1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad vs HP Slate

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by iDan, Jan 31, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 2
    Here's a nice breakdown between the Apple iPad and the HP Slate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very good specs and a nice looking device. Hopefully we'll see a version with Android :)
  2. DG~X

DG~X iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Oh god...the HP is strong competion...especially with the MULTI-TASKING!!:) And a web cam that is pretty epic. The look is very similar. Windows strikes again..:eek:
  3. terry

terry iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See, that's what I'm talking about. Competition is awesome. I bet next years ipad will be a huge leap forward.
  4. iPad

iPad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IM GETTING THE HP SLATE! :p
    its KILLING the ipad in almost every comparison! wow....
    No but seriously though Apple better step up and make some serious improvements or they could lose alot of their supporters (including me)
  5. DG~X

DG~X iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I dont know what apple was thinking but it is hard to make a perfect system. They'll get it next time.(hopefully)
  6. scotty frank

scotty frank iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple and HP both better have their guns ready. I have a feeling that the chrome os is gonna make its appearance on a tablet to compete with this. Although the Chrome OS is useless without wi-fi if the kernel is modified to become more than a completely internet operated OS Apple and HP are gonna have their hands full.
  7. iVegas702

iVegas702 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know apple can and will do fine with the iPad. If you think the HP Slate will be better I think you are wrong. Here is an article from PC World at CES The iPad will have USB interface, which will allow a camera and later models will have one as well. I think that if you can put iWork on the iPad you can put a lot of things on there. Not just apps but programs that can do all sorts of things. Programs that will help the Doctors and medical field. Schools, hospitals and such. The iPad will be a launching pad to a new generation of tablets. And yes competition will be great and help push all of them to build what the people want.
  8. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'll still take the iPad over it.

Everyone says Windows 7 has a great touch interface. It doesn't, it's so far from great it's not even funny. I'm an HP Touchsmart TX2 right now, and I hate the touch interface, it's so inaccurate it's not even funny.

Then you are also still running Windows on a relatively slow PC. Say bye bye to gaming. Touch-optimized Windows games? We won't see anything for years. iPad already has hundreds.
  9. rudeman

rudeman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Superbike81. iPad is a superior machine. No comparison. Apps, syncs with your machine. Get an iPad. HP will lose money and will soon be out of the tablet making business.
  10. iPadBoy

iPadBoy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IMO this HP is crap. Why? Because it's simply a classic tablet PC which they've renamed as "slate" (probably a name stolen from the "iSlate" trademarks) to try and drum up a bit of hype. The iPad, on the other hand, is something new.

I used a touchscreen HP PC (it was a TouchSmart 300 I think) recently, and it was fun as long as I also had a keyboard and mouse, but I couldn't stand just using their touch system alone. It left a lot to be desired, especially in the multitouch area.
  11. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    In Windows 7, touch is still an afterthought, meant to be nothing more than a cool gadget. That's what is great about the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, the interface is designed to work with touch and touch only, so it's been optimized, and it's excellent!
  12. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The big point

@Superbike, you touch the right point, and all Apple competitor cannot do this as they don't do hardware ...
  13. MacDude

MacDude iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it will come down to actual performance, how well the hardware and software mesh and street price.

I do wish the iPad had multitasking, I like to listen to iTunes while reading.
  14. KiltedTim

KiltedTim iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why do you believe you won't be able to listen to iTunes while reading? You can do it on the iPhone and iPod Touch... Lack of multitasking on the iPad is a myth, pure and simple. It's "well regulated" but that does not mean it doesn't exist.
  15. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    *Ninjad*

And what makes you think that the Music function of the iPad will not run in the background? The Music/iPod app of the iPod will run at the same time as just about any app. It can even be unpaused using the headphone control if another program stops it to play a video at its launch, and doesn't allow acess to quick double click media pop-up controls. I don't see why the iBook app would suspend the Music/iPod app in the first place.

It seems people are getting way to hung up on this "can't multitask" fallacy that has is being spread by overblowing haters who don't know the OS. Even if Apple doesn't open up 3rd Party mulitasking by the time the iPad launches I'll hog-tied if they don't have a greater degree of multitasking with thier 1st party programs, espcially with the media functions.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  16. terry

terry iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its a giant touch. It's nothing new, the HP doesn't look so hot either. I think the Ipad and slate are both going to be busts. It's just too much of a niche market. You can get laptops of the same size or close for that price. What apple should of done is taken a mackbook air and made the screen rotate around. Effectively making it a tablet/laptop. Now for those that are saying this would cost more, then those could get an ipod touch and deal with it because thats all the ipad is.
    '
  17. MacDude

MacDude iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad to hear it !

You would think that Apple would stress this more. Anyway I can't wait to get one and see just what it will do and what it wont.
  18. iDoug

iDoug Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I still think the iPad will out perform it and will just work like it's supposed to. That's why I only work on Mac's now. They are work horses, do what you want and last for a long time with minimum to no virus issues or slowdowns :ipad-back:
  19. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There is a great deal about Apple's products that I wish Apple would stress more. Especially when adverting the MacOSX of the Macs against 'generic' PC running Windows. There are many extra intermediate level features that Apple never brings up in its advertising. How drag & drop works in the Open/Save windows, or the ability to add Folders/Apps/Documents to the Dock, Finder-Side Bar, and to the top menu bar of the finder Window. And yet its mostly pointless bashing. :mad:
  20. Edward Dawson

Edward Dawson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HP Slate comes with USB Port. On the other hand, iPad has no expandable storage or USB port.HP Slate is one step forward than iPad. HP Slate has broaden the scope of reading eBook via Amazon Kindle app or in any format, supported by Windows 7. Whereas with iPad, user can only read iBooks via Kindle app for iPhone.