What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What 3G Sim Only Plan to Get for iPad 2?

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm going to be getting an iPad when I go on holiday to the US (from the UK) after Christmas. But the last thing I need to be sure about before I'm definitely going to to get one is 3g usage, I'm a little unsure of how it'll work etc - In the UK. So I've joined your forums early for some help. Oh yes and I understand I need to buy an AT&T version to make it work here in the UK?

Going to get an iPad 2 with 3G facility - incase I ever need it. I'm familiar with iOS usage since I've had an iPod touch for two years, just not 3g on an iOS device. I'm only planning on using 3g occasionally when out of WiFi area. Since the device will usually be used at home.

I'm looking to buy a sim card for it. I would like one on which I can use 3g on a PAYG Basis, for the odd occasions where I may want just a few minutes internet use every so often. So I "only pay for what I use" Although not as good value as "contracts" since I wont be using it very often. But, there may be the odd day where I may need a larger amount of internet usage, usually just for one day where for example I may need to do work for a few hours and so be online all that time - of course whilst out of WiFi. I would not like to use that on a PAYG basis since it would be very expensive.

I would like to be able to, simply, use PAYG by default on my iPAd with the option to add a "daily bundle" once in a while. I realise I may need to buy two sims, one for each plan. But I do not have a clue what plans to go for.

Orange do PAYG for 5p per MB, which would be OK. But firstly, how does this work? - do I topup with credit?

And can I buy a 200MB daily bundle for example ontop of this plan, also with orange. On the same card. And how would I go about purchasing this? On the device? Also, is this a daily bundle recurring or just a one off payment for the day you purchase on?

And if you know, are there any better value daily plans for 3g usage - ideally I'd need about 500MB on a day in which I need to be online for a while.

Many Thanks,
I Look forward to enjoying your forums in the future if I get an iPad.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Yes, get an At&T model if you're buying in the U.S.

No, you must get Verizon. JK, I couldn't resist!!! AT&T IS better as it is global with a sim card. Verizon is Primarily US based which means I will not be using mine if I travel overseas ;)

Happy Holidays!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok great, I now know its ging to fine to buy one on your side. But how does 3G work on the device? please?

You swap out the AT&T SIM card and use a SIM card from whatever carrier you choose. I've used Orange in the UK, but I was there only temporarily and didn't shop around.

OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I understand how a sim card works! I want to know about actually using 3g on the bloody device! I just feel as though nobody is reading my post :(

OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No! what are my options? How does managing your account work? Can I buy a bundle ontop of PAYG? etc.
And ive been on countless websites already...

OP
G

Gordon49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fine, well thanks for your "help" so far not found this forum to be very helpful. Anyway, sorry and thanks for what you've given. I'm just gonna dive in and hope for the best. May see you back here later when I have an iPad.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gordon49 said:
Fine, well thanks for your "help" so far not found this forum to be very helpful. Anyway, sorry and thanks for what you've given. I'm just gonna dive in and hope for the best. May see you back here later when I have an iPad.

Maybe if you were clearer???

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you are not happy with the advice that you have been given however, I have just deleted three more threads with the same title as posting duplicate threads is not in accordance with the forum rules.

The reason that you haven't got the answer that you require could be a number of things including the appropriate member with the answer you need hasn't logged on since you asked your question, the question is maybe not clear to our members or maybe nobody knows but sit tight and if someone does know the answer they will post it for you.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition, very few people "hang out" at the carriers section of this forum. So, I've moved this thread over to the Help section. Hopefully, more people will see your situation and be able to help out.

In the future, please do not post more threads because you felt you did not receive what you consider to be adequate or prompt help. People here will help, or not - posting additional threads merely breaks this forum's rules and confuses everyone as they try to follow a conversation. Please: One question/topic = one thread.

Thanks.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts