k.)
  • OpenSSH (from cydia download)
  • Mobile Terminal (on your iPad with bluetooth keyboard OR mobile terminal on your mac/pc)
  • Nano (a file from cydia, has to be in DEVELOPER MODE (Cydia home screen top left corner change user settings)
  • External Hard Drive (with power cord & formatted in FAT32(read and writable for both mac and pc) (or I used HFS or Extended Journaled on mac disk utility))
  • Internet or No Internet
  • Y- Usb Powered Cable (found through google https://www.google.com/#hl=en&pwst=....,cf.osb&fp=b10f389bad4889f0&biw=1366&bih=659 )
Before you start make sure you have those files downloaded from cydia (ifile, openssh, and nano).

1. Do steps 1-16 (If you havn't already in the past or first time doing it overall)

17. enter this in terminal:

for HFS format (extended journaled, usually mac ready compatible harddrive)

mount -t hfs /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/EXT

for fat32 format (usually all windows harddrives will be in fat32)

mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EXT

18. There you go mounted (ability to see files on your ipad from harddrive)
BUT make sure you properly unmount like you do on the computer when you remove a flashdrive or usb stick by putting this code into terminal when you're done.

in mobile terminal to unmount hfs type drive (extended journal):

umount /dev/disk1s2

in mobile terminal to unmount msdos type drive (fat32):

umount /dev/disk1s1

* As repeated, for those that missed it on External Desk, here is also what is important to consider reading.

Important! :

1. Make sure you unmount properly because it'll possibly erase your files like it did to me. (8hours of transfering files again and again).

2. If your hard drive isn't recognized by mobile terminal or the ipad. Try restarting it (not respringing). and connect again and it'll work. Usually happens with accidentals)

Shortcuts: You can also set shortcuts in mobile terminal to command proper mount and unmount like me under the (!) on right of mobile terminal.

Credits/Resources for External Harddrive: Maxwell C. Shay » Apple iPad w/Spirit Jailbreak (and the camera connection kit): How to mount external HFS and FAT32 hard drives in MacOSX

III. Using SDHC Card with CCK for iPad

SDHC/SDSC cards, you don't need to root anything. Just insert in CCK and it'll appear on sidebar under Devices.
*Next generation SDXC cards will not work because apple's CCK does not support it. BUT using Airstash will support up to 2TB for SDXC cards http://www.airstash.com

Requirements:

• Doesn't need to be Jailbroken but recommended
  • iFile from Cydia recommended or Good Reader from App Store or any app that goes in directory of folder. Other apps Readdledocs, Zen Viewer.
  • C.C.K.
1. Plug it in the CCK then into the iPad.
2. A popup screen should appear automatically for when it plugs in.
3. You should be able to also locate it in iFile directory in -> var/mnt/mount1 or var/mnt/
You can also create the link from some apps that provide the shortcut option inputting in
var/mnt/mount1 or var/mnt/ if it doesn't work.

IV. USB Drive with CCK on iPad

Requirements:

• Recommended buying USB or using USB that does not light up* when plugged in.
For light up USBs look towards this forum for more support and information [HOW TO] Turn off USB pendrive light - Ubuntu Forums. Haven't tested.
  • iFile from Cydia recommended or Good Reader from App Store or any app that goes in directory of folder. Other apps Readdledocs, Zen Viewer.
  • CCK
*Be advised, there are some usbs that doesn't light up but isn't compatible with the CCK. I would stick with SDHC cards than USB drives since a lot of them are not compatible with the iPad

Here is a list of USBs that works with the CCK on iPad:

Under work..

Compatibility: Some USBs that require power do work on previous version prior to 4.3.3 if I am correct. But the iPad 1 are majority that are the ones that are able to by pass that restriction of support power to the usb device. Although it is being looked at above with the link to disable it. Deployed atm so I don't have access to all my gadgets and options.

V. External Portable Hard Drive with CCK iPad (No Jailbreaking required)
  • Buy Hyperdrive external portable hard drive from HyperShop - Shop for HyperJuice, HyperDrive, HyperShield, HyperThin. They offer 500GB, 750GB, 1TB. It is very expensive, but it is very simple with no jailbreaking required. It gives a hassle free, stress free work around jailbreak-free solution.
  • CCK
  • Y-Cord Usb Powered (OPTIONAL, will help you charge and use it the same time).
OR
  • iFlashDrive by HyperShop
iFlashDrive comes in 8GB, 16GB, & 32GB (But it's slightly expensive, starting price at $99.5)

iFlashDrive is a storage that can be used with the iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad without jailbreaking. It has two sides for USB and 30 pin connection which can transfer files to your mac or pc and between your various iDevices (listed above). It has an application called iFlashDrive in the App Store and can manage your files.

VI. External Wireless Portable Hard Drive with iPad (No Jailbreaking required)

images

Airstash A01
(Version 1) or Airstash A02 (Version 2) with Airstash App (only upload (u)), Good Reader (U/D), Air Sharing, or iFile (Cydia) U/D applications that support WebDav & HTTPS. Here are more apps that support it Connect Various Apps to AirStash : AirStash Support . It comes in 8GB & 16GB and it's worth it because you can stream to multiple devices without internet on a 5 hour battery. It can be used while being charged as well. Although con is the battery replacement is not available unless sources that have tweak their way with a battery hack. The strongest point for this device is that it also allows SDXC (next generation or currently the best SDXC type cards in the market) up to 2TB which is supposedly the max for a SDXC storage. Currently there is only 128GB, still impressive but it has to be formatted to fat32 or fat (for sdxc) because Airstash does not support ExFat. Other than that SDHC cards up to 64GB are very worth it as well. It comes with 8GB or 16GB. Works without using your current internet connection but requires seperate connection to work. 5hours worth battery alone. Can be accessible while charging.

images

Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage (500GB) with 7 hours worth of battery. Although not very reliable and horrible reviews on Amazon. Looks like people are not satisfied with this product and their design. Also has supprting app called GoFlex App in AppStore. Like one guy says great idea, poor execution. (Hand and a half or so Size). Stream to multiple devices. Does not have to be connected to internet to use. Can stream while charging. Does not support WebDav. Formatting it to HFS will lose wifi capabilities.
HDD type drive.
If applicable 4G Hotspotable.

images

Kingston Wi-Drive (16GB or 32GB or 64GB) with USB 2.0 connection for power and 4 hours of battery life. Flash Memory (SSD). It is said not to be accessible while charging BUT user KennX or Kenn Crook stated "So I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents as there seems to be some debate over this issue. As stated elsewhere as long as you turn on the device and let the blue wifi lights come on PRIOR to plugging it in to the USB charger it will transmit while charging. Just got back from a family vacation and being able to make additional movies available to the iPad was really nice. No glitches or stuttering on playback. Seems like an excellent product! " from Amazon. (Hand Palm Size) Issues about heating up. Very good reviews from Amazon. Can be accessible without the use of internet. Does not support WebDav. Ease of use compared to other choices
images

PQI Air Drive (Max 32GB Removable SDHC) Not available for sales yet as of July 21 2012. Customer service has not respond to my in depth question yet. 5 Hours worth battery with USB 2.0. You can swap out as many (1) SD cards up to 32GB. (Hand Palm Size). Can be used without internet. Has S-Flash for App to support it in App Store.

images

G-Connect (500 GB) Ability to turn into a router with a ethernet jack plugged in. Has b/g/n & WPA-2. Does not have built in battery. It has to be connected to power source. It works with power coming from car for road trips! Does not overheat. Great Reviews! Simular size to Seagate GoFlex Satellite. Price range 150ish-180ish if you have a hard time finding the price. USB 2.0. DLNA support. Very Quiet. Storage is half the size you would get for the price. "G-Connect supports unprotected videos in MP4, H.264 + M-JPEG formats, but not protected iTunes purchases, and may stumble when trying to play content in other formats..."- ilounge.com. HDD type drive.

images

WD MLB (My Live Book) (1TB/2TB/3TB)
This drive has NAS (Use without internet) capability. Also supports DLNA (for viewing/streaming purposes) for PS3 and other devices. Has to be connected to a power source. Does not have great reviews by users on Amazon. "Always On" option for streaming. HDD type drive.

images

CloudFTP
It isn't exactly a hard drive, but it is a route way for your non wireless usb storage (stick usb/ hard drive usb/ etc usb devices) to go wireless. It also has a battery life that can go up to 6 hours depending on use. It can also be accessible while charging. You can also set up a USB hub with CloudFTP and send all of those Usb storage devices online (ad-hoc). Or use a Sd Card reader with it to send it online to substitute the Airstash. Distance of more than 10 feet away might affect its performance.

And finally the product that changes it all!

The Patriot Gauntlet Node!
images
images

This is the Patriot Gaunlet Node. This nifty little thing transfers wifi from the storage that is installed. The storage compatibility is for 2.5"(inch) & 9.5mm size SATA (II) SSD or HHD (Max 2TB) . Also has a 3.0 USB port for non wired connections! Why is it so special? It is the first storage switchables for SSD AND HHD. Meaning! If your hard drive is outdated, corrupted, or needs an upgrade. You can switch out the hard drive and put a new one in (2.5"). It has an iPhone and iPad app that is quick and reliable! Battery measuring up to 5.5 hours ! Has 802.11 b/g/n wireless capabilities! Understand that SSD are expensive atm but are still affordable! If they drop enough in prices then you have yourself a modernize speed boost that can serve very nice in performance and suitability!

Looking forward into the future:

An afforable NAS portable battery powered SSD storage unit with 802.11ac with a dedicated application involving open source for developers. :eek:

& XQD cards

VII. Playing Videos on External Hard Drive on iPad

• Physical (cable) connection to iPad
So you're probably wondering why videos don't play from your External Hard Drive once connected to your iPad. The problem is, once you selected the video you wish to watch from your external hard drive, compatibility of iFile media player is defaulted to Apples' required formats. The iPad will work/play from the source (the movies on the hard drive) as long as it is compatible or is .m4v, .mp4, .mov, x.264 avc, h.264 and 720p resolution for movies. The iPad 1 & 2 is restricted from 1080p format unless bypass by using other other media player apps in the App Store. Some apps such as Oplayer, AvPlayer, and Buzz Player can play them*.

The iPad 3 or New iPad is the only one that Apple/iTunes allow with 1080p with default media player.

*A lot of movies still out there (if you know what I mean), are in .avi format. You can play these files only if you move (cut/copy) the file from the connected Hard Drive to your iPad. Which then, the Apps such as OPlayer, AvPlayer, and Buzz Player can play them.

Where should I move my media if it isn't able to play from the hard drive?
- (Recommended using iFile) Copy/cut file into the directory /var/mobile/Applications/(Your App to play unsupported media)/(Should be My Documents or Documents for most)
*make sure you make the location a shortcut/bookmark for future accessibility

Where can I store what I transfered from hard drive into my device?
- /var/ mobile/Documents
or
- /var/mobile/Downloads
or
- Wherever you can remember or prefer.
  • Wireless connection to iPad
By default streaming, it takes away the privledge for other formats because Apple does not yet support it. Therefore by downloading Apps such as those listed above will bypass/provide formats that wasn't able to be handled and allows you to play/stream your media. The pros are no hassle of cords and no risk of improperly unmounting due to the shaky CCK hook up. Some wireless storage connectivity perform different ways. You can stream through HTTP (which will use/disrupt your internet) or manage files with FTP (same bracket as http). Improved way that combines both of them are through WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning) supported apps. NAS (Network Attached Storage) which enables you to share your files through multiple people and as well as edit your files.
The con with WebDAV is that it uses your current internet connection. The pro with NAS allows you to create its' own connection not disrupting your internet connection. Depends on your wireless storage, the types may vary.

VIII. Other related information:

Change your SSH password
Recommended to change your SSH password if you jailbroken your devices. It's very important as for your security, because anyone can guess the default password.
It will protect you more from being hacked, intruders, viruses, etc.
Your device and most are defaulted to the password alpine. To change the password.
1. Open up Mobile Terminal
2. Type in su
3. enter the current password "alpine" and enter
4. Once you done so, type in "passwd". It will allow you to change your pass.
5. It will ask you twice and there you go you changed your password.

Mounting Issues
If you have mounting issues you can
1. Restart iPad and re-mount
2. Re-do steps from above

Unmounting Issues
1. Close media players / ifile then unmount.

Playing Movies/Music directly from external hard drive connection source?
CCK can't store files or won't pop up when inserted with SD Card or USB.
CCK on a non jailbroken device will only give its' ability to import photos onto the iPad if pictures are correct format. With jailbreaking it can go both ways.

VIIII. Future Projects :

Looking forward to tweaking the current/voltage so the limit will expand to use various devices (keyboards, cameras, wifi extenders, etc)
One more thing.. I forgot though. Will bbl.

X. Credits :
Please give credits to me for my hard work, making my post link a reference. Other people that helped me with this was jwJohnson, Maxwell C. Shay, various youtube videos. Slashgear.com for photo. Pqigroup.com for photo. Engadget.com for photo. G-technology.com for photo. Heresthethingblog.com for photo. Munky for the additional information on USB Toggle. TylerThomas for testing with the iHustler kit which did not work to regulate power so it would work under power voltage/current limitations Apple has applied in 4.3.3? & Additional Gaming information.

*Please post your results (what usb/ hard drive / etc) and your iDevice iOS Version jb/ or not jb for further future optimization of this guide, Thanks :D!

"Like" the post from the right side if you find it interesting and helpful!
Would love questions (how-to's), suggestions( for me to add/talk about), and feedbacks. :)

Last edited:
OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some suggestions - bump - :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep up the good work. I've made the thread a sticking in the Hacking Section.

richfong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks yoF,

Some worked example . Fyr.

iPad 3 jb + sandisk 8G + buffalo hub (no power needed) + cck

Success in ifile , read write ...

Hope help

Richard

crashnburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which Camera Connection / Card Reader Kit are/ have you used for this (even on iPad 1/2 or before)? Can any Camera Kit/ Card Reader from DXtreme be used?

Anyone test this on the new jailbroken firmware.

New iPad 3
and
iOS 5.1 / 5.1.1 ?

Please check.

does that works on 5.1.1?
thnx.

Thanks yoF,

Hope help

Richard

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crashnburn said:
Which Camera Connection / Card Reader Kit are/ have you used for this (even on iPad 1/2 or before)? Can any Camera Kit/ Card Reader from DXtreme be used?

Anyone test this on the new jailbroken firmware.

New iPad 3
and
iOS 5.1 / 5.1.1 ?

Please check.

It would have to work, apple didn't change the cck model and nor voltage limits for iOS 5.1/5.1 for all iPad generations. I'm not sure card reader from dxtreme can be used. Heard third party cck's doesn't, but some might. On side note I'm overseas on a deployment so I can't update. I'll need everyones cooperation. Please let us know.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richfong said:
Thanks yoF,

Hope help

Richard

Very nice. But which one didn't? Let me know!

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crashnburn said:

Yes you can do that one too, something I forgot and left out was USB toggle. But its only recommended if you have sbsettings because it falls under it. But the bad thing about installing sbsettings is that it slows your device down. Otherwise stick with mobile terminal shortcut unmount and mount because less tweaks is less problem. If you have intelliscreen x then it'll do you much better with mobile terminal. Or if you think mobile terminal is too confusing go ahead and get USB toggle (cost a donation amount).

Last edited:

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The My Book Live from Western Digital is a good network drive you can use with the ipad. They have an app in which you can view, play, link to, email, print, download, and open in any compatible app any file or media that you store on a 1-3 TB hard drive connected to your router which you can acess anywhere you have the internet. They also have a Photos app with which you can view, email, open in, post to facebook, save to camera roll, etc. any picture you have stored on the drive, and also upload any photo/video from your iPad to the drive. The amount of storage, prices, and apps for these drives are way better than the Seagate drives or even the wifi drive you mentioned in your post. I've used a Goflex Satellite extensively and tested a Goflex home and they both pale in comparison the WD MBL or MBL Duo. The My Book Live Duo model is a 4-6 TB version of the other one.

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But anyway, I'm trying to use a flash drive to store the ROMs for my Cydia emulators on, so that I don't have to store them locally (especially PSX ROMs because they're usually 500MB or more). I have a third-party CCK (just a USB connector) and I'm trying to use a PNY 8GB flash drive... It doesn't have a light on it or anything but when I plug it in I get a message saying it uses too much power... I know it's not the CCK because I was able to successfully connect a Kingston 2GB flash drive and read/write with it. I've installed USB toggles and that didn't help either... I need to be able to use an at least 4 if not 8GB flash drive to do what I'm trying to do (preferably and 8GB one). I'm considering using a 16GB SD card but I'll have to get a CCK for it, and that will take days if not weeks (at the price I'm willing to pay)...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TylerThomas said:
But anyway, I'm trying to use a flash drive to store the ROMs for my Cydia emulators on, so that I don't have to store them locally (especially PSX ROMs because they're usually 500MB or more). I have a third-party CCK (just a USB connector) and I'm trying to use a PNY 8GB flash drive... It doesn't have a light on it or anything but when I plug it in I get a message saying it uses too much power... I know it's not the CCK because I was able to successfully connect a Kingston 2GB flash drive and read/write with it. I've installed USB toggles and that didn't help either... I need to be able to use an at least 4 if not 8GB flash drive to do what I'm trying to do (preferably and 8GB one). I'm considering using a 16GB SD card but I'll have to get a CCK for it, and that will take days if not weeks (at the price I'm willing to pay)...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Its the usb drive because power limit from the ios. There are others but its hard to detect because its hard to find the power technical specs of it haha. But yeah stick with a sdhc and make sure its not sdxc.

TylerThomas said:
The My Book Live from Western Digital is a good network drive you can use with the ipad. They have an app in which you can view, play, link to, email, print, download, and open in any compatible app any file or media that you store on a 1-3 TB hard drive connected to your router which you can acess anywhere you have the internet. They also have a Photos app with which you can view, email, open in, post to facebook, save to camera roll, etc. any picture you have stored on the drive, and also upload any photo/video from your iPad to the drive. The amount of storage, prices, and apps for these drives are way better than the Seagate drives or even the wifi drive you mentioned in your post. I've used a Goflex Satellite extensively and tested a Goflex home and they both pale in comparison the WD MBL or MBL Duo. The My Book Live Duo model is a 4-6 TB version of the other one.

Yeah you can also go with this way but it has more cons because the flex satellite (or streaming/online storage hd) uses your connection which disrupts your quality stream or gaming.
THIS IS NOT true goflex satellite doesn't have to use your internet connection to stream or transfer files.

Last edited:

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wasnt promoting the Goflex Satellite bro, I was saying the drives from Western Digital are better.

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And I took the 8GB flash drive back to where I got it and exchanged it for 2 4GB drives. I tested 2 other 8GB drives and neither of them worked either. It appears the 8GB+ flash drives use too much power to work without a power converter like the iHustler. But I've tested a 2GB drive and a 4GB drive and they both worked. But like I was saying, for the majority of my files and media I use a 2TB WD MBL network drive. It works great IMO, way better than a wifi drive or the Goflex Home. For larger storage spaces I suggest these WD drives...the My Book Live or My Book Live Duo. They can hold thousands upon thousands of songs and hundreds of movies. But for media that isn't normally compatible with an iPad (files you can only use on a jailbroken device) the methods you've been describing are practical. I'm currently using a 4GB flash drive to store PSX ROMs on and 2GB flash drive to store GBA and SNES ROMs on. With the .emu emulators you can find in Cydia you can actually connect your flash drive, or SD card with a CCK and load the games right from them and play them without having to transfer them to a local location on the iPad. I've got a 16GB micro SD card with a normal SD adapter and another 4GB flash drive for any other files that can only be used on a jailbroken device, whatever they may be, in case i find use for some other file type.

Most reactions

Latest posts