What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G iPad Use in India

LoveUScarlette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New - Need Some Guidance for Ipad 3G Use in India:

Hello Apple Users,
I have recently bought Ipad - 3G (Locked to AT&T) from US. Few basic questions:
a. Do I have to unlock/jailbreak to use it in network here?
b. How to fit the micro-sim here? Does operators open Ipad & insert it or can do myself?
c. Did Ipad2 have any specific benifit wrt SIM?

Will take actions based on your replies! Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New - Need Some Guidance for Ipad 3G Use in India:

Hello Apple Users,
I have recently bought Ipad - 3G (Locked to AT&T) from US. Few basic questions:
a. Do I have to unlock/jailbreak to use it in network here?
b. How to fit the micro-sim here? Does operators open Ipad & insert it or can do myself?
c. Did Ipad2 have any specific benifit wrt SIM?

Will take actions based on your replies! Thanks!

Hi - first of all - I moved your post to the iPad Help section, as I think you'll get a better response there and created a new thread.

(a) No iPads are carrier locked and do not require jail breaking to use them with another SIM card. However, it appears that AT&T iPads may need to be initialised in the US on an AT&T card first of all. So, if you're still in the US, it would be good to purchase a low-cost pre-pay data plan from them and initialise it before returning to India. Over the past couple of months we've had several reports of people (some from India too) reporting problems with using local Indian SIMs in iPads bought in the US that had not been initialised there first.

(b) You can insert the microSIM yourself. If you look at the iPad manual - it's available on line and can be accessed from your Safari web browser bookmarks (it's pre-loaded there). There's a small 'cover' on the side of the iPad that slides out with the microSIM in. It's a bit delicate - the iPad comes with a small wire 'tool' to enable you to open the door - but be careful, it's very delicate. Once the drawer slides out you can remove the AT&T SIM and insert a local one.

(c) There is no benefit to the iPad2 with respect to the SIM. However, microSIMs - as needed by both the iPad1 and iPad2 are still relatively rare. If you find a problem in acquiring one in India then you can buy a SIM cutter that will cut down a standard SIM to microSIM dimensions - the excess is only plastic and serves no functional purpose.

Let us know if you need any further help - enjoy your iPad and we hope to hear from you again soon.

Tim

OP
L

LoveUScarlette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ohh Tim...thanks a ton for such prompt response..

My Ipad1 is a used one bought from ebay...so I guess it has already been used with AT&T...voila then...I can buy a 3G SIM here in Kolkata & start using this magical device!!

Let me talk to few 3G service providers who provides 3G here...exciting days ahead!

Most reactions

Latest posts