What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G VS. Tehtered

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think some are misunderstanding the test needed.

Native 3G test via a 3G iPad with ATT = ?
Tethered 3G Wifi test via a 3G iPad or Wifi iPad with ATT = ?

The test might give us a idea if the tether is at all effecting the network performance. I say might, as the phone used for tether could get better/worst signal then the 3G iPad. But it would still be interesting none the less. Please let us know your signal bars for the test.

SteveNYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's some results

Ok, so I performed some results. First, a little detail.

iPad 3G 32GB
iPhone 3GS 32GB OS 3.1.3 baseband 4.26.08 jailbroken
Internet service at home is 10mb down / 512kb up

All results are the average of three tests using the Speedtest.net application.

iPad on home WiFi

Ping - 40ms avg.
Download - 17438kbps avg.
Upload - 475kbps avg.

(download speed is maxed at 10mbps, the high number reflects the influence of TimeWarnerCable's powerboost feature. It's simply maxed out.)

iPad on 3G cellular

Ping - 429ms avg.
Download - 2008kbps avg.
Upload - 342kbps avg.

(test done in Queens, NYC at 10:30 pm)

iPad tethered to iPhone via MyWi

Ping - 611ms avg.
Download - 1868kbps avg.
Upload - 345kbps avg.

(fairly big swings in ping times)

Last edited:

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So a little performance decrease when tethered. I wonder if I will have the same results (will find out when I get my 3G in a few days). Thanks for taking the time to do the test and for sharing. Much appreciated.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is the same speed on my tethered wifi vs straight 3G on my iphone. Should be ...it is the same data.

No reason to bother with the 3G version unless you 1. Don't have an iphone 2. Don't want to jailbreak it 3. Need the gps function.

The only problem is that if you are using your phone as a hotspot you can't have a voice conversation at the same time.

SteveNYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem is that if you are using your phone as a hotspot you can't have a voice conversation at the same time.
The other problem is that using the iPhone to tether eats your iPhone battery like crazy if you're not careful.

I really wish they would allow Bluetooth tethering. It's absolutely ridiculous and disgusting that they force you into situations like this. It's why I fully support jailbreaking. It's about the money, nothing else.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other problem is that using the iPhone to tether eats your iPhone battery like crazy if you're not careful.

I really wish they would allow Bluetooth tethering. It's absolutely ridiculous and disgusting that they force you into situations like this. It's why I fully support jailbreaking. It's about the money, nothing else.

I am planning on getting a 2600 mha battery for my Pre. The standard one is 1300 mha. It would be handy to have since MyTether works through USB as well and if my home internet connection went down I would have a backup as well.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm lucky in that I don't need out of house internet access for my laptop -- which is why I bought the 3G. I can fully understand someone who needs such access buying the myfi, etc. What I have problems understanding (and it's really none of my business) but why someone would want to go through all of the crap of buying extra batteries, special programs, having to watch 2 batteries, having to initiate the tethering before connecting via the iPad.

Before my iPad I had an iPod touch that I tethered to a Samsung Omnia. I had the $80 extended battery, walking hot spot, etc. It worked but was truly a pain in the a$$ and didn't appear any faster that my iPad.

leeherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Wifi only version has tested out at 14.73 mbps using WiFi at home.

The same iPad tested at 655 kbps wirelessly tethered to my VZW Samsung Omnia running WMWiFiRouter.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm lucky in that I don't need out of house internet access for my laptop -- which is why I bought the 3G. I can fully understand someone who needs such access buying the myfi, etc. What I have problems understanding (and it's really none of my business) but why someone would want to go through all of the crap of buying extra batteries, special programs, having to watch 2 batteries, having to initiate the tethering before connecting via the iPad.

Before my iPad I had an iPod touch that I tethered to a Samsung Omnia. I had the $80 extended battery, walking hot spot, etc. It worked but was truly a pain in the a$$ and didn't appear any faster that my iPad.

I am already paying $99.00 per month for my Sprint Pre voice / data plan. I need the phone to be with me at all times. Why would I want to buy a MiFi and shell out another 60.00 per month for data service on it when I can use the phone that I already have to accomplish the same thing?

EARL97850

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem is I am with Verizon and if I root my Droid so that I can tether it to a iPad then there will not be any phone calls taking place while tethered.

Decisions decisions.

Cya

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I am already paying $99.00 per month for my Sprint Pre voice / data plan. I need the phone to be with me at all times. Why would I want to buy a MiFi and shell out another 60.00 per month for data service on it when I can use the phone that I already have to accomplish the same thing?

I don't disagree with you at all. In your position I would do the same thing. I'm just not in your position.

moeby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The MAIN thing about thethering

it just look similar to
your mom holding your hand out for a walk.

If that's your digg, we are all happy for the tit therer.

Get a 3g damn it!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts