What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.3 update

claynlr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On to question 2 Gentle Readers...I want to upgrade to 8.3 but have read a lot of horror stories as to the amount of time this takes and the difficulty, as lately as mid April. Has it gotten faster and easier in the last month? Thanks for your input!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 8.3 was only released April 8th. I believe the issues people may have had around the time you suggest is typical of updates - the Apple servers get hammered by a lot of traffic trying to update, which can cause connectivity issues. Now that we are well away from release, the update process should be fairly painless.

OP
C

claynlr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks 777...So I decided to go for the update. Started to back-up to iCloud. This was an initial, first time back-up. I have a pretty good internet connection (in Afghanistan) that loads web sites fairly fast. I have maybe 6-8 apps, some Kindle books, less than 100 photos and no videos or songs. Started the back-up and estimated time to complete was 23 hours! OK, no problem, I will just let it roll. Checked it last night and it said 10 hours remaining. Woke up this morning and had lost the connection evidently because on iCloud it said tap to iniate back-up. Also "last updated" was "never updated" or something like that.

So I guess if it didn't finish it was like it never started?? It won't finish backing up from when the connection was lost?

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks 777...So I decided to go for the update. Started to back-up to iCloud. This was an initial, first time back-up. I have a pretty good internet connection (in Afghanistan) that loads web sites fairly fast. I have maybe 6-8 apps, some Kindle books, less than 100 photos and no videos or songs. Started the back-up and estimated time to complete was 23 hours! OK, no problem, I will just let it roll. Checked it last night and it said 10 hours remaining. Woke up this morning and had lost the connection evidently because on iCloud it said tap to iniate back-up. Also "last updated" was "never updated" or something like that.

So I guess if it didn't finish it was like it never started?? It won't finish backing up from when the connection was lost?

This is why I prefer backing up through iTunes on my PC. It's faster and I don't have to rely so much on the Internet.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

OP
C

claynlr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. To get itunes on my PC, running Windows 8.0, do I go to the Windows store or go to the iTunes store?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

When you have to initiate it once more, it'll start from zero again.

If you've never updated before, this might need more time than just "refreshing" a previous update.
It shouldn't take 23 hours or even 10 hours, though, with a good Wi-Fi connection.

If iCloud doesn't finish backing up, use iTunes, as suggested by rasmith1959. Connect your device to your computer, the backup will be stored there. You don't need a network connection.
Use this link
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203977
to get more information and directions for backup methods.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. To get itunes on my PC, running Windows 8.0, do I go to the Windows store or go to the iTunes store?
See my post just below yours. You'll find the instructions there.

OP
C

claynlr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help! I do not have iTunes on my PC and need to download it first to my PC. The question I have is where to download the Windows version of iTunes from? Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help! I do not have iTunes on my PC and need to download it first to my PC. The question I have is where to download the Windows version of iTunes from? Thanks!
You'll be directed to the latest version, when you select "download it here" on this page: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201352
Use your computer to open the site, you can't access the link for the download from your iPad.

OP
C

claynlr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success!! Downloading iTunes on my PC went smooth as did the back-up of my iPad. And just now a successful download and install of 8.3.

Thanks so much to all. I appreciate the time and effort of you to monitor the site and answer questions for noobs like me!

Most reactions

Latest posts