What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 iPads (3G) One Account

fgcook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my second iPad -(good deal on the first model). I intend to use one for work and one for play (my wife will probably do most of the playing). I went to set up the data plan and it just sees the plan I already have for iPad #1. Do I need another plan or will it work on both (maybe at the same times on occasion)?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my second iPad -(good deal on the first model). I intend to use one for work and one for play (my wife will probably do most of the playing). I went to set up the data plan and it just sees the plan I already have for iPad #1. Do I need another plan or will it work on both (maybe at the same times on occasion)?

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

You have posted an interesting data plan question. Maybe some of the US Forum members can help with this one. Are you on AT&T or Verizon? You say that your second iPad 'sees' the first data plan, so I wonder whether you've tried using this iPad on 3G yet?

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can insert a SIM from other devices.. For example: your other iPad or your iPhone, and it will use the data you're already paying for, without having to pay twice. This may not be the best plan to swap your iphone's SIM, as it also handles your voice, but is probably not a bad idea to SIM swap between iPads.

OP
F

fgcook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T and it Works!

Both iPads are AT&T and they both seem to work off the network (same data plan) just fine. I had to shut off the WIFI so that I knew they were seeing the 3G and I browsed to different (new sites to avoid any cache issues) and they work! I like this, I did not want to maintain two different accounts and all the stuff that comes with it. It makes sense on ATT side as well as they are selling data streaming by the measure not connection, so they are serving more data now as well - getting paid more or appropriately.

Another issue (maybe I should break this out in a new thread but actually don't have the time. Being new to this forum I downloaded the Forum iPad app. Once loaded I went to reply to your messages and the iPad would faithfully fill in the Title but in this box I was not able to type or write anything? I even started and restarted the whole iPad without success so had to wait to get to a real deal computer to write this. Whats up with that?"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another issue (maybe I should break this out in a new thread but actually don't have the time. Being new to this forum I downloaded the Forum iPad app. Once loaded I went to reply to your messages and the iPad would faithfully fill in the Title but in this box I was not able to type or write anything? I even started and restarted the whole iPad without success so had to wait to get to a real deal computer to write this. Whats up with that?"

This sounds like a problem another user had. If I remember right it turned out that he had not signed into the forum with the app. Once he was logged in everything worked.

The login/logout icon is at the bottom of the screen. Looks like a key.

fbizzell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 ipads on single data plan?

Both iPads are AT&T and they both seem to work off the network (same data plan) just fine. I had to shut off the WIFI so that I knew they were seeing the 3G and I browsed to different (new sites to avoid any cache issues) and they work! I like this, I did not want to maintain two different accounts and all the stuff that comes with it. It makes sense on ATT side as well as they are selling data streaming by the measure not connection, so they are serving more data now as well - getting paid more or appropriately.

How were you able to do that. I want to do the same thing--use my new ipad2 and my original ipad on the same data plan. How did you get the
original data plan onto your new ipad2?

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious too... to the OP did you try using both ipads at the same time on the 3g service? And am I understanding that you did not swap sims to accomplish this... therefore using both ipads simultaneously.... so did you simply "sign in" to your account on the new ipad?

fbizzell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 ipads on single data plan

I just talked with AT&T and they said no way can you use the same data plan on 2 different ipads.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fbizzell said:
I just talked with AT&T and they said no way can you use the same data plan on 2 different ipads.

Attempted this myself yesterday with no luck. This was while starting up a new iPad and initial AT&T setup which required me to input all new info to include a different email than our other iPad ....? Good thing I had an extra.

I wonder however if,,,, when you perform a "restore" on a 3G model - I know it doesn't ask for all of your info for 3G, only your account login. I wonder if you entered the same login info as the other 3G at that point if both would link/share a connection (inadvertently-unknown to AT&T :) )

Hmmmmm

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is ipad can tether 3g to other ipad without pay 3g 2 data plan via wifi.. to (1) 3g.

ie.
other switch off 1 of 3g data plan that via wifi to one of 3g active.... it might trick work.... as iphone do can 3g tether to wifi model ipad. i thought worth to try use it trick..

i am not geek wizard.

let me if my trick are work...

OP
F

fgcook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BrennB said:
I'm curious too... to the OP did you try using both ipads at the same time on the 3g service? And am I understanding that you did not swap sims to accomplish this... therefore using both ipads simultaneously.... so did you simply "sign in" to your account on the new ipad?

Correct. I just signed into the new pad with my ID. They both work fine. However I am out of the country right now and for some reason they did not share my international plan? Otherwise everything is working well.

1035princess

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct. I just signed into the new pad with my ID. They both work fine. However I am out of the country right now and for some reason they did not share my international plan? Otherwise everything is working well.

I had the same situation, I called AT&T to ask how to change my data plan over to my new iPad and they told me to go into a store for help, so I decided to just try logging into my data plan account through the setting on the new iPad - now both of them are working off of the same 3G.

I dont know if something will change during my next billing cycle or if something might happen if I try to sync the old iPad to a new computer, but everything's good so far.

Most reactions

Latest posts